Are you happy with Kiwi Grip?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bgephart

Post by bgephart »

I am planning to paint the nonskid portion of my CD25 deck - this will be the first time since it was manufactured in 1979. I have read several posts about plans to use Kiwi Grip in the archives, but I still have a couple of questions:
Did you use the "loopy goopy" roller to texture the Kiwi Grip on top of the molded in nonskid?
Is the molded in nonskid pattern still visible after painting with Kiwi Grip?
Most of the previous posts refer to a "beige" color, but "cream" is what's available now - is that the same?
My deck has a fair number of the cosmetic gelcoat cracks familiar to most CDs - does Kiwi Grip cover them or are they still apparent after painting?
Did you prime the deck before Kiwi Grip? My decks and remaining paint are sound - no flaking.
Are you happy with the results now?
Anything else I need to know?

Thanks,
Bob Gephart
Kevin_P
Location: Former owner of "Meridian"1977 CD30C #58Milwaukee, WI

Re: Are you happy with Kiwi Grip?

Post by Kevin_P »

Yes, I've been very happy with Kiwi Grip. You may want to search this board for previous discussions. There's been plenty. Here are my responses to your questions...
Use the roller that comes with the Kiwi Grip. Takes a little practice, but is pretty easy.
The molded pattern is not visible on my deck.
They have several colors, but you can get white, then take to hardware store to tint to your liking for free...
Gelcoat cracks, I didn't have any but would suggest filling with epoxy and priming beforehand. I primed. Adhesion has been great. No flaking and it has held up well over 3 full seasons.
Priming.. I would sand & prime like you would any other surface.
Hope this helps.
-Kevin
Kevin Petajan
"Vegvisir" - Young Sun 35

Former owner of "Meridian"
1977 CD30C #58
Milwaukee, WI
camroll

Post by camroll »

I put Kiwi Grip on all my non skid last year on my CD 28. I am very happy with it. If you put it on thick enough the molded in non skid won't show through.I sanded down the pattern slightly. Use the loopy roller. It does take some practice. The manufacturer says you don't have to prime you just have to make sure that all the dirt and oils are cleaned off before applying. I applied a second coat over a couple of areas and all I did was wash the areas with soap and water. Gel coat cracks should be ground out and filled with epoxy before coating with Kiwi Grip. Be careful trying to tint it. When I tried at Home Depot the woman mixing paint had no idea how to do it and subsequently she screwed it up. I wanted a grey color and what I ended up with was a yellowy cream. Fortunately Kiwi Grip replaced the ruined quart for free( another testament to this great product) The best advise I can give is do it on a cloudy and cooler day . It dries quickly to the touch. Work in relatively small areas so you can adjust the amount of stipple with the loopy roller. Remove your making tape right away so the edge has a chance to roll over and round off. The real bonus of the product is if you don't like the way it comes out you can just go over it again until you get it right. Good luck

Russ
rorik

Post by rorik »

I put it on Mathilda. Very happy with it.
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
John G.

Good product

Post by John G. »

I used Kiwi Grip on my 25D and am quite pleased with the final result. I had a slight problem (which was my fault) because I tried to do a large area by myself and waited to long to remove tape. The problem was solveable and fixed up nicely. Follow directions closely. I had mine tinted at paint store (not Home Depot) and worked out fine. Previous threads are right on, I would also like to add that this is truely non-skid. While on a good heel standing up in cockpit is no longer a problem. They even called me back after I e-mailed them with issue regarding the tape problem.
bamabratsche

Post by bamabratsche »

I'll add my name to the list of satisfied customers. It was probably the easiest thing I did during the entire restoration process.

The only thing I would say is that if you decide to get it tinted, be prepared for the typical Lowes/hardware store paint person to be very skeptical of your request for them to tint a can of strange paint from New Zealand. I had two places flat-out refuse to do it, although I was never clear what they were worried about exactly, but the third place did it with no problem.
JimMc
Sarasota, FL

Post by JimMc »

I had fantastic results and love the KiwiGrip. My only problem was in having it tinted. As with others, I had some places refuse to tint it. Then when I finally did (at a Home Depot), the can that it came in got dented in the paint shaker and popped open. Apparently there is a difference in circumference between the cans for US gallons and the 4 liter cans used in NZ (where KiwiGrip us made). They are slightly smaller, which allowed the can to move back and forth enough to make a problem.

I didn't lose much... in fact I had a little left over, and the result was amazing.

Use their roller. Work in the shade. Do one panel at a time. Pull the tape immediately.

