spring cleaning

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

riveredge

spring cleaning

Post by riveredge »

Has anyone out there ever used vodka to sanitize their water system. Seems logical to me and better than other chemicals. Why not?
NateHanson

Re: spring cleaning

Post by NateHanson »

Yes, I have. I've used it to winterize the potable water system for many years. It's much better than trying to rinse out the "non-toxic" antifreeze. Leaves no odor. Stuff doesn't grow in it. Comes in a convenient plastic container with a handle!
Russell

Post by Russell »

Everclear (grain alcohol) would be even better if its available/legal in your state.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

We used vodka for the water system on our CD27 for 14 years. Worked a charm. We were always tempted to invite the yard employees to....uh...test it, but never actually did.

Sally Perreten
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

This all sound very interesting. I know Guinness wouldn't work, but how about some Jameson? :wink:
Seriously, what proportions are you talking about? :?:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Guinness? Hmmm. Good Thinking. I think that I'll get hold of Robert and see if it cleans him out. :-)

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

Our proportions? Straight up, no ice. We confess to using the cheapest vodka. An entire bottle. Empty the water tank, clean it as best we can (wishing for a foot pump in the galley), pour in vodka, rock boat (easier with a 27 than a larger one), pump through the lines until a little comes out at the galley pump, write notice to yard crew that the water system is winterized, so they won't put their stuff in there, go ashore - recognizing winter is coming, wait for spring, wait for launch date, pump out vodka, fill tank with water and if it's this year: wait for it to stop raining, please.

Now we have TY weekender and life is simple and easy. She doesn't drink.

Sally Perreten
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

tjr818 wrote:I know Guinness wouldn't work, but how about some Jameson? :wink:
Seriously, what proportions are you talking about? :?:
Tim:

Most respectfully, have you tried Guinness in your fresh water tank :?: If not, perhaps you ought not come to such alarmingly quick and ill-thought-out conclusions. :D :D :D

P.S. Electric bilge pump not working. Today will be spent trying to figure that out. As is well documented "electrics" and me to do not play well together. :(
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Post by Carter Brey »

The replies here seem to have more to do with winterizing; the poster's question was about sanitizing. Here is what the Headmistress, Peggy Hall, has to say on the subject:

http://trudelutt.com/linker/phall_freshwater.pdf

I use this system every Spring.

Cheers,
Carter
Sally Perreten

Post by Sally Perreten »

Very excellent advice there!

Sally
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

The way pharmaceutical companies sterilize their kettles and piping is first
chlorine bleach, then neutralized with hydrogen peroxide, followed by a distilled water rinse.

Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
riveredge

Post by riveredge »

Spring turned into summer and I ignored the job till today. I added 24 oz. of bleach to my 20 gallon tank of water. (rough metric conversion) I'll run it all out the sink tomorrow then cycle through a few tankfulls of plain water to get rid of the chlorine. The vodka I bought for the job in May is a distant blurry memory. Unlike our neighbors across the pond I prefer Guiness chilled.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Glad to hear you used the vodka and nothing could have survived your bleach assault.

Get that boat in the water, Steve.
riveredge

Post by riveredge »

The vodka used me. The boats in and I've sailed plenty. I've just been carrying water on as needed...
...when the vodka ran out. :D
BGS

Post by BGS »

This may be a really dumb question but how do you flush the freshwater out of your tank when you have manual pumps? Is disconnecting the hose just before the pump the best way?

I am clear on the process to sanitize but just don't understand how I can get the bleach solution out of my tank with out taking forever using only the foot pumps. I feel like I am missing something :?: . Thanks.