The right tender

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

NateHanson

The right tender

Post by NateHanson »

We're keeping our boat in a new location this year, and while that means we can walk to the beach after dinner for a quick sail, it also means no dock available for loading passengers, and we have to row out to the mooring against some current at times.

Our cheap, old Walker Bay 8 is a pretty poor performer for this situation. It rows like a cardboard box, and is fully loaded with 2 adults and one small kid (leaving another kid and a dog for the second trip!)

I'd like to find or build a dinghy that rows well, tows with minimal resistance (behind our 22), and carries 2 adults and 2 kids (6 and 9, but growing).

A simple sailing rig would be a bonus, but not required.

Can anyone make a recommendation? Used boat, Kit- or plan-building are all options. (Buying a $5000 Dyer or similar is definitely not an option!)

Thanks, Nate
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Re: The right tender

Post by jbenagh »

I have a Shellback that I built. At nearly twelve feet she look a little large behind my 25 but towed great. I've thought about the similar Nutshell to be able to bring onboard our larger boat.
the Shelback does very well with two adults and two children for rowing.
Jeff
cguthrie

Post by cguthrie »

Although expensive, I found that adding the inflatable RID kit to my Walker Bay 8 helped immensely with issues of load and stability. It rows fine this way as well. I added a used yamaha 2.5 to the boat a few years ago to get across the large and choppy Belfast bay to our mooring site. Before the RID unit I was often in danger of swamping during the long row.

The other thing I did to my Walker Bay that helped was to paint the bottom of it every year before we start the season with gray inflatable bottom paint. I couldn't believe how many critters found the bottom of my dink a good place to set up their homes.

All that being said, I still yearn for a more traditional tender purely for aesthetic reasons.

Good luck finding the right solution,
Cliff Guthrie
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

CD 10 or perhaps CD 14.
Steve Laume - now at sea, uses a CD 10 - when he returns I am sure he will have a comment. based on Steve's inspiration and a local seller offering a 10 at a reasonable price I bought one - just need to commission her, the Julia K.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Bruce Dart
Location: Former owner of CD25 Wings O' Morning. Looking for a CD30

Post by Bruce Dart »

Danny Greene's Chameleon stitch-built plywood nesting dinghy might be a possibility. Here's a link:

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/d ... /index.cfm
Fair Winds.

Bruce Dart
azucha

length vs tonnage

Post by azucha »

I've been investigating the nesting dinghy option for a while. My issue is that the 7-8' nesting dinghy option often carries a 300 lb. carrying capacity. I occupy 2/3s of the carrying capacity so that limits inviting others onboard. The 11' options seems to have capacity in the 600 lb. range. Port Townsend Watercraft's PTN11 http://ptwatercraft.com/ptwatercraft/PT11.html is a sweet design to my eye, but the base kit cost around $1900.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I am currently refitting my Dave Gerr "Nester" dinghy custom built in cedarstrip construction by my brother and CD36 owner/board member John Danicic. (Check his page out) I liked it so much he built himself one. I will try to get some photos of the refit posted if there's any interest - New gunwhales, varnish and new line or hose around the outwhales. It is 11' LOA and about 5' nested on deck. Tows well, rows very well especially when lightly loaded and takes a light motor fine. We have put far too much weight in it for me to admit publicly. A family of four and gear for a week. I can launch and assemble in the water in under ten minutes alone. We have not fitted a sailing rig to it but I bet with some tinkering a spritsail or lateen rig should work.

The Gerr design is in his book Nature of Boats but it is for stich and glue plywood construction so would be heavier than if built in cedarstrip.

Here she is nested and stowed on the coachroof. The black bottom coating is an epoxy graphite mix which I have used on it for years as well as on cedarstrip canoes for a teen wilderness camp application - very durable and UV resistant.

Paul
CDSOA Member
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Nate.you might consider a Puffin.They make two sizes 8and 10. I used to own the 8 and it rowed and also towed nice. Puffins are built in Mid coast Maine I believe around Belfast.
Ken Cave
Anacortes, WA

Re:Mirror Dinghy

Post by Ken Cave »

You just might be a be able to find (or build) a Mirror that just might work if you desire a row as well as a sailing dinghy. They are 10ft. 10in. in size, carries a main and a jib (and if you are into racing,
also a spinnaker. They have been around for years, and was designed by Jack Holt out of England
as a car top dinghy. It is also the first sew together build and over 70,000 of us have built them.

