Foredeck cleat

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JBA

Foredeck cleat

Post by JBA »

Hello all,

My gernoa sheets get caught on my centerline foredeck cleat while tacking. Does anyone else have the same problem? Any solution?

Thanks, JBA
Steve Laume

Re: Foredeck cleat

Post by Steve Laume »

You could keep some tension on your lazy sheet while tacking. Rig a line from somewhere on the bow to the base of the mast or make up a cleat cover.

A cleat cover could be made out of wood in two parts to fit around the cleat and be held in place with shock cord or a piece of light line.

It could also lessen the possibility and or severity of stubbed toes. It might be a bit of a pain to deal with when preparing to anchor but the benefits may out weigh the negatives, Steve.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

I'd opt for just taking out the slack.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Buy a catboat!
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

+1 on the cleat shoes. Shape wood blocks with a bevel on the front edge and a recess to engage the horn of the cleat. Drill holes crossways and install a bungee in a loop on two blocks. Tension it so you can pull the shoes off the cleats, but they are held on securely. The sheets will slide over the cleats forever more.

Used them racing on a Benetau 40.5, worked like a charm on spinnaker lines, genoas, and everything else. They also are toe savers, which is one more good reason to have them.

The crappy MSpaint is a result of a beer or two...

tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

Maine_Buzzard wrote:+1 on the cleat shoes. Shape wood blocks with a bevel on the front edge and a recess to engage the horn of the cleat. Drill holes crossways and install a bungee in a loop on two blocks. Tension it so you can pull the shoes off the cleats, but they are held on securely. The sheets will slide over the cleats forever more.

Used them racing on a Benetau 40.5, worked like a charm on spinnaker lines, genoas, and everything else. They also are toe savers, which is one more good reason to have them.

The crappy MSpaint is a result of a beer or two...

Well done; thanks.

dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
JBA

Post by JBA »

Thanks for the suggestions. I used to have a catboat so I know what you mean.
One consideration is that I singlehand most of the time. At this point, cleat shoes seem to make the most sense.

Thanks, JBA
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Jba. The catboat suggestion was just in fun. I never had my headsails sheet foul with the deck cleat but I did a few times had the sheet get wrapped on the mast cleat.!
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

pete faga wrote:The catboat suggestion was just in fun.
Pete,

Don't make fun of catboats! I grew up sailing them and sometimes miss my Marshall.

Seriously, keeping the lazy sheets somewhat taut is the best way to handle this.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Carl Thunberg

Really Elegant Solution

Post by Carl Thunberg »

It makes me wish I had a foredeck cleat just so I could copy your design.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton