Floating hams--info needed

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

M. R. Bober

Floating hams--info needed

Post by M. R. Bober »

I just got my FCC General license. I am curious about the type(s) of equipment that others use for on-board communications. Your thoughts & suggestions are appreciated.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Home of the Typhoon Nationals) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
barfwinkle

Re: Floating hams--info needed

Post by barfwinkle »

Good afternoon General Mitchell

While I don't have a radio on board, when and if I do I will use some version of the ICOM 706 with a matching tuner and remote installation. All that will be in the navigation "area" will be the remote head. I'll also have it opened up so that I can use it on SSB if needed (emergency)!

I have opened several 2 meter radios and an Icom 735 (boat anchor), but I will have to have someone else do the 706 because its a bit tricky.

Fair Winds
K5NCO
Bill Member #250.
Dean Abramson

Post by Dean Abramson »

Hi Mitch,

I know absolutely zero about ham radio.

But your post caught my eye, so I sent a link to my friend Jay who is an avid ham user from his (Brand X) sailboat. Here's what he wrote me:

On my PEA365 I very successfully used an ICOM 735 and AH=1 tuner for nearly 20 years. A few years ago I replaced it with an ICOM 706 with the matching IDG autotuner, which has also been great. The 706 is much smaller with controls that can be mounted remotely (good in small NAV station). It has both HF and 2m VHF capabilities and has worked very well with an insulated backstay antenna. The ICOM 706 has been superseded by the ICOM 7000, which is essentially the same size and has DSP filtering and some other nice features (I don't have one yet).

The 735 is big, heavy, and now ancient history. I wouldn't recommend getting a used one unless your budget is extremely limited (<$150) and it is in excellent condition. The IC-706MKiig is discontinued and I think it would be very difficult to find a new unused one. However a used one in good condition might be a good choice. The IC-7000 current model should be available at almost any Ham radio outlet.

There are some other radios such as the YAESU - FT-857D (same company as Standard-Horizon in marine radios) which one might consider, but I have no experience with them.
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi all,

I have successfully used an ICOM 718 on both SunShine and FeNIX. On FeNIX I got a used radio and tuner on e-Bay. Both worked flawlessly and for about $600 a good deal. For SunShine I got another used 718 but couldn't find a used tuner so got a new one online somewhere. Pays to shop around. The two items cost less than $800. AL Lien had the same setup on Catalyst and we talked many times as he was heading to SoCal and I to Samoa. I was once able to talk to him using only 10 watts of broadcast power.
Propagation due to atmospheric conditions is your main friend or enemy. Most boats cannot afford the power usage of big amplifiers and they are rarely needed. I normally used 40~60 watts when transmitting.
The current system works fine and you can see the results of my reports on ShipTrak.org. KI4MMB.
Handy to have and you need not spend a fortune for the radios. Lots of people like the ICOM 706 but the 718 seems to be a better radio. Most ham radios can be illegally "opened up" so they will transmit on SSB freqs as well. Real handy for SSB nets when out cruising.

Going offshore? I recommend a ham.

Take care,
Fred
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
Russell

Post by Russell »

I went the opposite route, I have an ICOM 802 SSB that I opened up to use on the HAM frequencies. But this is likely the more expensive route.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
boogie

Post by boogie »

Hi Mitch
First, I have to congratulate you on your achievement.
My suggestion to you is to learn some more and get the Extra license. I did it, so can you.
I have a whole system With Icom 802, Pactor Modem and my computer all connected together in order to be able to send and receive Email containing Weather Data and other info via Airmail 2000. It is free to use for Ham’s and it is good for offshore sailing. Only problem, I am not there.
The Icom 802 works with a pre programed frequencies and therefore easier to operate on the radio nets. It is different way of working the bands. On ham radio you scan the frequencis to find a contact, with the pre program channel you go to a Chunnel that is active at pre scheduled time or active by hams with the same interest as you.
I hope I explained it clear.
Jacob KB2C
SV "Malaika" PSC 37
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

I have the ICOM M710 on my sailboat and the ICOM 735 on my trawler. Both can work on Ham or marine. I like the 735 more then the newer M710 because it gets to be a pain in the ass moving to different frequencies one the M710. They have to be programmed in. I would highly recommend to everyone going cruising to get their ham license so that they can talk to the guys on 14300. This is where you can find the maritime net and since these folks are spread out all over North America the chance are you will be able to talk to someone. For my wife and I this means that when I am in Florida on my sailboat or doing a delivery we can at least have messages relayed if we cant talk directly. HF radios are wonderful tools to have on the boat and if you find yourself doing long blue water trips it is nice to talk to civilization. Oh and the M801 is better then the M710 but a hole lot more expensive then the cost of a used ham.
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
johnny of STORK
Taos, NM
San Carlos, Sonora, MX

Post by johnny of STORK »

I had an Icom 720, MFJ manual tuner, and Hamstick on the rail on my previous boat, and it worked very well. I grounded the Hamstick by tossing a piece of stainless cable overboard, and clamping it to the antenna mount with a small visegrip. I switched over to Icom 706 ("neutered" for SSB) with Icom autotuner, insulated backstay, and (very important) copper tape grounding grid for my CD-30, and have been *very* happy with the size, convenience, and performance. I never fail to get "excellent signal" reports.

Johnny
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Re: SSB equipment & information source

Post by Evergreen »

Hello:

Sharon & I also just got our general licenses. This winter we have had an 802 and Pactor III USB modem installed on Evergreen --- haven't even seen it yet. Now we have to learn to use our new toys.

We would like to suggest Dockside Radio (on the net) as a good source of information and equipment. Customer support is excellent! (PS: we do not know the fellow personally nor do we have any financial interest in his business ---- just have been very happy with his site and services).
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)