? Boom Vang Hardware - Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Vcoast

Dover, NH

? Boom Vang Hardware - Typhoon

Post by Vcoast »

Hello Board. I want to add a tackle rigged Boom Vang to my Ty Weekender. Not a problem finding mounting hardware for the Boom, but having problems sourcing mounting hardware for the Mast. A Boom Bail, with a through bolt, appears to be the best Boom mounting option. Unfortunately, no one shows any mounting hardware mounting for end that attaches to the base of the Mast? Ideally, would be nice to find a Metal Sail Slug made for that purpose, of course that would need a stop, maybe two, not sure if the thumb screwed sail stops are beefy enough for the task. Anyone been here before?
How can my boat account be empty, I still have more checks?
Russell

Re: ? Boom Vang Hardware - Typhoon

Post by Russell »

You can use a boom bail on the mast as well.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Here is the link for installation of boom vangs on most CDs and its from Cape Dory.

Fair Winds

http://www.capedory.org/cdsoalook-group ... inemanuals
Bill Member #250.
Vcoast

Dover, NH

Post by Vcoast »

Thanks, I did see the links on this site. There is a good one showing the CD recommended Vang mounting locations. Unfortunately, just no pictures, and no longer any way to cross-reference the hardware they mentioned on this same document.
Jeff D

Post by Jeff D »

I was able to get the needed parts from Rig Rite. Although it was a few years ago I believe that the part numbers given on the Spartan instructions are the RR part numbers. If that fails you can find the right mast bail by determining your mast section.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

There was a line drawing that illustrated the X and the Y measurements as listed in the instructions for most CDs on the link I posted earlier.

Fair winds
Bill Member #250.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

FYI, to my way of thinking there must be a gross error (miss print) on the "y" dimension for the TY daysailer (TY-D).

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

Not wanting to drill any more holes in the mast, and to achieve the lowest point of attachment on the mast to give a better angle to the boom, I used a sail slug (with long portion that inserts into the bottom slot in the mast - that usually is a slug for a J24 or similar boat). I merely install this when I step the mast, attach a shaclkle to it and then attach the vang to the shackle. It works like a dream - and is removable without any holes in the mast. It also gives the best angle for better purchase to the vang. The fitting cost me about $2.50!
Vcoast

Dover, NH

Post by Vcoast »

Thanks Dick, what keeps the slug from riding up in the mast grove? Also, are we talking a garden variety sail slug, with a plastic base and wire square?
Russell

Post by Russell »

I wouldnt think a typical sail slug up to the task of the loads a vang can potentially put on it.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Jeff D

Post by Jeff D »

The TyD measurement is from the base of the mast
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

I used the sail slug mast attachment last season and it worked for me as well. The slug topped off on the halyard sheave bracket. Yes just a standard metal and plastic slug.
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

There is a cleat anchored in the lower sail track that serves as a boom tiedown. The larger J-24 style sail slug (stainless metal anchored into the plastic (nylon) slider is pretty strong and about 2 1/2 inches long. There is not a lot of tension that is needed but I was able to achieve a significant increase in the angle of purchase by having the slug at or near the bottom of the mast rather than 4 inches higher where it was previously anchored - and it was inexpensive and removable with no additional holes in the mast. Go to a local sailmaker if possible to obtain the correct style.
mmckay

Post by mmckay »

Dick Villamil wrote:There is a cleat anchored in the lower sail track that serves as a boom tiedown. The larger J-24 style sail slug (stainless metal anchored into the plastic (nylon) slider is pretty strong and about 2 1/2 inches long. There is not a lot of tension that is needed but I was able to achieve a significant increase in the angle of purchase by having the slug at or near the bottom of the mast rather than 4 inches higher where it was previously anchored - and it was inexpensive and removable with no additional holes in the mast. Go to a local sailmaker if possible to obtain the correct style.