CD27 "repower"

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

rorik

Re: CD27 "repower"

Post by rorik »

I re powered with a Nanni N2.14. Same Kubota base as Beta 14, but some marinisation details are different. I didn't change the engine bed, but did have some blocks machined out of UHMW to raise the engine up to the required height.
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
Shinok

Post by Shinok »

I'm gonna contact the electric motor folks, see what they say about what kind of speed/range I can get. It's worth looking into before we make a final decision.

I really like the idea, I just worry about the range.
Brian2

electric

Post by Brian2 »

I think the electric motors use a diesel engine for generating power, so range should not be any more of an issue with electric than with a standard engine.

Brian
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

Shinok wrote:
tjr818 wrote:I would love to go electric. We sail on the Mississippi River above Saint Louis. All we use our motor for is to get in and out of the harbor. We only need it for a few minutes each sail, but because it is a diesel we feel have to "run" it every time to be sure it gets warmed up. I would sure think Electric would be cheaper than a new diesel.
With the electric stuff, I am awfully tempted because I can reduce the amount of installation required and number of holes in the hull, it's also cheaper than a new diesel.

I just worry about how well it'll work, most folks I talk to seem to indicate the technology isn't "there yet", but is getting close. I'm not a big fan of being an early adopter of technology, so I'm hesitant. I want to like the idea, I just haven't been sold on it yet.

I also wonder what recharging the batteries looks like. I know with some of them, sailing with the motor engaged will charge the batteries, but I'd imagine you would want other sources as well (shore power, solar, wind generator, gas generator).
Electric motors for boats have been around longer than internal combustion engines. That portion of the technology is well developed. Sailboats being displacement hulls are ideally suited for electric conversion. The limiting factor has been the "electrical storage" portion. The limitations are that one can have high speed for a short time or slow speed for a longer time.

You have to make the decision as to how much "electric fuel" (i.e. battery storage and technologies) you want and need. If you need to motor for very long distances and/or against strong currents/tides, you may not want to go fully electric. Most people who have converted larger boats will have a portable generator "just in case".

I have a Torqeedo Cruise 2.0 outboard on my Capri 22. Its performance is equivalent to the Nissan 5 HP 2-cycle engine I still own (but haven't used in the last two years). I have 4 GC2 (golf cart) batteries that will run for 2 hours at full speed or 16+ hours at 2-3 knots. Last year I used a 100 watt solar panel to charge the batteries while on a mooring. We sail most weekends and rush out for the start of the Wednesday evening races (late as usual). We never had problems with the batteries not being charged. Mostly we enjoy having a quiet reliable power source at our fingertips.

I would suggest looking into the electric conversion one more time and factor in how you regularly use your motor. If it is primarily motoring in/out of the mooring field into the harbor, some motor-sailing (very efficient use of the batteries and wind), you may be an excellent candidate. If you have to be places on tight schedules, it may be best to stick with the diesel.

I have very happy with my decision. My CD-25 will soon have an electric motor, too!
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane