The Value Of Our Board

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

The Value Of Our Board

Post by Oswego John »

To all,

I received a pleasant email this afternoon. Awhile back, one of our readers posted a request asking if anyone could furnish any leads or info on his purchasing a bow rail (pulpit) for his Ty Weekender.

Via this board, I mentioned a company that used to sell them but might be out of business now. It was possible that they might have reorganized and now have a new name. I mentioned a few points of contact. And then, a nautical round robin came into being.

A second reader wrote in stating that he had a bow rail not being used that is laying in his garage. I contacted him and obtained his email address. I then contacted the buyer and gave him some details in regard to getting in contact with the seller. I might add that there was some extra mileage involved between the buyer and the seller.

The bottom line is that the buyer is happy in his purchase. The seller can now move around in his garage as well as have a few extra coins jingling in his jeans pocket. I am glad that we had the CD Board to use in order to consumate the purchase.

All is right in the world tonight. :>)

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: The Value Of Our Board

Post by tjr818 »

:D For that and for so many other things like that we are grateful that we have this board. Thanks to all.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
TerBare

Post by TerBare »

I too can attest to the value of the board. Not too long ago, I purchased a Typhoon that was "almost" done with an overhaul. I went to put in the backstay pad eye and had no idea if it was held in place by screws or bolts. After a little searching on the board, I found out that it is 1/4-20 bolts that are used, and I can now move forward compleating the overhaul. Thanks to all that give advice and support the board.
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

It's the best $3.50 a month I spend!

Post by bhartley »

Not to sound like a Public Radio pledge drive, but the $40 I spend a year for my CDSOA Membership comes back to me many times over every year in both valuable information to say nothing of the parts and pieces I have sold, been given, given away and bought over the years. I know you don't have to be a member to use the forum, but I do get my hackles up when I get the occasional email asking why they should bother renewing or joining.

The most important benefit every CD owner gets from the strength of the CDSOA (and the forum your dues pay for) is the retention/enhancement of the value of their Cape Dory. Yes, the company is long since gone, but this group carries on in such a way that it doesn't matter. Sources for parts (and substitutes for those no longer available) are just a click away along with every imaginable kind of minutiae on these wonderful boats (prop locking discussions excluded...).

I feel that I get 100% of my investment back annually -- and I do not live anywhere near an organized fleet to participate in their events. When I get ready to sell my CD (and I do have a 25D ready to sell so stand by...), I know that the Cape Dory Buy/Sell section is where she'll be listed. When you take into account the money saved on advertising and brokerage fees, it is a great deal.

Stepping down off my soap box,

Bly Hartley
(who also just so happens to be the Membership Chair :oops: )
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

@ Bly - Well Done!

This Board does more to bolster the value of our beloved boats than anything going (aside from a well found boat).

Fair Winds

Bill Slater
Commodore CDSOA, Inc
Bill Member #250.
sfreihofer

Post by sfreihofer »

In the reconstruction, refurbishment, and restoration of my 1981 CD 25 #794 "Pearl", I relied heavily on the advice, experience, and suggestions of members here. This site offers a tremendous amount of "value-added" opportunity and information. I have no doubt that the success I've had in rebuilding my boat is, in a large part, directly attributable to this board.

I have also found it to be enormously satisfying to be able, on a few occasions, to offer suggestions and information which hopefully has been helpful to others here. What goes around, comes around, and in this forum, it is personally rewarding to help keep it going.

The people who have offered me assistance are too numerous to mention, so in case you wonder if I'm talking about you, well, yes I am. Thank you.

Stan Freihofer
1981 CD 25 #794, "Pearl"
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
www.ReefRoof.com (Restoration details)
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Man, I love this board. I can have it open at work without fear of anything compromising showing up, provides serious repreive from the stuff I have to work on, provides amazing information, and provides a lot of fodder for fantasizing about how my boat might/could look.

I don't contribute nearly as much as I receive!
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Stan F. has not posted on this board in a while. I'm not sure if he is still the caretaker of S/V Pearl. I hope so.

In June/July 2014 issue of BoatUS Stan's Cape Dory 25 (S/V Pearl) is featured in a renovation of old boats article "Renovation Nation". It shows a photo of S/V Pearl before Stan went to work on her and a photo after Stan's efforts. Very impressive.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Post by drysuit2 »

Oswego John wrote:To all,
... I am glad that we had the CD Board to use in order to consummate the purchase.

All is right in the world tonight. :>)

O J
I agree. Time spent on this board is well worth it. Wish I spent more...but life gets in the way.
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

Not to mention the new friends found on this board. I have discovered I am surrounded by Cape Dory owners, here in midcoast Maine, and, am glad to say, have shared a couple of glasses of a nice Bordeaux with a few. Look forward to more ( new friends, and glasses of wine!). Thanks, CDSOA.

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Ditto to everything said in response to John's post. This is the most civil, intelligent, informative and generous group I have ever experienced on the web.
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
mike ritenour

Whereabouts of Oswego John a.k.a. OJ

Post by mike ritenour »

Has anyone been in contact with OJ recently?
We pulled into Oswego Harbour a few weeks back and could not raise him on the horn, an unusual occurence as he and Mike always visit when we are in port.
Any info would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Rit
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Rit
OJ's profile shows he logged in on the 30th.
Maybe the Schooner is talking up most of his time!
mike ritenour

Post by mike ritenour »

Wish it were so.