Gel Coat

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

BrianW

Gel Coat

Post by BrianW »

I'm doing some repair work on my '86 CD28. It needed to do a bit of re-coring on the port deck. As usual, these forums have been a great source of information for me.

In doing my research I found out about Gel-Coat products so I figured I'd post some current info for the next person. They were very helpful over the phone. I gave them some color numbers that I found on this forum but they didn't have that information anymore. They have their colors listed by year and make.

I was able to purchase 1985 Cape Dory White and CD Beige at $89 per quart. I know the color probably won't be exact due to fading but I'm sure it will be far closer than if I tried to match it myself. They also have an exact color matching service if you send a sample.

Gel-Coat Products
P.O. Box 17336
1109 Northwest 52nd
Seattle, WA 98107
206-781-1162

I'll post a follow-up when I get the stuff.

(I'm not affiliated with Gel-Coat products in any way.)
s/v CATALPA
1986 CD28 #385
Dartmouth, MA
Klem

Post by Klem »

Thanks for the tip. I will be tackling a similar project in the fall.
Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

fade

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

I bought some of their gelcoat matched to a chip from my deck (I think that they gave it the #8400) and was convinced that it would never fade enough to make it match, but after about 3 years it was perfect. My boat is a 1982.
Alan Holman
Location: As of 10/11/09 the proud new owner of Solo Noi(renaming scheduled for summer 2010)

gel coat

Post by Alan Holman »

Here's the url for the website

http://gelcoatproducts.com/boat.html
Sometimes your vessel's becalmed for days and weeks on end,
Sometimes the winds of life will blow you off your course, my friend,
But the wind is sure to veer, you must stay aboard and steer,
And long may your big jib draw!
mattlydon

that gelcoat is particularly pricey!!

Post by mattlydon »

Jamestown seems to have quarts for about $35....why's this guy want so much? I mean, if you have a database of color matches, fine, it's worth a bit....but triple the going rate?

Has anyone else figured out the proper tint for CD's?
Maine Sail

Advance Coatings

Post by Maine Sail »

Advance Coatings in Westminister, MA will do a color match gallon (min quantity for a match) for bout $120.00 / gal.. 978-874-5921
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
nessie

Re: Gel Coat

Post by nessie »

Hi,
Bumping this old thread up. I also am wondering if anyone has had luck (good or bad) getting a color match with Jamestown's gelcoat. Which color did you order?

I have a 1984 CD30 which need a little hull touchup.
Thanks in advance,
Ted
CruiseAlong
Seaford, VA

Post by CruiseAlong »

The 1985 Gelcoat Products beige and white was mine for a CD26. I was using it for gel coat cracks. The "chips" I provided was from non-sun, non-wear areas of the boat so it was a very good representation of the original as new deck colors.
Dana
nessie

Post by nessie »

Do you think any of these are close?
http://images.jamestowndistributors.com ... chart2.jpg
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

Did some work on my CD 28 port deck last fall. Found Kiwi Anti Skid to be great product to cover up the work....used it also after doing a recore of my cockpit....looks great. Highly recommend. Only weak point is that I put the stuff down a day prior to last years hurricane coming up thru the East coast, water running over the portholes left a green trail....it has not gotten worse so I believe it had to do with the timing of the rain over fresh product.

V/r
Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.