Typhoon outboard questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

mjohn

Typhoon outboard questions

Post by mjohn »

Have read numerous posts/opinions about the suitability of everything from 2hp to 6hp outboards for use with Typhoons. In addition to a long shaft and being relatively light weight, is there a preference among Typhoon owners about the "ideal" outboard, particularly to just maneuver in/out of a marina and "getting back" in a dead calm. Seems like I always end up using whatever motor came with the boat.

I currently have a heavy, short shafted, 2 cycle 5hp Tohatsu outboard and thinking about replacing it with a 2hp Honda, 4 cycle, long shafted version. Seems like a good idea to me. Just wondering if anyone with a lot of experience might have another opinion/perspective.

Also, am curious if there's a consensus about steering with the rudder vs using the throttle handle of the outboard itself.

mjohn
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: Typhoon outboard questions

Post by Oswego John »

mjohn

On a long haul, I would use the rudder mostly. In close quarters, I steer my Ty with the motor's throttle handle. The throttle handle gives me quicker and sharper response than using the tiller. My hand is in position for an emergency maneuver, slowing or stopping and shifting into reverse.

On a boat with a motor well, I'd probably use the boat's tiller and rudder.

I use a long shaft 5HP Merc only because sometimes I fight river current. Under normal harbour conditions, 1/3 throttle is plenty of power. So I suppose 2 or 3 HP would suit your purposes.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
mjohn

Post by mjohn »

Thanks OJ,

Didn't realize using the throttle handle would provide quicker response. Makes sense. Guess I need more of that. Sense, that is.

mjohn
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

Post by Gary M »

MJohn,

When I owned a Ty it came with a three HP Seagull engine that worked well.

I finally moved up to a four HP Johnston Sailmaster which I loved.

If I were you I would consider a four HP because I feel it would be better for longer trips, but for the use you describe, I think you would be fine with the two HP.

I've seen people in my marina get by fine with a two HP on larger boats.

Another thing to consider is whether you have an on board fuel tank or a remote fuel tank. Since the Ty does ot have a good place to put a fuel tank, an on board tank might be a good pick.

By on board tank I mean one that is on the engine.

Ditto OJ about tiller steering

Gary
Shelby
Location: CD Typhoon/open daysailer...."Liberty".......OKC,OK

Post by Shelby »

I too only use the outboard for lack of wind....but have recently not bothered to mount it at all....the slip I have now....sailing in and out is very doable.........when I do use a motor....I have the Honda 2hp..long shaft....could not be more pleased......and concur with OJ about sterring with the motor for better manuvering......with the tiller for longer runs...
agogates

Post by agogates »

I use the 2hp Honda 4 stroke long shaft on my TY. Plenty of power, lightweight, with an internal gas tank. The only negative is that is direct power, no neutral, or reverse. You turn it on and the propeller spins. The engine turns around 180 for reverse. The newer models have a clutch that only engages the propeller above idle. I am keeping my eye out for a 4hp 4 stroke with neutral and reverse. Either size or in between size is fine. I would just check your need for neutral and reverse.

I use the motor handle in reverse and rudder going forward.
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Post by RIKanaka »

Be careful about going in reverse with a lighter outboard on a Typhoon. If you rev the motor while in reverse, the lower end tends to pivot up out of the water.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

3 1/2 Tohatsu

Post by Jim Davis »

We use a Tohatsu 3 1/3 long shaft on our Ty DS. It has been more than satisfactory and the lack of a reverse hasn't been a problem. Since at very low speed the maneuvering is better if you steer with the engine turning the engine around is fine.

Nissan and Tohatsu are the same engine and they also make the basic engine sold by Merc.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
hoehnt

Post by hoehnt »

I have a 2hp Honda and it works great. It has the clutch so you can stay in one place while it warms up. plenty of power nd I love having the gas tank on the engine itself.

I even take it off and stick it down below when Im sailing.
Rnoonan
Location: 1974 Cape Dory Typhoon, Hull #794, Kittery Point, ME

Post by Rnoonan »

To those getting by with 2hp, what sort of current do you have need to work against? My recently purchased Ty came with an electric Torqeedo rated as equivalent to 2-3hp gas. It's an amazingly light unit and I'll definitely experiment with it, but suspect it will have trouble in my snarly local currents where river meets ocean. Is 2hp mainly suitable for motoring home on flat bay/lake waters or have you been able to push through a little chop and opposing current?

-Rich
hoehnt

Post by hoehnt »

I have not had any problem getting around aside from one day motoring into about 25 knot winds and 2-3 foot chop.
Hutch_north

Post by Hutch_north »

My Ty came with a 4hp long shaft Mariner. I brought the boat home two days after Hurricane Irene last August, into a stiff headwind with its accompanying swell, and the motor just chugged along about half throttle. So 4hp is definitely adequate for some of the rougher stuff!