San Francisco and the sea

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

hmeyrick
Location: CD 30, Hull 156, "Old alt". Previously "Old Salt", but the "S" fell o

San Francisco and the sea

Post by hmeyrick »

My brother is- was- a longtime resident of San Francisco. He had always said that someday, when the time came, he'd like to have his ashes scattered out over the Pacific or over the Bay that he loved. Tragically the time has come.

I know that there are probably commercial charter operations that do this sort of thing, but I don't think that's what he would have wanted. He was never one to stand for nonsense like that. And myself, I'd prefer to do this from a sailboat. Preferably a Cape Dory. Preferably my own Cape Dory, but I sail in Lake Erie, and anyway I'm not even in the water yet. And I don't think I could handle the boat anyway. I can't even type this without breaking down.

So if anyone knows of anything that might be able to help please pm me.

This is the last thing I'll ever be able to do for my brother; I'd like to be able to do it right.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: San Francisco and the sea

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I live in Miami and unfortunately cannot offer assistance. I am very sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jim Cornwell

Post by Jim Cornwell »

I think the Coast Guard can help you with this. A number of years ago I organized the scattering of ashes off of Cape Cod, which the family ended up doing privately from a small boat. But initially I contacted the CG here in Philadelphia for guidance. They were helpful. Jim.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I am very sorry for the passing of your brother. I have an older brother and we are very close. I shutter at the thought.

You might try contacting the California chapter of the Cape Dory Association. You could also contact the San Francisco Yacht Club. I am sure someone there would be honored to assist you. I suspect they have a couple of CD owners as well. Here is their link: http://www.sfyc.org/ The tab on the left of their home page has a list of the officers.

Another option might be to post on the Sailing Anarchy website that seems to have a lot of following in the Bay Area. They can be a recalcitrant lot but they are devoted to sailing and I would be very surprised if some of the sailors in the Bay area do not contact you to offer assistance.

Take care.
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Post by bhartley »

Please check your PMs. I sent you a contact.
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

I can offer no help other than my heart felt sympathies
Randy 25D Seraph #161
hmeyrick
Location: CD 30, Hull 156, "Old alt". Previously "Old Salt", but the "S" fell o

Post by hmeyrick »

Thanks to everyone who wrote with kind words, or who sent pms with suggestions for help. We truly appreciate it.

Thursday was a gloriously beautiful spring day in San Francisco. We chartered the sailboat Ruby. The captain had the tact to go below and leave us to our selves, and we drifted, and we drifted, and Ruby left behind a trail of rose petals and tears.