Inflatable Dinghy Floor Opinions Wanted

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bill Moore
Portland, ME

Inflatable Dinghy Floor Opinions Wanted

Post by Bill Moore »

I am planning to buy an inflatable and wonder about people's experiences with a couple of floor options. My decision criteria centers around: 1) stability underfoot, 2) cheap, and 3) storage (I sail a 22). The Mercury 200 inflatable on Defender looks like it will fit the cheap criteria, but which floor? I suspect the air floor better fulfills the storage requirement, the slat wood floor better fits the stability under foot. Opinions?

Bill
pete faga

Re: Inflatable Dinghy Floor Opinions Wanted

Post by pete faga »

Hi Bill.you are right on with #3 storage.I have the Mercury 8.6 with air deck. It rolls up and bags o.k. When I take it South in the car. I have never owned one with wood floor/slats so can't offer a comparison.My model has a inflatable keel so I have no issue with stability. If you are going to do a lot of fly fishing maybe the wood will work better. Try checking out one assembled at the store or upcoming boat shows.The boat shows offer some good deals. Pete
Keith

Post by Keith »

Bill,

I have had both version of zodiacs. I'm assuming that the Mercurys would be the same.
1. Storage - They are about the same because the slats just roll up with the pontoons and then fit in the carry bag.
2. Stability - The inflatable floor with inflatable keel is actually much more stable then the slats. With the slats you can feel the water ripple under the boat and your feet sink in a bit as you stand and move about.

My preference is by far the inflatable floor. I hope this helps with your decision.

Keith
Michael_Typhoon

Post by Michael_Typhoon »

Hey Bill -

I have a 6 ft West Marine inflatable with wood slat floor. But, the slats are spaced about 4 inches apart, at least. So, the floor is really just the PVC fabric with stringers of wood. Not very satisfying, to me. And the stringers have to be pretty flexible, or they would poke holes in the floor.
But, rolls up easily.

I have not tried an inflatable floor, but I can imagine it would be better than what I have!

Michael
Jim Evans

Post by Jim Evans »

I bought a Walker Bay Odyssey inflatable air floor several years ago - great boat, but it's been discontinued. I much prefer the air floor over a slat floor, and I agree with all the previous comments regarding stability of the air floor. It's also a more rigid hull. But consider that the air floor requires an inflation pressure of about 11 psi, and that's a lot of work with a manual pump. If you purchase an air floor, I'd consider also getting an electric pump, like the Bravo SuperTurbo that Defender sells. I have one of those, and they are worth their weight in gold. The electric pump is also great for deflating the dinghy, to get it just as tight and compact as when it's new.
Jim Evans
Bill Moore
Portland, ME

Post by Bill Moore »

Thanks! This really helps. Jim, I had not thought of using an inflator for deflation. That's brilliant...