Hydrovane Self Steering

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Frank Vernet

Hydrovane Self Steering

Post by Frank Vernet »

Does anyone have experience with this UK made windvane? It is different from the more "traditional" windvanes, e.g. Monitor, Aries, Cape Horn, etc, in that it is not connected in any way to the boat's steering/rudder system. Rather the windvane's own rudder makes the heading adjustments. Of course that means that the boat must be fairly well balanced and its rudder locked into place.

Thanks.
"A sailor's joys are as simple as a child's." - Bernard Moitessier
Russell

Re: Hydrovane Self Steering

Post by Russell »

The two downsides to auxiliary rudder type vanes such as the hydrovane, is a) cost and more importantly b) they dont work as well in light winds.

The upside of course as you already said, they are entirely independent of the boats steering, so in the case of rudder loss or steering cable parting, you have backup steerage.

The lighter wind issue is big enough for me to prefer servo pendulum style vanes.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

The Hydrovane web site is informative, http://www.hydrovane.com

Apparently, I was in desperate need of a late model Hydrovane, with a short shaft and the A bracket.
I became aware of this when one turned up for sale.

As it is also a true rudder, the design, material and attachment must be solid ( and therefore expensive + exchange rate + international shipping + taxes + ...).

I am currently mounting the brackets, so I can't comment on its performance.

marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

i just added a windpilot pacific to our CD 27. windpilot also makes an auxiliary rudder self steering system (wind pilot pacific plus). The windpilot documentation states that the transom loads for servo-pendulum designs is low and for auxiliary rudder systems is high. the servo-pendulum system works beautifully.
Mark Abramski
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

All forces on a rudder will be transferred through their mounting.
I thought the transom of a Cape Dory might be up to it :D

Since there are very few CDs with a hydrovane, the manufacturer will have to make their own case on this board.
They cover the topic of servo pendulum systems and more at:
http://www.hydrovane.com/self-steering/faq/
marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

the transom is pretty beefy. regardless, backing plates are easy to make & install.
Mark Abramski
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

Mark,
Absolutely. I placed the brackets close to the edge not only because the transom is small relative to the windvane, but it is stronger along the edge. I also added a couple layers of #1708 E-glass Biaxial Cloth with 3/4 oz mat backing on the inside. I plan on using 1/4" thick SS plates in a bed of epoxy as backing. Strength was also a consideration in my decision to fiberglass over the transom's deck joint.

Picture shows fiberglass reinforcement, the spot where the light is shining through was the old fitting for the engine's exhaust.
The bolts in the picture were just temporary for fitting the brackets.
Last edited by hilbert on Jul 20th, '12, 15:09, edited 2 times in total.
marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

Jonathan,

very nice job. nice and neat and it should hold up well.
Mark Abramski