Fog Rant

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Maine Sail

Fog Rant

Post by Maine Sail »

I don't want to call out anyone specifically but a CD owner in PEA SOUP, with no running lights, NOT MONITORING VHF 16, no radar reflector and no fog signals can be a bad reflection.. :roll: I think we can do better.....

If this was someone who monitors this board, and was sailing yesterday off Falmouth, Maine in a Cape Dory PLEASE get yourself a radar reflector! Please monitor VHF 16 (at the very least in the fog) and please use your running lights in pea soup.

Your radar signature was HORRIBLE on your starboard tack, and about the same as a lobster pot. We only avoided you because I was aware enough to notice a spotty crappy blip that appeared to be moving. I tried to hail you on VHF 16 to let you know your radar visibility was very poor, and got no response...

Please guys lets at least TRY to be safe in the fog....

Rant over... :D
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Maine_Buzzard

Re: Fog Rant

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

Ketch or Cutter? Not me, but I have an idea. I'll discuss and advise if it's who I think it is.

BTW, we had a hearty discussion during the Monhegan Race, about the usefulness of a radar "deflector" Explains why the Chinese Air Force has been sneaking around the boat, trying to steal the technology...
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

no fog signals

Sometimes I feel we are the only boat that actually makes noise in the fog. You may not have
a big boat but you can sound like one! :D

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=na ... ent#rule35
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Main Sail:

I am innocent :!: I was in Florida all day yesterday. At least I think that is where I was. :? I have witnesses (I think :wink: ).

When I purchased S/V Bali Ha'i she came with a radar reflector - sort of a large circular metal structure with a lot of metal surface - perhaps 10" in diameter. I have not used it yet since we do not have a lot of fog in South Florida waters.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Not just monitoring 16, but making noise there, too. (And on 13 if you're in an area with commercial traffic.)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I was in Philly heat longing to be back in Maine. Honest This weekend though, I'll be back up (with my reflector) for the Maine Boats & Harbor show and the Shipyard Cup race in BBH.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

Maine_Buzzard wrote:Ketch or Cutter? Not me, but I have an idea. I'll discuss and advise if it's who I think it is.

BTW, we had a hearty discussion during the Monhegan Race, about the usefulness of a radar "deflector" Explains why the Chinese Air Force has been sneaking around the boat, trying to steal the technology...
Not important whom it is just important that these things get discussed.

Monitoring VHF 16 is the law but I am amazed at how many people just don't. I understand VHF 16 is obnoxious, what with all the illegal radio checks and "Steve, you out dare." stuff but it is still the law. When in fog I can't believe anyone would not monitor it...

Problem is I don't know your cell phone number by looking at your vessels name so if you are not monitoring VHF 16 then it is very tough to communicate.
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

>>Monitoring VHF 16 is the law but I am amazed at how many people just don't.<<

I thought only if the radio is turned on are you required to monitor 16.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Maine Sail wrote:
Problem is I don't know your cell phone number by looking at your vessels name so if you are not monitoring VHF 16 then it is very tough to communicate.
Maybe one of those winch mounted cannons would get their attention.

I have one of those tin horns you blow in, which are surprisingly loud and extremely reliable. I wrote the signals for sailing and motoring right on the thing with a sharpie marker so I can't forget the proper signal. We don't get fog often enough hear for me to trust my memory.

My new radio has fog signal capability but I haven't installed a horn as yet. If I do a Maine trip next year it is on the list, Steve.
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

Neil Gordon wrote:>>Monitoring VHF 16 is the law but I am amazed at how many people just don't.<<

I thought only if the radio is turned on are you required to monitor 16.
From the Coast Guard:

"In general, any vessel equipped with a VHF marine radiotelephone (whether voluntarily or required to) must maintain a watch on channel 16 (156.800 MHz) whenever the radiotelephone is not being used to communicate."

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtWatch

Also severe weather alerts and other important info is broadcast on 16. Yes there is a boatload of noise on 16 from all the constant radio checks and chit chat that should be done elsewhere. The noise is not nearly as bad here in Maine as it was on Buzzards Bay.

In many areas free automated radio checks are available from Sea Tow. They work great and actually allow you to hear a recording of your actual broadcast. You can check the link below to find out if one is available in your area. If you find one in your area you should encourage other boaters to use that rather than 16.

Info about automated radio tests:
http://www.seatow.com/boating-safety/au ... dio-checks

Map Of Locations:
http://www.seatow.com/map/arcs/
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

The automated radio checks have shifted lots of radio traffic in Boston from 16 and 9. While there's still a good bit of chatter on the radio, it's at least of some interest in that it relates to navigation hazards and restrictions, boats seeking assistance, harbor traffic and the like.

My practice is to monitor 16 and 9, plus 13 for commercial traffic and 10 because that's the marina's hailing channel. I also maintain a weather scan which has proved valuable more than once.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
crosswickscreek

Post by crosswickscreek »

Maine Sail wrote: ... a CD owner in PEA SOUP, with no running lights, NOT MONITORING VHF 16, no radar reflector and no fog signals can be a bad reflection ... Your radar signature was HORRIBLE ... We only avoided you because I was aware enough to notice a spotty crappy blip that appeared to be moving. I tried to hail you on VHF 16 to let you know your radar visibility was very poor, and got no response...
I'm a firm believer that safety is proactive. Were you sounding a fog horn as required by the regs?
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

crosswickscreek wrote:
Maine Sail wrote: ... a CD owner in PEA SOUP, with no running lights, NOT MONITORING VHF 16, no radar reflector and no fog signals can be a bad reflection ... Your radar signature was HORRIBLE ... We only avoided you because I was aware enough to notice a spotty crappy blip that appeared to be moving. I tried to hail you on VHF 16 to let you know your radar visibility was very poor, and got no response...
I'm a firm believer that safety is proactive. Were you sounding a fog horn as required by the regs?
Safety in the fog is a two way street and you do need to be proactive.. Yes we had been sounding our blasts and did securite calls when approaching busier areas. We were also monitoring VHF 16, 13 & 9, had running lights on, Davis Echomaster was hoisted in double catch rain position, were monitoring radar and had a compass course plotted..... Standard fog practice for us..
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

Bill Moore
Portland, ME

Post by Bill Moore »

I was feeling pretty smug after reading this since I do the 'right' things in fog, including running the Davis radar reflector up the mast. And then I started wondering "Do I know that people actually see me on their radar?" The instructions make a big deal about orienting the reflector in the catch rain position--and then I heel--and change the orientation. I assume the radar returns look good in the lab, but real life results can be very different. Does anyone have field experience that demonstrates what works best? And what products are adequate?

I looked on the internet for field studies and found:
http://www.maib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cf ... report.pdf
http://www.theradarreflectorsite.org/Ar ... iveRTE.pdf
http://www.safety-marine.co.uk/spages/h ... lector.htm

I don't have radar on my boat, but my experience is that they are very sensitive to proper usage. I would like to have a device that will be seen by the people that only use the radar twice each summer as well as by the experts.