Try the Mirror Dinghy site for a second hand one. as they usually have some available.

Hope this helps

Ken Cave
Cape Dory CD 28
Mirror Dinghy # 24304
Rnoonan
Location: 1974 Cape Dory Typhoon, Hull #794, Kittery Point, ME

Post by Rnoonan »

Check out Dynamite Payson's Instant Boats. Primarily steps for building Phil Bolger designs, a world renowned designer.

http://www.instantboats.com/boats.html

I can't recommend a specific model, but can attest to the simplicity and accessibility of the methods. Although stripers are said to be fairly easy to assemble too, they are also said to be very time consuming compared to plywood methods. Of course, no comparison to the unique beauty of a varnished striper.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Interesting and timely thread.

I have been thinking about acquiring a “dink” for some time now. While I would like to use a CD 10 for this, being old, fat and out of shape these days it is probably not practical for climbing up onto S/V Bali Ha’i or climbing down into the CD 10 from S/V Bali Ha’i. Inflatable pontoons are needed for stability.

I have also been researching the offerings from Walker Bay. I like the rigid hull with the inflatable pontoons on each side as mentioned by Cliff G. above. However, this set up is VERY expensive - at least that is my recollection from the Feb 2012 boat show.

I am familiar with and comfortable with the typical Zodiac, WM, Achilles inflatables with a hard floor. They are easy to get in and out of, good load capacities, etc. From what I am told, however, they do not ride well tied off to the stern of a sailboat and as I know from personal experience, not that easy to row.

A "nesting" dinghy (admittedly practical) is not practical on a CD 25D.

I guess all things are a compromise. I will probably end up buying a used Walker Bay or a moderately priced Zodiac or similar generic.

Anybody got one for sale :?: :)
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Robert,

Here was my solution, I have folks who NEED an inflatable tender for pure safety reasons - on boarding a dingy - they tip it.

Inflatables last a looooong time and are easily repairable, so a semi cast off inflatable is an ok bet. The key is the motor. I got a free cast off inflatable from a friend, but I bought a new outboard. Since they don't row well you need an ultra reliable ob. So i bought a new 2.5 hp Suzuki which has rendered good service for 5 year. I got one with an internal 1 liter tank. (Actually I keep a 1 gallon tank of gasoline for topping off in the inflatable at all times) The power is adequate and the motor is light enough to lift into the boat and drop into the inflatable by myself - once I got the hang of it. There is a reason to get a used 2.5 2 cycle engine and that reason is that they are about 10 pounds lighter. The Suzuki is 37# and a 2 cycle is about 27#. Needless to say 2 cycles are not available new anymore.

The system works quite well. I do take the precaution of tying a line onto the ob when installing or uninstalling - just so I can retrieve it from the bottom when I drop it. btw I never tow the inflatable with ob attached. I don't care about losing the dingy, but do care about losing my $800 Suzuki.

Now all this is un nautical and I like to row, so as mentioned elsewhere on the board I did buy a CD 10 and will use that sometimes, but the main tender is the inflatable. It is safe and reliable and my passengers (family and non-family are comfortable, as I am - except for aesthetics)
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Duncan Maio

Post by Duncan Maio »

I just built a Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker dinghy from plans - fun project, nice sailing rig, and carries two adults and two kids, plus gear, quite easily. Rows nice; haven't tried it with an outboard yet.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Duncan Maio wrote:I just built a Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker dinghy from plans - fun project, nice sailing rig, and carries two adults and two kids, plus gear, quite easily. Rows nice; haven't tried it with an outboard yet.
I have looked at that boat too. I was afraid it might be too big for a 27 so I was thinking of their Eastport nesting pram. How does the Passagemaker work with your 27?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Jim Cornwell

Post by Jim Cornwell »

Another vote for the Puffin, built by Frankfort Boat Works. I've got the 8'-6" version which rows and tows like a dream. Takes a 2 hp outboard, though I prefer the simplicity of a pair of handsome spruce oars, a fraction hp each. Very simple and easy to maintain. Classic no-nonsense looks with lines that echo the mother ship. I just added "Gunnel Guards" this spring. There are also 7'-6" and 10'-6" models. Mostly distributed in New England, I think. Jim.