CD model comparison

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

rtwhitman2

CD model comparison

Post by rtwhitman2 »

After time away from a CD 33, which I adored, I've been considering a return to sailing, albeit experimental to start. I've wandered the landscape from Typhoons, Typhoon Seniors, and CD 22's -- preferably a 22D. My reasoning for the latter is I hope it to be big enough for a single to cruise for a week or more but still trailer-able. (For esthetics, on-board storage and safety reasons I'm also hoping to avoid a gas outboard).

I notice a large number of CD 25s for sale including a few 25Ds. To my eye they look boxy compared to other model Cape Dorys, but maybe that's just my imagination. What is it about 25s that makes their turnover rate high and resale relatively low? How do they compare with other CD models under sail. And finally, is my thinking regarding a 22 rational?
azucha

Re: CD model comparison

Post by azucha »

see http://bluewaterboats.org/cape-dory-25/

different designers, but I'll let the experts go into that.
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

They also made a bunch more 25's (846) than 25D's (189):

http://www.capedory.org/cdmfd.html

I like both but I personally don't think of either one as a true trailer sailer at 4000+ lbs and significant masts to step.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Good luck. You have to consider towing load and config, and then figure if your boat can be launched in the places you want to go which for sure will require a Travel Lift or similar. As in all matters related to our boats the key discussion is about TRADEOFFS. If you find the perfect trade off please let me know.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Carl Thunberg

Turnover of CD25s

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I think Rich is pretty close to dead-on. There is a relatively abundant supply of CD25s out there. Basic supply and demand tells you that they won't command as high a price as a boat in lower supply. I've never considered the CD25 to look boxy. This may put me at odds with many friends on this Board, but I agree the 25D looks a bit boxy, but how many boats of that size have standing headroom? They had to raise the coach roof to get the standing headroom.

There is one more reason the CD25 has a higher turnover rate than some of the other CD models. The CD25 gives sailors an entry into the bigger boat market. It's large enough that you can do some coastal cruising. I've known many CD25 owners (including myself) who sail it for a few years until the lack of standing head-room becomes the limiting factor and they trade up. This is a very typical pattern and there are many owners of larger CDs on this Board who are former CD25 owners. I think just about every one of them would say they miss their CD25. They are a blast to sail.

None of this answers any of your questions about the 22 or the 22D. I'm no expert on either of these boats.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Turnover of CD25s

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Carl Thunberg wrote: This may put me at odds with many friends on this Board, but I agree the 25D looks a bit boxy....
Blasphemy, blasphemy I say :!: :!: :!:

I can assure you "Mr. Thunberg" that members of the "Cape Dory 25D club" will shortly be meeting with their battery of attorneys to draft a petition to have you sanctioned by the high council of the CDSOA for such a statement. :D :D :D

There is little doubt among those who truly know and "appreciate" the fine lines of sailboats that the CD 25Ds is very likely the finest naval architectural design of Mr. Alberg's long and illustrious career. I say this as a completely unbiased and objective observer of the facts. :wink:

On a more serious note, I spent a lot of time and energy looking at Ty Weekenders, CD 22s, CD 25Ds and CD 27s. Rich is spot on about the availability of CD 25s versus CD 25Ds.

There were only 179 CD 22s built, even less than the number of CD 25Ds. Of the 179, very very few were built with a Yanmar diesel. Almost all have the O/B bracket, etc. which you do not want.

Both the Ty Senior and the CD 22 are essentially the same hull (different cabin layout) and, at least to my thinking, are suitable for one person for a few days to a week, depending on age, size, comfort concerns, etc. Both the Ty Senior and CD 22 cabin do NOT have standing head room.

I spent a few hours in the "cabin" of my Ty Weekender and quickly decided that it would not be suitable for me for a weekend let alone a week or more. My CD 25D (the Cape Dory design with the most beautiful and sleek lines of ALL the Cape Dory sailboats :D ) is comfortable for me for a week or more. My only problem is, given my rookie status and lack of sailing skills, it is more sailboat and sail canvas than I am comfortable with. Given your prior experience with a CD 33 I would think a CD 22 or a CD 25D would be a good choice albeit both designs have limited availability.

P.S. 22-25 kts winds today (thanks to TS Debby). Same expected for Tues. No sailing, no diving. Thanks be to the Gods that Guinness remains available. :)
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil