Pedastel Woes.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bandalore

Pedastel Woes.

Post by Bandalore »

I recently rebuilt the cockpit to my 85 CD 30. Through the process, the anchor point for the transmission and throttle cable, which is inside the Pedastel broke. Without this anchor point, the cables are able to move freely and no movement is transferred to the selector lever or fuel lever on my universal M18 engine. The Pedastel has since been reinstalled. Are there any kits available that will allow me to anchor the cables at the base of the Pedastel? The bolts for the compass mount and upper cover of the Pedastel are stubborn and don't seem as if they will come out without destroying something else. I am trying to avoid this, but need a safe, worry-free solution to re-anchoring these cables.
azucha

Re: Pedastel Woes.

Post by azucha »

I also rebuilt the cockpit sole and rebuilt the pedestal. I would suggest you call Edson Marine or send them an e-mail. They are exceptionally helpful in identifying the parts you need. The throttle and transmission cables on the Edson pedestal (1983 CD 30) bend up through the pedestal and have a through-bolted attachment below the transmission/throttle housing. A capnut is visible on the exterior of the pedestal just below the t/t housing behind the wheel. If you have a different arrangement or non-Edson pedestal, please ignore all the above.
Bandalore

Post by Bandalore »

Our pedastel's are the same...

How did you go about accessing it?
azucha

Post by azucha »

My compass binnacle's 3 of 4 bolts came out with a lot of liquid wrench type spray but the 4th required drilling out. After the compass, I loosened the steering wires on quadrant so the chain could be removed from sprocket. Take wheel off. Remove throttle housing and unhook cables. Drive cam that holds steering sprocket out. It's give you working room to access bracket that holds cables.

Edison has a technical publication for pedestal assembly and reassembly.

I took digital pictures along the way to document steps (since deleted) and jog memory for reassembly. I rebuilt needle bearings, etc. while it was apart. I now have solid steering with a useable spares.

Take your time and all goes well. Don't forget to stuff rags down ped to keep things from falling to bottom. After small needle nose, screwdriver, flashlight, several washers and cotter pins feel to depths, I learned to tether everything that I used near the pedestal and pack rags to facilitate shallow retrieval.

My pedestal was put down with 5200 and required wedges driven between cockpit and ped to remove. It finally came up with thin layers of cockpit sole attached. Do not bed with 5200!