Overboard pump out

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Overboard pump out

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

My CD31 did not come with the optional overboard pump for the holding tank. I want to install one but wanted to see if anyone had any advise before I start. It looks like Cape Dory used a manual bilge pump for this application. Is that all the pump is? I guess I need to install another seacock below the waterline? Are there any other options?
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Russell

Re: Overboard pump out

Post by Russell »

On my CD36 its a whale gusher, so yeah, pretty much the same as the manual bilge pump. And there is no avoiding the additional seacock.

Honestly, if I was doing it from scratch, I would put in an electric macerator instead, it takes a lot of pumping to empty it via the manual pump, its pretty annoying. I actually had to replace the manual pump and wish I had just put in an electric at the time.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Yep. My 25D has a Whale Gusher of some sort as well. Since I sail in a no-discharge area, I have removed the handle from the seacock and secured it with a heavy-duty cable tie.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Our 25D has an EXTRA manual bilge pump that cna be switched to empty our holding tank out the same 'above the waterline' outlet that the manual bilge pump uses..Just pump water through the system after you empty the tank...
Randy 25D Seraph #161
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

Kevin:

Same pump as the manual bilge pump, but mounted at the forward port side of the cockpit. Since, like Joe, we are in a no discharge zone it only serves as an annoying occupier of space in the locker every time I need to service the fuel filter. I would second what Russell suggested - with an electric setup you can mount it well out of the way.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Tom Keevil

Shared Seacock

Post by Tom Keevil »

Our manual pump exits to a Y-valve. This allows one seacock to be used either for the cockpit scupper (it's normal position) or the holding tank pumpout. This is an unusual setup, but after many years of use, has caused no problems for us. It does require extra steps to switch the valve, which is often buried beneath some locker contents, but it is also one less hole in our boat.

A macerator would be nice, but it's one more thing to break down (with unpleasant consequences on a long remote cruise), and one more thing to deplete our house battery. Pumping it out is no more work than it took you to pump it all in, and we can all benefit from a bit of exercise. It's certainly not much of a chore compared to something like hauling up the anchor and chain in a deep anchorage.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
JAS
LOON

Post by JAS »

My CD 31 has bilge pump for holding tank pump out located in port locker with pump handle inserted from cockpit with seacock at lowest point of locker. Setup seems OK, but pump compromises access to locker and tubing interferes with access to panel that opens to engine compartment. The major issue is that the holding tank leaks into bilge (search prior posts). I've wire brushed bilge and poured in resin, and have tried to coat interior of holding tank with barrier coat, but am considering mounting a ledge where toilet currently sits, pulling all of the plumbing, and trying a a composting head.
Jim Stevenson
CruiseAlong
Seaford, VA

Post by CruiseAlong »

I would imagine there are some differences between the CD31s for the years they were built. When I got mine the head discharge line went into the hanging locker where it had a Y valve with selection between the holding tank and a vent loop/1-1/2 seacock at the bottom of the locker. I removed the line between the Y valve and vent loop/1-1/2 in seacock and installed another lockable Y valve which could select between the discharge coming from the head or the discharge of a macerator pump discharge. I then installed a new 1-1/2 in suction line to the pump suction which came from a 1-1/2 tee I installed in the deck pump out hose. I located the pump in the bilge on the port side upper curve of the hull, just outside the head entrance. BTW, I relocated the 1-1/2 in loop vent inside the hanging locker. It was located on the very back of the locker but when the boat heeled I could see there might be a problem of waste exiting the loop....so I moved it inboard where there was more vertical height and more inboard.

The overall function change gave me the following....all Y valve lockable
1. I did not have to install another seacock.
2. I could discharge directly out when I was far enough out to sea.
3. I could discharge directly into the holding tank
4. I could pump out at the dock
5. I could empty the tank via an electric macerator pump when I was far out to sea. (pump takes 2 minutes to empty the 20 gallon holding tank)

If you would like a schematic I would certainly be happy to send it to you
Dana
Kevin Kaldenbach
Location: Cape Dory 31 “Kerry Ann“. Currently in Corpus Christi TX and Typhoon Weekender “Wimpyâ€

Post by Kevin Kaldenbach »

Dana,
Do you have a valve prior to the pump to isolate the pump when pumping out at a pump station, or only at the Y in the discharge? I will most lilely do mine the same way. Also the macreator pumps that I see have a one inch discharge. Does yours?
Kevin
CD 31 "Kerry Ann"
kaldenbach.us
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Since pumping the holding tank is not a common practice I have a different rig that might not please everyone.

I left everything in the original set up as is. Holding tank or direct discharge with a Y valve.

I then went to my farm supply store and bought a cam lock fitting that has threads to fit the pump out fitting on one side and a hose barb on the other. I keep a bilge pump mounted on a board with the cam fitting on the intake side and about a six foot length of hose on the discharge side. When the time comes to pump out off shore I screw the fitting onto the pump out in the cockpit and clamp the cam onto it. I pump away merrily with the discharge hose hanging over the side. It doesn't take long to empty and flush with more fresh water. I then pop the cam, unscrew the fitting, reattach to the cam and trow everything but the pump overboard. I pump a while longer to run seawater through the rig and stow it away.

I have considered teeing into the pump out line and rigging up something permanent but it just seems like more trouble than the system I use now, for the amount of times I use it, Steve.
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

Yes, there is another way.. Our 25D uses the existing through the transom discharge shared with the manual bilge pump..

It took a Y valve and another bilge pump...Works great. Just be sure to run "bilge" water through the line after pumping the tank!!
Randy 25D Seraph #161