Advice on Selling a Cape Dory 33 in Charleston, SC

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
Ronn

Advice on Selling a Cape Dory 33 in Charleston, SC

Post by Ronn »

Sadly, Sheila & I have decided to sell our '33, "Audacity," located in Charleston, SC.

We've had her a long time now and our last broker is long gone. I could use any advice anyone might give on good brokers for our boats in the area, if online sale-by-owner services are worth trying, how to set a price, what's worth "spiffing up" (teak, bottom paint) and what's not, etc.

Especially advice I don't even know I need. It's been a long time since I sold a boat and the world's changed a bit.

Thanks for your help,

Ron
wizard

Re: Advice on Selling a Cape Dory 33 in Charleston, SC

Post by wizard »

Hi Ronn, in the "for what's it worth column" if you have owned the boat for a considerable time, it might not be a bad idea to get a recent survey done by a real good surveyor. Now normally the prospective buyer would pay for this, but it might head off any major unforseens for you that kills a deal. If it does turn up something that really needs fixing, you then have the time to find reputable repair professionals instead of being put between a rock and a hard place when the deal is on the line. The next thing would be to remove everything of a personal nature off the boat. Most people when they board the boat and see things, they don't want to be told, "that doesn't go with the boat". Next, a really detailed spec sheet about the boat, what you have done to the boat and what year you did it. I would also look at the paperwork of the boat, the maintenance schedules that were done both on the engine and of course sails and standing and running rigging. Lastly, I would want to know how old the electronics are and fully expect to probably not recoup more than 30% on the dollar on electronics, as the technology updates extremely quick. I would also want to know about chainplate inspection, thru-hulls etc. which the survey would really address. All of that you would have in hand. Don't know about your teak, I prefer varnished, but to each their own. If the teak is cleaned then of course it is a clean slate to do with what you want. I would want to see the brand of bottom paint you have on, which would be in your maintenance book. Lastly, when you are really done and really ready to sell, price it accordingly. I hope this helps. Hopefully, other members will weigh in on this to help you glean what you need to sell your boat as painlessly as possible. Randy
Ronn

Post by Ronn »

Thank you, wizard.

Good advice, some I've started and others you've added to my to-do list.
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Post by Gary M »

Hi Ronn,

Personally I think a good broker is worth the money so I would start looking for recommendations for a broker in your area.

Then I have three recommendations:

1) "Curb appeal." It is your decision on how you can spiff up your boat and a good broker will have ideas too. Think dock lines, hull wax, varnish, running rigging and so on. When the prospective buyer approaches your boat he is going to get a first impression. Make that a good impression.

2) Get everything off of the boat. All your personnel stuff and even stuff like an inflatable dinghy that takes up a lot of room even if you plan to include it with the boat. After everything is removed clean all the lockers.

Take extra anchors and rode home even if they are included in the sale.

Take all the pots and pans home, take your tools home except for a basic tool kit.

Take your spares home.

The prospective buyer is going to look into every locker. If they're full, he will wonder if he needs more room. If the lockers are empty he will imagine he has so much room he could never fill all these lockers up.

3) Do what ever it takes to make the inside smell fresh, with out adding a cover up smell.

It is also my belief that a low price doesn't necessarily mean you will sell the boat faster. The first thing you need is a buyer that likes your boat. Once you find that buyer you price can come down to close the deal.

Good Luck
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

FWIW, I looked at a LOT of Cape Dory sailboats both when I was searching for Typhoon Weekender and when I was searching for a Cape Dory 25D. A lot of Cape Dory sailboats.

I agree with everything Randy (a/k/a "Wizard") said and, with one exception, everything my friend Gary said.

In my experience a broker is pretty useless in the role of "salesman" of a Cape Dory sailboat. In my experience, the ones I had to deal with knew little to nothing about the Cape Dory they were offering for sale. I had one tell me an O/B on a Cape Dory 27 was factory. I had another tell me ALL Cape Dory 25Ds came with wheel and tillers were an "option". As dumb as I was (and still am) even I knew this information was wrong.

As you said in your post, you have cared for her "a long time". No one, absolutely no one, can present her features, assets, etc. better than you.

If you live a long distance from S/V Audacity (your Cape Dory 33) then a broker may be a reluctant necessity because you will probably get a lot of "tire kickers". You will find it tiring to drive 2 hours each way just to have someone do a 15 minute "walk around", say "nice boat" and leave.

Remember also, when presented with an offer by a broker, just like a real estate agent, they want the deal done NOW, regardless of whether the selling price is $40,000 (your price) or $30,000 (the prospective buyer's price). The broker gets 10% - either $4,000 or $3,000. If he can make the sale now, he's "out" only $1,000 but pockets $3,000 and moves on to another boat sale. You are out $9,000 by believing the broker when he tells you $30,000 is "a great deal; take it now".

You may not have noticed. I have no love for brokers - especially brokers for sellers. :wink:

I was always impressed when a seller/owner had a sheet showing maintenance records, equipment invoices, upgrades, etc. I was also impressed with a seller who said "let's go sailing; see how she sails". Cape Dory sailboats sell themselves in the hands of the right sailor.

