Advice needed on outboard for Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tom ricks

Advice needed on outboard for Typhoon

Post by tom ricks »

Another newbie question: I just found out that the old outboard I got with my Typhoon is unrepairable.

So I need to get another one. I see a lot of used outboards on Craigslist. What's the best horsepower? 6? Is a 9.9 too much?

Also, any other tips about getting an outboard to hang on the boat? I know nothing about engines. Do I want a long shaft or anything?

Thanks,
Tom Ricks :?:
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: Advice needed on outboard for Typhoon

Post by Oswego John »

In my estimation, 6 HP is too much. Get the long shaft.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Jeff D

Post by Jeff D »

I have a 2hp Honda which I think is plenty. It is also light and pretty simple.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Oswego John wrote:In my estimation, 6 HP is too much. Get the long shaft.

O J
Agreed.

I had a 6 hp Suzuki long shaft on my Ty Weekender. Most of the time it was too much engine. It weighed a lot (57+ lbs I think). It did have an "onboard" fuel tank that was convenient.

A friend has a Ty Weekender with a 2 hp Honda air cooled. Much easier to deal with and enough power for Biscayne Bay waters.

If you have some strong current, tides in your area, you may need something more than a 2 hp. Once coming back from having put my Ty Weekender in a "hurricane hole" I was exiting a canal waterway. The water was choppy, there was an incoming tide plus a head wind directly off the bow pushing me backwards. My 6 hp was barely able to make way in those conditions. Other than that one occasion, my 6 hp was too much engine for a little Ty Weekender.

Make sure you get a long shaft.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
tom ricks

Post by tom ricks »

Thanks--this is very helpful, as I will be sailing in Penobscot Bay, with 12 foot tides.
Best,
Tom
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

OJ knows Typhoons better than any man alive and his advice is dead on.

I will once again bring up the fact that tides and their associated currents should not be a factor in motor selection. If a 2HP motor will push you to hull speed on still water, it will also push you to hull speed in moving water. To round things off a bit, lets say your TY hull speed is 5 knots with no current. Now add a 3 knot current. While heading into the current your speed over the ground will drop to 2 knots. Turn around and it will jump to 8 knots. Your hull speed remains at 5 knots and no amount of additional power is going to push you any faster against a current.

Wind is an entirely different matter. Additional power can increase speed over the ground against a head wind. So can raising the sails and shutting off the motor.

The 2HP, long shaft, Honda is a fine motor for the TY as well as being able to use it on your dink, Steve.
jim trandel
Location: '83 Typhoon Weekender, #1907 "Second Wind" Chicago Monroe Harbor

Post by jim trandel »

I have a 3.5hp Yamaha long shaft. It's the right power and it's light - 46lbs.
Best regards,
Jim
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Another vote for the Honda 2hp. 28lbs and pushes the boat surprisingly well. definitely long shaft. Stores nicely in the cabin.
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

You might do a search on here..think thats been discussed before...consider where you are...currents?....how far you need to motor to get to safety, etc...I'd be careful with the weight on the back of the boat...i have an older 1975 evinrude 4 hp that weighs 38 pounds on my cd22...it would be very adequate for your typhoon but I dont know about dependability...when I had my typhoon i had a minnkota electric...it was ok in calm waters but not too cool into the wind...good luck
ipswich

Post by ipswich »

i have a 6hp on my typhoon in the hudson river and it is adequate. it's not too big but also gets the job done. the tohatsu was a very good deal. i bought it new.