Marine head maintenance

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

jepomer

Re: Marine head maintenance

Post by jepomer »

Steve Laume wrote:
Russell wrote:Peggy Hall I know is often called the "head queen" or something like that, I assume its a book by her.
Ms Hall is The Head Mistress, If you Googled, The Head Queen you might not find something you wish you hadn't.
Surprisingly, searching for "head queen" did NOT identify "those" types of sites (most returned links switched the order to "queen's head").

Perhaps it's due to my "clean living on the net" <wink> and search engines being more predictive of individuals' choices.
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I keep my net activities very clean. I was given a web address by a used book store in PA many years ago. It was written very clearly but when I typed it in, it had nothing to do with books. I had pop ups like a whack a mole game for quite some time after that search, Steve.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Dick and Joe:

I am guessing the source of "fresh water" for the head (instead of using sea water) is water jugs brought on board :?: If so, do you just pour some into the bowl before pumping into holding tank :?:
Or did you set up a separate fresh water tank to run into the head :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Just to be clear. I have NEVER found any need for a fresh water flush. Of course, this is in the New England climate. My head works fine and I never put anything in it except what comes out of me + tp.

It is a well designed simple system - leave it alone - unless/until you have a problem and then go with the most simple solution. Pl remember that the holding needs a residual supply of "good" bacteria to "eat" the waste and washing out the holding tank gets rid of these "good" bugs. Most serious odor from the ht comes from anaerobic bacteria (live without much oxygen) but this is not a problem if the tank is vented.

Put in a new hose, put in a new head, clean the vent line and forget about it. Total effort should be 2 hours +/-.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Dick Kobayashi wrote:Just to be clear. I have NEVER found any need for a fresh water flush. Of course, this is in the New England climate. My head works fine and I never put anything in it except what comes out of me + tp.
Dick K., sorry. I forgot there were two folks posting on this thread with the same first name. I was referring to Dick Barthel (and Joe Myerson).
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Problem with fresh-water flush

Post by Joe Myerson »

Robert:

As a side note: although I found that flushing with fresh water helped keep the holding tank odor to a minimum, it also meant that the saltwater intake seacock could become an immobile barnacle condominium. One fix for that was to open and close that seacock every time I got onboard--even if I didn't actually use it.

Was it worth it? I'm not sure.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Sea Hunt Video

Marine Sanitation Hoses

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

The April 2012 issue of Practical Sailor has a very educational six (6) page article on sanitation hoses, installation of the hoses, etc. For anyone thinking of replacing their hoses, etc., this may be an article to read. They rated 5 different hoses (Raritan, Sealand, Shields, Trident) and PVC (Schedule 40).

I think you can order individual issues [800.829.9087]; customer_service@belvoir.com
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

On Joe's point above, I have decided to simply leave the leaver on the Groco pump on "wet" NEVER on dry. When the head is used I or my crew/guests simply open the seacock and close it when finished. This has eliminated lots of confusion among crew and guests and has worked very well.

Also I obtained "Get Rid of Boat Odors" by Peggy Hall from Amazon - about 10 bucks. Very clear and very useful. Makes clear in unambiguous terms the difference between aerobic an anerobic bacteria and many other things. For me the most important maintenance item will be ensuring that the vent line from ht is clear. I may install a new through hull for the vent, this year.

dk
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
svreleaseme

Post by svreleaseme »

Peppy monitors several yacht forums. I know for a fact that she is active on the Sabre Yahoo group forum. She is very generous with her knowledge and advice. I highly recommend getting religion from her sermons.
ckreitlein

Post by ckreitlein »

Lots of good advice here. Upon opening my boat after a day or two, it smells like.... well, you can imagine. I assume clorox bleach is bad ... will kill any good bacteria. But should it not also kill the bad smell. Is there anything in the plumbing that would be damaged by bleach? Would vinegar and baking soda be a good solution for clearing up dirty hoses and making things smell better?