Marine Head for CD25?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bluecrab

Marine Head for CD25?

Post by bluecrab »

Hello,

I have a 1974 Cape Dory 25 and would like to install a manual head. I tried a Jabsco compact head, but it did not fit. The width of the bowl + pump was just a bit too wide, so the base could not sit flat on the deck.

Does anyone else have a manual head installed in their CD25 they can recommend?

Thanks!
Loral
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Re: Marine Head for CD25?

Post by Terry »

Check out Stan Freihofer's S/V Pearl and her restoration at http://www.reefroof.com. Stan installed a fixed head in his CD25.

All the best.

Terry
Jdpmus

Post by Jdpmus »

I also have a CD25 from 1974. When I purchased the boat two years ago the previous owner had removed the head, holding tank, and connecting hoses. Looking through the available options for a replacement I came to the conclusion that having the marine head wasn't worth the trouble. (Here in Texas we are required to pay an extra fee if we have a holding tank/pump out on a boat).

The space is so limited that I decided to install the smallest portable toilet available, one made by Thetford. I tried the larger ones sold by West Marine but they were too wide to install in the space. As it was, I had to build a platform of 2x6 to mount the Thetford on. The Thetford works perfectly and has no odor, etc. and is easy to remove to empty at home in the toilet.

Space is a big problem in the head area of our little boat. I've never tried to use the toilet standing up as the front hatch is a bit off center for that :D . Usually I just make sure I've visited the facilities at the marina before leaving. The portable does, however, work well for the ladies (though a bit cramped) and I mainly purchased it for my grandchildren which are 6 years and under. It's perfect for them.
Andy Denmark

Post by Andy Denmark »

Years ago when fines were enacted for having overboard discharge from marine toilets I was inspected by the Coast Guard and given 30 days to comply with the law or face a $1500 fine. Like most of the boats in this area I had direct overboard discharge. The CG would inspect my boat on the 30th day (which they subsequently did). In the meantime I had cruising plans within a limited time frame so I installed a "temporary" portable toilet for around $100 total with plans to remove said toilet and put in a proper holding tank and W/C upon returning from the cruise. The Coasties said my portable toilet was legal and no fine was charged. I hated the concept of a portable toilet but it saved the cruise despite my reservations.

On that 2 week cruise I learned a lot about portable toilets. They are dead simple, they require no plumbing, valves or thru hulls (my thru hulls were capped off), they have NO ODOR, they take up very little room and, unlike their land counterparts, you can't see what's inside them unless you get on your knees with a flashlight to look. With modern chemicals (a cheap blue liquid that's available almost everywhere), and dissolving toilet paper, everything inside the tank quickly breaks down to a slightly thick, odorless, blue liquid that you simply pour into a toilet. A quick rinse with a squirt bottle of water after you pour this liquid into a landside toilet is all it takes to clean what little residue is left. All the units I've seen are designed to be simple, easy to clean, sanitary, and foolproof. The "tank" portion is easily carried and sealed up so there's no leakage unless you're an idiot.

I liked the portable toilet (Sani Potti by name < $100) so well that I never changed it out and use it to this day having gone on several long cruises and over many years of local cruising. My former boat (Bowman 36) had an elaborate toilet system with holding tank, Y-valves, macerator pump, Lectra San, and 40 feet of expensive (and smellY) white "sanitation grade" hose. Half the time I spent maintaining this boat was because of head issues!

Some time ago there was a rumor that the Florida water cops would not allow portable toilets. Mine has been inspected several times all over FL over the last 10 years and in the Bahamas with no suggestion that it was not in complicance.

Do yourself a favor and don't negate a porta potti system without trying it first. Could well be you'll find it a nice addition.

FWIW
This is my first "Quote" posting (from years ago) so don't I know how it will turn out. The message is pretty simple; save the time, expense and hassle of purchasing, installing and maintaining a head system and associated tankage and plumbing by using a portable toilet. I can't add to the above except to say that I'm getting ready to go cruising again and the head preps consist of cleaning off the outside of the Sani Potti with some Lysol-impregnated wipes that are individually dispensed from a handy container. I spent less than $10.00 on this and a jug of head chemical to add to the self contained porta-potty tank. FWIW, one jug of the head chemical is enough to last the entire winter cruise if I'm solo.

The newest Florida head regulations list portable toilets as the most environmentally friendly systems one can have aboard so I feel comfortable that compliance isn't a problem. Considering the anti-cruiser mind set of the FWC, though, I'll keep a laminated copy of the current regs available so they can be shown if the FWC decides they want to hassle me.
s/v Rhiannon

"In order to be old and wise, one first must have been young and stupid ...
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I had a manual head on my previous CD25. It pumped to the tank under the vee-berth. I'm pretty sure it was a Wilcox Crittenden and it fit fine. I really liked having the fixed head. I sailed with a family of five, so I appreciated having a little more volume in tankage than a porta pottie. There was no overboard discharge, so it should not be in violation of any regulations.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton