WANT A TRAWLER OR M/S

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

WANT A TRAWLER OR M/S

Post by Parfait's Provider »

This is a good day for ghoulish postings, so with some trepidation, I first want to say that I hope all CD fans are safe and that their boats are as well. However, if a CD trawler or motor sailor appears on the market as a result of storm damage, please forward me the info. My interest would be in repowering with slow displacement speed motoring in mind. I want the quality, not the speed, with some possibility of emergency/stabilizing sail power.

ON THE OTHER HAND, I have CD36 cutter Parfait and will need to dispose of her if I find another boat.

Keep on sailing,

Ken
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
sloopjohnl

Re: WANT A TRAWLER OR M/S

Post by sloopjohnl »

ken,

there is a cd 28 trawler on philadelpia craigslist (and probably baltimore craigslist) located in baltimore, md - 50,000
here's is where it is posted for friday 11/2:
philadelphia craigslist > for sale / wanted > boats - by owner
Parfait's Provider

Wow! That seems like an outrageous price, but thanks for the info.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Russell

Post by Russell »

Why repower a CD with a trawler sized engine rather then just buy a real full displacement trawler? The CD will never give you the comfort or stability of a proper displacement trawler.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Parfait's Provider

Russell,

My alternative, not necessarily ideal, is to use Parfait as a trawler. It is quite unlikely I am going to single-hand her under sail enough to even justify bending on the sails, but if the mast is there and the sails are taking up space below decks, I will bend them on, if only for reasons of safety. Ordinary decent quality trawlers go for three or four times the price of Parfait. I would hope to get a damaged CD trawler/motorsailor for much less. If I can't, you are right. I do not want a semi-displacement hull with the high power and fuel requirements. Parfait with a canvas cockpit enclosure seems like a good alternative, but I'd give up some stability to reduce the draft and expand the gunk holing opportunities.

Keep on sailing,

Ken
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Russell

Post by Russell »

Ken,

You are right, especially about price, even older true trawlers are going for a lot of money these days. As the baby boomer generation ages, the ones who bought all the cruising sailboats which someone like is so happy to buy used for a reasonable price, those same people are wanting to switch to trawlers, not go fast sea rays, so the price of even 20+ year old trawlers is at a premium these days. I have met a lot of cruising types who opt for semi displacement boats instead of full just because you can buy a Grand Banks for a fractions of the price of a similar aged Krogen. Full displacement true trawlers have always existed to some degree, but its only recent that they are commonly built, older "trawlers" tend to be more like what CD built. But that said, I have met many cruisers who have opted to convert their sailboats to trawlers since no affordable options existed otherwise. This is easier with a bolt on keel, literally chop off a foot of the keel (and sell that lead, its worth a ton these days), chop off half the mast, since its just a stabilizing sail now, etc, you get the idea. I dont think Parafat is the right boat for such a conversion, but such boats do exist, look at small motor sailors. Heck, why not, being a CD guy, keep your eye out for a CD30MS? Thats probably your ideal boat! Kind of trawlerish, more a true trawler then a CD28 powerboat is, and you keep your emotional attachment to CDs. But, of course, they are not cheap either, a good CD30MS will sell for more then a similar aged CD36 just because they are such cool boats.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)