Also, and I say this respectfully, make sure you really, really want to sell. If you do, then you have to create some separation between you and your "child". I met two Cape Dory owners who truly loved their Cape Dory sailboats. While they offered their baby for sale, they really did not have a desire to sell. One guy posted a small "For Sale" sign on the port side near the bow on his Cape Dory 27 kept at a marina stern in with the sign facing out to sea. No one walking the pier would likely see it. He promised his wife he put a "For Sale" sign on his baby. He did; he was honest; just not in the mood to sell.

If you decide to sell her yourself, http://www.sailboatlistings.com and http://www.boattrader.com are good. If you hire a broker, he can advertise in http://www.yachtworld.com. Make sure you check the ad to see that there are no mistakes. Brokers for sellers generally do not know their sailboats, they have no real licensing or certification process and are interested in only one thing - sell it and sell it NOW.

I wish you well in your efforts. Hopefully, someone who loves Cape Dory sailboats and their history will soon take over care and custody of S/V Audacity.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I am actively looking for a 33. When you get organized, send me your listing and photos. I live in Baltimore. Thanks.
wizard

Post by wizard »

Hi Vincent, I was thinking of you, but I figured you would see this. This might be the one for you, I'm sure she has been loved and cared for, good luck.
Ronn

Post by Ronn »

Vincent wrote:I am actively looking for a 33. When you get organized, send me your listing and photos. I live in Baltimore. Thanks.
I will absolutely start passing along information as I get myself sorted out. Feel free to ask any questions or for any additional pictures as I start putting together her specs and document her with images.

Ron
Ronn

Post by Ronn »

Robert,

Thank you for all your help. My preference is to sell direct and you've reinforced that bias with your post.

While I've been a poor participant in the online community, I do love the instant bond two Cape Dory owners share when they meet. My reason for selling is exactly that love of the boat and community. We're just not able to make the trip down to Charleston nearly often enough and it doesn't seem fair to Audacity. I'd love to see her in the hands of someone who will take her out for what she was meant to do. I'd like to see that same excitement that I felt the day I bought her, in fact the day I bought each of my Cape Dorys.

I may well be able to avoid a broker precisely because of the Cape Dory community. Someone who already knows they want a '33 would be the person I'd like to sell to.

Again, thank you all.

Ron
bamabratsche

Post by bamabratsche »

I would second Robert's advice on really being sure you want to sell, and add that it's good to be honest about what a fair price is. That is not to say taking less than what she's worth, but just doing enough research to know what other CDs in similar condition are going for, and then having a firm idea of what your real minimum price is before starting to negotiate with a buyer. A knowledgeable buyer will understand that a well-cared-for Cape Dory is worth the investment, but it is good to firmly establish your own parameters before going into the process.

Like Robert, I looked at a lot of boats before deciding on the one I ended up buying. Several people with solid but "worn-around-the-edges" Typhoons seemed to have been looking at ads for professionally restored ones, and fully expecting to get something similar for a boat with peeling varnish, tired sails, and frozen winches. I made what I felt was a more reasonable offer on one, which the seller grudgingly accepted, but after a lot of planning he backed out at the last minute and in the process tried to make me feel like I had been unreasonable. I got the impression it was the old story of his wife wanted the boat gone, he wasn't so sure he did, and maintaining a high asking price was his way of delaying the inevitable. In any case, I was pretty disappointed and he was kind of a @#&$*% about the whole thing. The seller of the one I did buy seemed to have a much clearer and much more realistic idea of what he expected to get for it, and the whole process went very smoothly.
wizard

Post by wizard »

While I can concur on most things that have been voiced, many in this economy are looking for a "distressed seller", not a "distressed boat", regardless of size. I for one appreciate an owner who can document the expenditures of what was spent on the boat under their care. It is difficult to argue when you see the receipts, you either want the boat or you don't, when an owner has these types of expenditure documents. From that point on, you negotiate in good faith, sometimes, you make the sale, other times you do not. In my opinion, you can buy a less expensive boat and then spend the money to fix it up. Most times, you are back up to the level of the boat that has had the previous owner do the work in a professional manner and at that, it is ready to sail away and enjoy. Obviously it depends on what the seller wants for their return on investment. The intangible of recreational use is open for debate, and some costs you cannot expect to recoup. Just some thoughts on buying and selling, I'm sure other members will have their thoughts as well.
Ronn

Post by Ronn »

I've been in the mountains and out of cell/'net coverage.

Now that I'm back I wanted to thank everyone again for the information and advice. I'm headed back down to the boat this week to continue to document her with photographs and do some maintenance.

The reasons we've decided to sell are carefully considered and good for us but I will miss this community. There's nothing like finding another Cape Dory when you pull into a new marina.

Ron
wizard

Post by wizard »

Ron, I'm sure thru your travels you have met some nice Cape Dory sailors, I know I have. I'm sure with them, there would be an offer at times to go sailing and scratch the sailing itch that gets us all at one time or another. Now if you wish to ever downsize, I have 2 Cape Dorys a 27' (that's for sale by the way) and a 31'. A shameless plug never hurts anyone, lol. At any rate, I'm sure you'll make out just fine. If you ever get to Florida, look me up. Randy
Ronn

Post by Ronn »

Plug away! You're in the right forum. :)

I bought my first Cape Dory from a friend in the Coast Guard. It was a Typhoon Weekender and I still wish I'd never sold that her.

Wonderful little boat for a day in the harbor.
shchog

Post by shchog »

Is she still available? If so , for how much ? I , myself , wouldn't mind to see a pics at least.... Yeah .... I am looking for CD . Haven't decided yet , 33 or 36.