Jim.
----------------
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I am thinking of redoing the nonskid on S/V Bali Ha'i as well as the other areas of the deck, topsides, etc. when I hope to haul out later this month or early November for a series of projects.

I am not qualified to do this myself so I have been talking with a few "professionals". One person I talked with who has done a lot of work on sailboats moored at the sailing club (so I have seen her work) strongly recommends "Awlgrip with sand" for nonskid.

Does anyone have any recent experience with Awlgrip with sand for the nonskid areas of the deck, cockpit, etc. :?:

This person also suggested that Kiwi Grip has a tendency to fade color after 9-12 months. I am not sure how she would know this or if it is true.

We only chatted briefly on the phone and I did not explore any of the details of the Awlgrip with sand approach, nor her dislike of Kiwi Grip.

Thoughts :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
JimMc
Sarasota, FL

Post by JimMc »

Mine has not faded. And the sand-in-paint method is less effective and doesn't last as long.

Jim.
--------------
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Post by bhartley »

I used straight Kiwigrip Beige with White on the cabin top and seats (they were originally white). I was extremely happy. I did not tint the paint to make it less of an issue to rematch in the future. I don't think I would ever consider using anything else - EVER! It retouches very easily (Awlgrip can't be retouched). It was very simple to prep and apply and it is extremely "grippy", but I can still crawl around on the deck comfortably. Much more comfortable than Interdeck. The other great thing about Kiwigrip is that it is sooooo much easier to keep clean.

We will be redoing the non-skid on Pyxis this spring. It will be Kiwigrip. People say you can paint it over anything without sanding down first. I am not sure I completely agree on this. I extended the edges of the non-skid out 1.5" and the line is obvious. On Pyxis, I will smooth any transitions thoroughly. It is not as obvious as paint, but it does telegraph through.

As for durability, I was sold on it when a friend with a working lobster boat was using it. After three years it still looked great. I am a LOT kinder to my boat.

Bly
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Robert, Bly, et al,

As so often mentioned by the speechmakers lately, let me be perfectly clear. :>) I have nothing against Kiwi Grip. I like Kiwi Grip. I think that it is a great product.

Some readers might consider what I say next as unmitigated nautical heresy. I merely offer the thought as an alternate method of treating decks for non-skid. Point fingers at me and make hissing sounds, if you will.

HOWEVER:
Here is my poor boy method of deck treatment that I have been using for a long time. I have been using Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams or some other reputable exterior, alkyd house paint, the sheen of your choice. After applying the paint, I sprinkle any of a number of makes of grit on top of the paint while it is still wet, salt shaker style. If it is too abrasive, a light second coat of paint can be topped off.

One plastic sack of grit will last me six or more decks, depending on area. A little bit goes a long way. I find that using common beach sand or bank run, sharp sand is not uniform in size. At best, it might be usable when screened and then sifted through a sieve. Aquarium sand might be usable.

Like I previously said, this is an alternate method. I'm sure that you will find that Kiwi Grip will perform very well.
O J

"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Well, as with most "professionals", sometimes they do not know everything.

From the responses, I think I will talk with her again about Kiwi Grip. If she is still of the same view, perhaps I will spend my limited funds elsewhere.

Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

What does her deck look like? I could accept sand on a deck that only received foot traffic, but I wouldn't want to sit on a sand infused deck. I sure would not look forward to sanding a sand covered deck.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Awlgrip makes non skid in various grits. I found the ratio of 1/3 coarse to 2/3 medium to provide a good texture. As has been said if you find it too aggressive knock it down and put on additional top coat. The salt shaker technique works well to apply the non skid particles.
Acrylic 2 part polyurethane paint is easier to work with than Awlgrip - and almost as tough. 'Perfection' would be another user-friendly choice.
if you can apply masking tape to a line and use a paint roller this is not that difficult a project........experiment until your comfortable.
CD 30c #42
S/V "Bluesails"
+ 41.69989
Klem

Post by Klem »

This thread is very timely for me as I have been planning for quite a while to redo my nonskid with kiwi grip this fall. I think that I have everything together to do the project, I just need to put the boat away to do it.

The only thing that I am still trying to decide is whether I want to put on the cover before doing it or not. There is quite a bit of working room under the cover but it isn't as good as without obviously. The advantage of having it on is that I am not working in direct sun, don't have to worry about dust blowing into things (a big issue where I am), and I can control the conditions a lot better through controlling ventilation and using a dehumidifier. I am wondering whether anyone who has used kiwi grip has any suggestions? How are the fumes? We varnish with the cover on but I have never done anything more.