What CDI furler for a Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ernie Pollard

What CDI furler for a Typhoon

Post by Ernie Pollard »

I want to add roller furling to my Typhoon. I am interested in the cruising design furlers. Is the FF1 or FF2 the one for the TY?? I will be using a 100% jib.
John Martin

Re: What CDI furler for a Typhoon

Post by John Martin »

Have you tried calling them? They may have that info handy. It may be just based on the stay length.
John & Nancy Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985
Joe Montana
Member 781

Post by Joe Montana »

Ernie, I installed a CDI Flexible Furler FF2 on my Ty daysailer in 2001. I've not had a single problem with it.
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I installed the FF1 for my Ty weekender - using a 135 genny. I bought it from Rigging Only - best price and best advice. They recommended the FF2 but when I told them that I could use a smaller diameter line they provided the line and advice. I made sure that I ordered the smaller line diameter so it would all furl into the drum - but for a 100% you will not have a problem. Make sure that you get the extra bearing option. You need to send your forestay in its normal setting for adjustment and they will make a bew forestay and send your old one back with it. That way you can always use a hank-on genny if the option arises. I really like the roller furler - once you get the experience of setting it up and taking it down. I didn't want to screw the turning block to the teak rail so I installed a small block on the forestay tang with a shackle and ran the furling line back to the cleat on the cabin top where the jib cleats however with the jib you need to anchor the roller furling elsewhere. If you are going for a 150 or 170 you may want the FF2 only because of the amount of line that can fit on the drum. Yoiu will really appreciate the pleasure of not going up onto the bow to retrieve the jib!
Ernie Pollard

Post by Ernie Pollard »

Dick

Followed your advice, emailed Riggingonly and got a quote for the FF1 and new forestay, used your order as a reference, Tom followed it and gave me a good price . Furler is completed , assembled with new forestay and on its way to me and thats the story. Thanks for your help. Ernie