Seller's rant

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.

Moderator: bobdugan

MFC
Hull No.128

Re: Seller's rant

Post by MFC »

A few thoughts:
I have found that boats "for sale by owner" are frequently overpriced and the owners often very sensitive about price and condition. That may have something to do with those owners needing a certain amount of money from the boat (and not wanting to pay a broker) and the attachment we all develop to our boats. Conversely, a decent broker isn't offended by an honest assessment of the boat or the market. Brokers understand that boats that sit on the market become less valuable just by virtue of their time on the market (not to mention that a boat which isn't actively maintained will lose value too). A final thought, boats are not simply assets which are bought and sold, they include significant monthly costs which are transferred with them - slip fees, maintenance and all. I have seen plenty of overpriced boats sit on the market long enough for those monthly costs to eat up a huge chunk of the remaining asset value.

None of this excuses rude or callous bargaining. There is no reason a prospective buyer can't justify his or her position in a polite manner that is respectful of the owner / seller.

Matt
Ken Textor

Post by Ken Textor »

In my experience, the internet is full of whack jobs and con artists, as well as some pretty nice and fairminded folks. I agree a boat is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. When selling, I ahve found it has always been a job finding the correct means of finding a reasonable and capable buyer. If Craigslist doesn't work for you, try something else, eBay, Soundings online, etc. Be patient, not outraged. I've sold many boats of the years (20, I think) and bought almost as many. Always been lowballed, always been patient, usually got my asking price, or within 5 per cent of it. But I always examine the market and see what's realistic. Just some thoughts...
whitejw1967

Post by whitejw1967 »

I'm with Bruce (above).

There are lots of folk still asking pre-2008 prices for boats that won't command 70% of that today (at best). A CD 30 cutter for $40-50K? A CD 27 for $28K and another one (albeit stellar) at $35K? Some pricing just isn't realistic.

But I do get the point, especially as someone who hates haggling.
John
satu

Post by satu »

whitejw1967 wrote:I'm with Bruce (above).

There are lots of folk still asking pre-2008 prices for boats that won't command 70% of that today (at best). A CD 30 cutter for $40-50K? A CD 27 for $28K and another one (albeit stellar) at $35K? Some pricing just isn't realistic.

But I do get the point, especially as someone who hates haggling.
For what it's worth, some weeks back, Caliente, the recently revamped red hull CD27 circled my not too shabby 1984 CD27 at the Goslings here in Harpswell, Maine. I'd seen the boat listed on this site and read the details on what had been done. Essentially a total refit, repower, refinish. When originally reviewed, the asking price, $35K?, seemed extreme. Witnessing the boat up close was a sight to behold. Absolutely stunning. Granted, a CD27 in such spectacular form is still limited physically, but I humbly offer, that in this case, the price seemed appropriate for those drawn to perfection.
whitejw1967

Post by whitejw1967 »

True that. Caliente is possibly the most stunning Cape Dory around. Period. She's a rare gem that warrants a higher than normal price. However, she's the exception rather than the rule.
John
satu

Post by satu »

Agreed
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Steve, I appreciate your rant. Problem is that when we advertise, we reach out to the ladies and gentlemen and also the wackos. It is a fundamental problem with advertising - it is general, not targeted. Some folks think everything is a yard sale and we are nearing 4PM, others are serious thoughtful buyers. If one is a buyer you always want to discern the sellers reservation price (lowest he will sell), but this can be done through chit chat pretty much. As a buyer I always listen to what the seller has to say and ask questions about the item and motivation for selling. I have found that if you listen to the answers and the affect in the sellers voice you can learn a lot.

I recently bought a CD10 - I went to see it, the guy explained the boat and situation (not used much), and as I was leaving he said "of course I'll take something off the price" . The list was 1000, and I called him in a couple of hours and said I could come over that PM with a bank check for $850. The deal was done. There is signaling done in these deals and some of the signals are the "this is a person I don't want to do business with" - the kind of folks you have described, Steve."
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
okawbow

Post by okawbow »

I have sold a few boats in the last 5 years. I found that the boat sold quickly and easily if I did my home work and priced it at my best price "FIRM". 2 of my boats sold the first day of advertising, to the first caller. And they weren't priced below fair market value either.

I believe some people much prefer a firm price, so there can be no doubt about what they are buying.
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Selling on Craigs list can be a pain. I was trying to sell a car a few years ago. The price was set low but I said it was firm. I got email from some guy offering half what I was asking, I replied that I wasn't interested and the price was firm. The next day he offers a little bit more but gain I said no the price is still firm. The next day I sold the car for my asking price to someone else. I deleted the listing. I get another email from the first guy offering me the original 1/2 price again. I sent a note back saying it was sold. He sends me this nasty email calling me all kinds of curse words saying that we were negotiating and it wasn't right for me to sell it without contacting him first. The guy had never seen the car or even called on the phone!

There are some very strange people out there!
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com