Ty rigging, details

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Rnoonan
Location: 1974 Cape Dory Typhoon, Hull #794, Kittery Point, ME

Ty rigging, details

Post by Rnoonan »

Thanks again to those that set me straight on getting the mast up. At long last (due to work, not the rig) I now have a vertical mast and (mostly) horizontal boom. The main even goes up and down. Wish me luck with the head sail and roller furler tomorrow.

Anyhow, wondering about certain details such as:
1) With your main down and flaked on the boom, does your boom stay above the track opening or below? Raising it on the mooring it looked to clearly want to be above under sail. Sound right?

2) I'm lucky enough to have another Ty on the mooring next to me, but haven't met the owner yet. Notice he has a boomvang. I have hardware on the boom which looks right, but nothing similar on the mast. None of the required line or running tackle. Thinking PO sailed without. Thoughts on the relative importance on this boat?

3) How do you run your halyards and for those who also have roller furling, how do you run the line for that? PO had no hardware in place for the furler. Thinking at minimum I need a cleat on the outside of the cockpit combing. Have cabin top track, eyes, cleats, and jam cleats which I thought would work for the halyards but the lead from the mast is awkward. Pulling at an angle on the wheels at the mast exit.

4) Finally, for now at least, has anyone installed a manual or electric bilge pump? PO left me with a dinghy pump with hose long enough to only blow into the cockpit. Curious if there's a cost effective improvement.
ronkberg

Re: Ty rigging, details

Post by ronkberg »

[quote="Rnoonan"]Thanks again to those that set me straight on getting the mast up. At long last (due to work, not the rig) I now have a vertical mast and (mostly) horizontal boom. The main even goes up and down. Wish me luck with the head sail and roller furler tomorrow.

Anyhow, wondering about certain details such as:
1) With your main down and flaked on the boom, does your boom stay above the track opening or below? Raising it on the mooring it looked to clearly want to be above under sail. Sound right?

My boom stays below the track opening and the sail runs across the opening.

2) I'm lucky enough to have another Ty on the mooring next to me, but haven't met the owner yet. Notice he has a boomvang. I have hardware on the boom which looks right, but nothing similar on the mast. None of the required line or running tackle. Thinking PO sailed without. Thoughts on the relative importance on this boat?

The boomvang is used to flatten the mainsail but I do not have one. I thought about it for the sake of holding the boom out when running down wind but not going to buy one.

3) How do you run your halyards and for those who also have roller furling, how do you run the line for that? PO had no hardware in place for the furler. Thinking at minimum I need a cleat on the outside of the cockpit combing. Have cabin top track, eyes, cleats, and jam cleats which I thought would work for the halyards but the lead from the mast is awkward. Pulling at an angle on the wheels at the mast exit.

My CDI furling halyard is run up the furler and stays tied off at the base of the furler. As for the furling line, I have a small guide mounted on my pulpit base, small roller attached to my forward chain plate, another guide mounted to the rub rail and a jam cleat and small cleat mounted on the cockpit combing. The unused jib halyard and the mainsail halyard are tied off on cleats mounted to the bottom of the mast. The two cleats on the cabin top are used for jib sheets when using a smaller jib but not used on my boat. I suppose I could use them when I have the genoa furled to a small size but have not done that yet.

4) Finally, for now at least, has anyone installed a manual or electric bilge pump? PO left me with a dinghy pump with hose long enough to only blow into the cockpit. Curious if there's a cost effective improvement.[/quote]

I have the dinghy type pump also and have never had to use it.

Congrats on having a great little yacht. They are very competent sailers!

Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

I started using a boom vang last year and find it very helpful, especially running downwind. I have mine hooked to a sail slug and slide it up from the bottom of the mast slot to the halyard sheave plate. I take it off when not sailing so its not in the way. Sounds like you might have a setup like this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rnoonan
Location: 1974 Cape Dory Typhoon, Hull #794, Kittery Point, ME

Post by Rnoonan »

Ron, thanks so much for the detailed reply.

Markst95, thanks for the 'vang shot. I also notice you run your halyards from the mast on the same path I'm considering using. Are you tying off on the standard cabintop cleats? Any issues you've had with this setup?
Markst95

Post by Markst95 »

I replaced the original aluminum cleats with slightly bigger Stainless ones but same location. No Problems.
bamabratsche

Post by bamabratsche »

Does the sail slug ever fall out the bottom of the mast slot, or is there something keeping it there? This seems like a much simpler solution than drilling more holes in the mast for a bail (plus trying to find a bail that's the right size, which has been surprisingly tricky...).
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Post by RIKanaka »

bamabratsche wrote:Does the sail slug ever fall out the bottom of the mast slot, or is there something keeping it there? This seems like a much simpler solution than drilling more holes in the mast for a bail (plus trying to find a bail that's the right size, which has been surprisingly tricky...).
You can also use an appropriately-sized padeye and with matching backing plate in the sailtrack, secured with screws and nylock nuts. Or even an eyestrap with fender washers in the track. The sail slug is a good solution though for a quick disconnect, at least on the mast side of the vang.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
ronkberg

Post by ronkberg »

Markst95, how do you connect the boom vang when running? I assume it is used to hold the mainsail out when running but confused as to how it's connected. Do you disconnect from the base of the mast and connect to somewhere like the chain plate? Did you add a bail on the boom for attaching?

Nice solution with the sail slug and you've got me curious about the sailing improvement. I just might try it.

Ron

[quote="Markst95"]I started using a boom vang last year and find it very helpful, especially running downwind. I have mine hooked to a sail slug and slide it up from the bottom of the mast slot to the halyard sheave plate. I take it off when not sailing so its not in the way. Sounds like you might have a setup like this.[/quote]
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Markst95

Post by Markst95 »

I don't use it as a jibe preventer (although you could), just as a vang to keep the boom from rising and bouncing around in seas. No it hasn't ever fallen out of the slot.