Leather

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

GinoDelG

Leather

Post by GinoDelG »

Anyone know of a good place to buy pieces of leather? I'd like to use them to craft protection for various chafe points on my CD28.
Steve Laume

Re: Leather

Post by Steve Laume »

These guys have been around, longer than forever, Steve. https://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/e ... 2-334.aspx

Yikes, I just noticed you need to buy a whole elk hide. That gets it up over $200.00. Those puppies are pretty big.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

I used part of a set of SeaDog leather mooring line chafe guards, available at most marine stores, to make a chafe guard for my tiller, which I store in the upright position.

But if you're looking for more leather products, try this outfit from Seattle:

http://www.boatleather.com. I haven't tried them, but they were recommended in Practical Sailor a while back.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Jim Evans

Post by Jim Evans »

Sailrite is also a good source for leather, as well as all the sewing supplies you might need. They also have a helpful article on working with leather on their product page - under the Documents tab. http://www.sailrite.com/Leather-2-3oz-P ... ey-Cowhide
Jim Evans
Tom Keevil

Post by Tom Keevil »

MacPherson Leather in Seattle has a large bin in which they toss scraps from things they are making. Prices are very reasonable. Of course you didn't say where you live so this might not be convenient for you.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I find great leather pieces good for chafe guard applications at my local Axeman Surplus shops. I would at least check your nearest surplus shop and see if they carry some in a barrel. A local canvas repair shop may have a seconds or scraps bin as well.
Paul
CDSOA Member
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Check craigs list (free).. If someone is giving away an old leather couch or chair you can strip it for the leather and scrap the frame.
Have A Nice Day
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I buyleather from Tandy all the time, I make knife sheaths and other small cases. I don't know about elk but you can certainly buy smaller pieces of cow hide. I am lucky there is a Tandy store in Baltimore though. They may sell only larger pieces from their web site. I already have ideas on leather uses on my future boat.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

eBay

Post by Neil Gordon »

There are all sorts of leather scraps listed on eBay.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698