Cape Dory 25 Outboard Well

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

alambertfl

Cape Dory 25 Outboard Well

Post by alambertfl »

Hello to Everyone,
This post is directed primarily to anyone who has a Cape Dory with an outboard well.
I have 2 outboard motors that I have tried to use. One is a Evinrude 6 hp 2 cycle engine and the other is a Honda 5 hp 4 cycle. I have a great deal of difficulty getting the Evinrude to go into the well. It takes quite a bit of gyrating to finally get it mounted. The Honda is easier, but with both engines, I have to take the tiller off to get them below the traveler and into the opening in front of the well.
Has anyone done anything to improve upon this problem? Is anyone else having this problem? I was thinking of purchasing a new engine with electric start, etc., but before I do I need help with suggestions on how to modify the well to better accomodate today's engines. If anyone has a suggestion, I am definitely interested in hearing your ideas. Thanks in advance for your responses and stay safe.

Sonny Lambert
S/V Rubicon Hull # 631
1978 Cape Dory 25
Orange Park, FL
Jdpmus

Re: Cape Dory 25 Outboard Well

Post by Jdpmus »

I'm having the same issue as you. I have a 6hp Johnson which should be a match in size for your Evinrude and I had my marine service guy remove the tiller and tuck it under the crosspiece that holds the traveler. That works quite well.

I would like to upgrade to one of the newer 4 cycles but my understanding is that they are larger in size and require either reworking the mounting board or putting shims in the lazarette cover to clear the top of the engine cowl.

I'm looking at having the Johnson overhauled and getting some more years out of it. Perhaps in that time the price on the electric outboards will come down.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Sonny:

If you search the board for "outboard well" and "CD 25" you will find several threads that discuss engine size, mounting, etc. for an O/B on a Cape Dory 25. I am not computer literate (as everyone on this board knows all too well :( ). However, I did a search and found several threads, including this one:

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... 25#p154179

If you scroll down the thread, there are some links to photos that may be helpful.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Carl Thunberg

Sounds about right.

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I'm afraid there's no silver bullet here. Short of a Seagull, it's a PITA getting any engine in and out of that well. For what it's worth, the Nissan/Tohatsu 6 Hp engine fits better than most, and the consensus of this Board is that it's the engine of choice for the CD25.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Aaron Shapiro

Post by Aaron Shapiro »

Sonny:

The Honda 5hp long-shaft will go in and out of the outboard well. It can be done with a bit of patience and finesse. One good thing is that you won't need to lock it and worry about the lock corroding and freezing up on you. No thief would ever go through the toil and trouble to try to steal it. It might help to remove the limiter piece on the motor that blocks the tiller from moving downward below level. This gives more flexibility as you twist, turn, flip and coax the baby in. It helps to have an assistant as well.

Aaron Shapiro
Portland, Maine
alambertfl

Post by alambertfl »

Thanks to all for your replys to my post and your suggestions. Alan, I have the "short" shaft Honda 5 hp and I did manage to get it in the well after removing the tiller blocking piece. I also managed to lose the spring down the well while taking it off, however. The only thing about the well that I don't like is the idea that you kinda have to leave the engine there rather than remove and install every time you want to go sailing. At my age (nearing 70), that becomes an onerous task. My 6 hp outboard has apparently been used extensively in the past, but it is a bear to remove. After I give it a tuneup and transmission rebuild, I will paint the lower unit with some sort of bottom coat to help prevent all those critters from attaching themselves. When that engine wears out, I will probably follow the advice of the forum and explore purchasing a Nissan or Tohatsu. In the meantime I am hoping to enjoy my twilight years refurbishing and sailing this great little boat. I am selling a CSY 33 because my wife no longer desires to go cruising, so this 25 ft. boat is perfect for me to single hand. I have read the story of "Lefty" numerous times on our website and continue to be amazed how someone could live on one of these boats for seven years and cruise from Maine to Beaufort nearly every year for most of those years. I don't think I will have any problem cruising on it for a month or so after reading that story. Thanks again for all the support. This group is great!
Sonny Lambert
S/V Rubicon
1978 CD 25 Hull #653
Fleming Island, FL
Al Levesque

Post by Al Levesque »

Removing the tiller may be the key. We had a 77 CD25 and used an Evinrude 6hp engine with the tiller removed. We added a short throttle cable that we could reach in to adjust speed. We (I) removed the engine after every use and stored it on foam in the starboard seat locker. Never had trouble getting it in or out. I am under 5ft 7in and weigh less than 130 lbs.
Ben Coombs
King's Point, West Bath, ME

Post by Ben Coombs »

We have been using a mariner 4hp outboard, it fits in the well, turns and pushes the boat fine in flat water. I bartered for a Johnson 8hp sailmaster, a two stroke. The motor mount will need to be replaced to let this motor fit.

Does anybody in CD land have a good design? Anecdote? Warning?

It has boiled down to this project, and installing a holding tank and head before launch. Gotta get moving. In by the middle of May!
Ben Coombs
randyk

Post by randyk »

I OWN HULL #492 (1977). I had a 5 hp honda that was good only for flat water and no wind. I have installed a 1996 Nissan 8 hp 2-stroke. Have upgraded to a large, 4-blade 3500 lb plus workboat prop and my mechanic is going to do the 9.8 hp upgrade. i have the same tiller problem - but like most CD 25 owners, I leave the hatch open when motoring AND TRY TO BACK UP AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE!
QUEST
billc

Post by billc »

i had a evin 6 yacthwin in mine that was a beast to remove. if i ever use again it will be with the small 4 strokes. i did find pics where someone had modified base of well to more readily accomodate engine and removal. best solution. not too traumatic.