weeping keel

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

dougw

weeping keel

Post by dougw »

On the rear part of the keel area of my CD 27, I have 2 small areas (about 1/4 inch) that appear to be weeping or dripping moisture. This is above the rudder shoe on the lower part of the keel. Any ideas as to what could be causing this or a fix?

Also, just re-rigged the boat and was looking for the correct spec for tightening the stays

Thanks,

Doug
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Re: weeping keel

Post by Gary M »

Could it be blisters?

Have you tried to open the area up a little?

Gary
camroll

Post by camroll »

I have the same issue on my CD28. I'm not sure what causes the weeping. I have installed a garboard plug to drain water out of the bilge in the winter but I still have some weeping.

On shroud tension there is no "correct" tension as it all depends on how you want to tune your rig. When we step masts at the marina we just bring all the shrouds up snug and leave the final tuning to the boat owner. If you have access to a Loos tension gauge you can fine tune with that. They some good info on their web site at http://loosnaples.com/how-to-use-90-91. Good luck

Russ
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I had the similar thing happen to My CD Ty after inspection I decided to tear into the area and found that the fiberglass had absorbed water and the filler in front of the rudder shoe in the keel has also absorbed water like a sponge. Evidently the water when it sat in the fiberglass "rotted" the epoxy/filler and during the summer the hull absorbed water then when hauled, it slowly dripped out. I was able to repair it after digging the "rotted" filler out and replacing with new epoxy resin/filler. Just a thought, but this may have happened to your boat.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I had a similar problem.
Here is a link to what I did about it. When the page pops up, scroll down to 15 and 16 March 2010.

http://www.farreachvoyages.com/dailylog ... jul10.html