More CD 10 Questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

More CD 10 Questions

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

This post will work if my pics have uploaded properly.

I am getting around to preparing my CD 10 for launch and I find two problems I could use some help on.

Problem one: If you look at the sail pic you will see sag just below the top section of the mast. The mast appears to be raised properly and the sail (quite old) is the proper size - I measured it. The sag is about 3-4 inches of material. I welcome any advice on this - I did go to the CD specifications section of this board and I think it is rigged properly.

Problem two: I have the proper tiller but the two pins on the tiller have been moved so that the tiller handle does not clear the transom while horizontal. This will be shown in the pic. My thought is to move the pins (not original) so that the tiller properly clears transom - but one curious thing is that the things that hold the pins (gudgeons?) have been moved as well. The gudgeons look original (bronze) the pintles are replacements - stainless. Also the original literature described the rudder as using a locking pin - so it stays in place - I wonder if this is at all significant.
IMG_0209.jpg
IMG_0210.jpg
IMG_0211.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: More CD 10 Questions

Post by Oswego John »

Dick,

I'm not sure, just a guess, but I think that the sliding gunter has to be raised a few inches.

On the rudder, I think that the PO changed the height of the rudder blade straps/pintles. Maybe you might have to lower them on the blade.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Dick, I am not sure about the rudder but that is definitely not the original tiller. I have a feeling someone lost the original rudder and found an Opti unit to replace it with.

It looks like you need to take the lowest line off the upper mast section and tie a loop around the lower mast. Do you have a down haul on the boom? One of my Gunter rigs has grommets the lace the sail to the lower section but not all of them do.

On a related topic, I took the advice you were given on oar length after measuring the width of the CD-10 and Cd-14. I was using 7&1/2' oars on both and the oars came with the CD-14. I noticed that I was choked up in the leathers while rowing the CD-10 and the forward station in the CD-14. I cut down one set of oars to 7' and turned new grips. This should not only gives me the proper length oars for the CD-10 but also allowed me to switch to the tapered grips which I prefer to the barrel style that were on that set of oars.

Get that little baby in the water and have some fun, Steve.
Jhetch

Post by Jhetch »

That definitely looks a bit small on the rudder. Mine is much larger, but I can't be absolutely sure that it's original. Can send you a paper template if you want?

Joe
Derby CD28 #267
Dory CD10 #2210