Bristol Bronze

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

I bought a bronze prop shaft from him with good service.
Mark Abramski
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Stan you said

"I assumed CDSOA is selective with advertisers. Is that not the case? Can I not trust what the CDSOA presents?"

Maybe I did misunderstand you but I got the impression from your statement above that you were laying some blame on the CDSOA for either endorsing or failing to disclose issues with Bristol Bronze.

I never thought the listing of a vendor was any type of endorsement. If some type of opinion was added, who is going to make the overall judgement about a vendor, good or bad? Even in this post, they were all over the place. Do we want to rely on one persons opinion? Or should we do our own search of past posts and come to our own conclusions?

I guess a 5 star rating system could be added for purchases from vendors the way that some online buying sites rate different buyers but I don't have a clue as to what would be involved or necessarily volunteer anyone to set it up.

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

>>I never thought the listing of a vendor was any type of endorsement.<<

I'm in more than one business networking group. In each, we say, "We refer people we know and trust to people we know and trust." If CDSOA suggests Bristol Bronze or any other vendor as a resource, they should do so with no reason to believe they will be less than reliable. We're not being fair to each other if we do otherwise.

>> If some type of opinion was added, who is going to make the overall judgement about a vendor, good or bad?<<

I think the cases are few and far between. Not to further burden the management, but would a "warning label," where warranted, be left to Cathy's judgement? Not a conclusion, just something like, "There has been considerable discussion about this vendor on the message board," perhaps with a link to the subject threads.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
jim ventrilio
S/V San Angelo

Jim V. and Bristol Bronze

Post by jim ventrilio »

Seems I've created a tempest in a teapot?. My problem is a lack of communication from Bristol Bronze, not the product.

If if was a question of deployment overseas while serving one's country...I can understand that...I'm a veteran of a foreign war. God bless you, Roger, and thank you for serving our country. I mean that.

But if you've going to conduct business, especially on the internet, then everyone in the world with access to the net is a potential customer; not just owners of certain out-of-production boats.

If your offering a service or product, and you won't be able to deliver for a certain amount of time, for whatever reason, put up a notice in your front window, or on your website...people will understand that better than a lack of response. They tend to think you don't care about them, or worse you've taken their money...so, hug your customers...that's something I've borrowed from someone in a family-owned business that's grown incredibly over the last 40 years. Communication is everything.

I thank all who have provided responses to my post.

Jim Ventrilio
mahalocd36

Re: Jim V. and Bristol Bronze

Post by mahalocd36 »

FYI, he is at the Portland, ME boatbuilders show this weekend.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
gates_cliff

Re: Bristol Bronze

Post by gates_cliff »

Does anyone know of a source to get a bronze builder's plate? I checked Bristol Bronze site and they don't list CD plates at all.

Thanks
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Post by RIKanaka »

Aloha,

Bob Chinn
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Now, how in the world did I miss that??? :oops: My wife always wonders why I can't find things, like the mustard or OJ in the refirgerator!!!!!!!

Thanks for the link. I'm going to order one, hopefully my experience will fall on the positive side!
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
RIKanaka

Post by RIKanaka »

Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Bob- was that your Ty I saw advertised on Craigslist?
RIKanaka

Post by RIKanaka »

Mark,
I handed mine over to my brother-in-law since I didn't have the time or energy to work on 2 boats. He's working on fixing it up for 2013 and will sailing it on Candlewood Lake near New Milford.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Doug Jesseman

Post by Doug Jesseman »

Roger informed me, at a very unfortunate time, that polish pencils have erasers at both ends. Also, he is not afraid to use your credit card number to pay others peoples bills. Please be forewarned!!!