Leaking seacock at through hull fitting on Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

altontom

Leaking seacock at through hull fitting on Typhoon

Post by altontom »

Just launched Typhoon Weekender which I have owned for 5 years. While putting everything together at mooring I noticed a slow seaping leak at the base of one of the seacocks where the through hull fitting is attached with a tightning nut. The threads are rusty. In retrospect there was 2-4 quarts of water in bilge when I removed the boat last fall. I assumed it was rain leakage over last season but maybe not. Anyway, the leak is very slow and I really hate to remove boat to fix it properly. I am also hesitant to try and tighten the nut on the thru hull fitting for fear of creating a disaster. The rest of the seacock valve etc is fine and not leaking at all. So, suggestions???
starboard

Re: Leaking seacock at through hull fitting on Typhoon

Post by starboard »

wow, "i fear i may be in the same boat"(sorry couldnt resist) i plan on launching our weekender this weekend... it has not been wet for over 19 years.... your leak may stop after a day or two, keep an eye on it... Good Luck...
Gather ye Rosebuds while ye may, ole time is a flying... the same flower that smiles to day, to morrow will be dying...