two equipment questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

SurryMark

two equipment questions

Post by SurryMark »

Loaned Tula to somebody, and they had a bit of an accident, ruining the anchor, bow pulpit, and a few other things.

1) Anybody know of a source for a new bow pulpit? I do have insurance, but a custom model comes in around $4,000.

2) Without re-igniting the anchor drama, are there any opinions on the Rocna anchor made by Canadian Metal? CM says it is made at their factory in China, to proper specs. My old 10kg anchor was one of the last New Zealand-made models, and I'm hesitant to get another one unless it's up to snuff. I have a 15lb Manson Supreme as a second anchor, but the Rocna never failed even in difficult ground, and the Manson design doesn't look as good to me.

thanks a lot
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: two equipment questions

Post by Neil Gordon »

Mark,

You might check with Leo on the bow pulpit issue.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Post by Duncan »

SurryMark wrote:...1) Anybody know of a source for a new bow pulpit? I do have insurance, but a custom model comes in around $4,000...
Sorry to hear about the damage.

$4,000 sounds like a very greedy price. A Catalina 27 bow pulpit, for instance, sells for $600 LINK here.

I don't know if the Catalina pulpit would fit or not, but these are very simple fabrications and they are all about the same. A sailing buddy up here got a "custom" bow pulpit a few years ago, so I will ask him where he found it.

I am on the lookout for a reasonably priced stern pulpit, so I would be interested in hearing how your search ends up.
Klem

Post by Klem »

Sorry, don't know the source of a bow pulpit. If you could find the old drawings for it, it would be pretty easy to send out for a few quotes.

Wading into the dangerous territory of the Rocna debate, it would appear that the current crop of them are still not made to the original specifications but they are made to much higher specifications than the ones that we saw bent pictures of. The total number of bent anchors reported was quite low which says to me that the weakest grade of steel was strong enough for most people. The current grade has a yield strength that is 50% greater so I suspect that the total number of bent anchors with it will be exceptionally low. With the exception of the spade, all of the new generation anchors have shanks that are not very strong in side bending from a veering situation. It will bend if you put it in the right situation (crashing into the dock, veering storm winds with a stuck anchor, etc) but my personal suspicion is that very few will have this problem. In my opinion, I would not be worried about it anymore. The trend is for larger and larger area and smaller shanks (look at the manson boss) so it will be interesting to see if anchor manufacturers go too far at some point.
NateHanson

Post by NateHanson »

Hey Mark,

That's a real bummer about the damage. I'm guessing someone doesn't get to borrow the boat anymore? :wink:

Presumably you've considered Esposito's Welding in Surry, across the street from the Wesmac yard? They've done good work for me (on smaller jobs).

Nate
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Post by Duncan »

I received a quote today for a CD 27 stern rail ("single, 4 leg pulpit with a sweeping bend") from http://www.whitewatermarineinc.com, for US $675 + shipping.
Type 304 heavy wall 1" SS tubing 24" rail height for maximum safety. Highly polished buffed mirror finish. Pulpit mounting bases; 3-hole round, 4-hole rectangular, or stud mount, welded or loose for adjustability. Type 316 available as well.
- I imagine that shipping is expensive, because of the size, but this could maybe be offset by cutting it in half and sleeving it for re-assembly.
- I think these guys have taken over the Tops-In-Quality business, because topsinquality.com redirects to their site.
- this, plus the Catalina Direct price I found (above), suggests to me that a new bow pulpit shouldn't end up costing more than $1,000.
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

Do you know how much more would it be for the 316 option?
I'd rather have 316, if it is only marginally more expensive.