CD 10 Trunk Plug Cap

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

SeaChalk

CD 10 Trunk Plug Cap

Post by SeaChalk »

Does anyone have the pattern or source for a TRUNK CAP PLUG for a CD 10?
Cheers
Wolf von Kalben
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Re: CD 10 Trunk Plug Cap

Post by Duncan »

I made a cap for the centreboard trunk (not a plug).
I used the same dimensions as the trim piece on top.
I fastened it by drilling holes in the cap to line up with the existing screws, and then used longer ones.
It still didn't keep water out, so I sandwiched some foam in between later.
The dinghy would still get lots of water in it when towing.
To this day, I'm not really sure where the water gets in.
SeaChalk

Post by SeaChalk »

That might be the route I'll have to take. In the past I stuffed opening with foam but water still manages to get in while towing.
Cheers
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Post by Duncan »

SeaChalk wrote:That might be the route I'll have to take. In the past I stuffed opening with foam but water still manages to get in while towing.
Cheers
I had also tried stuffing something (a towel) in the slot, but that didn't do me any good, either.

I think a plug, held down with latches or a bungee, would be more convenient than the screwed-down one I made.

Water still got in, though.
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I have found that the water gets into the boat between the centerboard trunk wood trim and the trunk. Evidently only the screw holes were caulked not the entire seam between the wood trim and fiberglass. If you pm me I will send a photo of the original centerboard trunk plug - I plan on making one this winter.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Do those of you with water entry problems have the centerboard in place?

I have towed Feather through some pretty serious waves, chop, wind and surfing episodes with no noticeable amount of water entering the boat. The only times I have had serious problems was when the drain plug popped out sometime during a night crossing to Block Island and one time during some exceptionally heavy rain.

We were just about to enter the cut into Great Salt Pond when my son noticed the dink looked funny. We turned about and I got in replaced the plug and bailed before we entered the pond.

The second event was very very heavy rain, the first afternoon of a single handed overnight crossing from Provincetown to Maine. I was worried that the dink could further fill during the night and I had to leave the mother ship and bail the dink in rather rough seas. That was the scariest thing I have ever done on the water.

I just haven't ever had water come through the trunk. The centerboard must slow down the water movement so it can not rise up to overflow. The handle on the centerboard also makes a very convenient place to tie things off, Steve.