Broken Typhoon spreader

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

robertenglish

Broken Typhoon spreader

Post by robertenglish »

I have a 1975 Typhoon and I need to replace the spreaders.. Any suggestions?
Jeff D

Re: Broken Typhoon spreader

Post by Jeff D »

I was able to source a direct replacement for my 1985 from Rig Rite. I have bought a few items from them with a range of experiences ranging from poor to good.
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Robert- Do a search on this site, we just had a discussion on this a couple of weeks ago.
gvanbell

Re: Broken Typhoon spreader - Rig Rite

Post by gvanbell »

Rig Rite has them in stock. But after dealing with them in the refit of our 27 and the rigging of the Typhoon we just bought, I seriously wish there was another option.

Knowing what I know about their customer service and pricing, from here on out I will go to a custom fabrication shop in town and give my business to someone who wants it and earns it.

End rant about Rig Rite. If anyone wants to hear the horror stories, PM me.
jim ventrilio
S/V San Angelo

Post by jim ventrilio »

If you haven't already done so, you can make your own...easy and cheap. My local Ace hardware sells tube aluminum. I bought a length that matched the diameter of the original spreader and used one of those pipe cutters plumbers use to cut copper tube. You can find those at the same ACE store. If not there then try Home Depot or Lowes. Don't pay tremendous prices for pre cut stuff from some marine supplier. I made two for my Ty for well under the Rig-Rite price for a single spreader. And they don't need to be made from aircraft aluminum either!