Cape Dory 22D Mast Height from waterline

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

josephlongAZ
Location: 'Elli' 1983 Cape Dory 22D Hull #148 Cabrillo Yacht Marina, San Pedro, CA

Cape Dory 22D Mast Height from waterline

Post by josephlongAZ »

I would like to get the mast height from the waterline, with the boat in the water, to the top of the mast. I have not been able to find this information as yet in any of the literature.

I am looking at a couple of slips for the boat and there are bridges to contend with in these marinas; the height information will help make the decision regarding these slips.

Thank you.

Joe Long
Steve Laume

Re: Cape Dory 22D Mast Height from waterline

Post by Steve Laume »

Joe, I never gave much thought to the bridge clearance of our boats. When I went to do a simple search of the specs in my manual I was shocked at the omission. It seems like bridge clearance should be listed right along with the various lengths, width, weights and draft.

If your mast is unstepped for the winter or by using a long tape on a halyard with an allowance for the mast head you should be able to come up with a mast height. A long straight edge and a measurement to the water line should give you the overall height.

Is the bridge clearance for the various Cape Dorys listed anywhere?

It seems like I should know this number for my boat as well, Steve.
josephlongAZ
Location: 'Elli' 1983 Cape Dory 22D Hull #148 Cabrillo Yacht Marina, San Pedro, CA

Post by josephlongAZ »

Thank you, Steve. I can do the measurements; the boat is on a trailer but it is not available right now to measure. I was hoping the information would be available from others past experience or literature.

So far, I've found out from the present owner (I'm in the process of buying the boat) that the mast on a 22 measures 28'.

Thank you.

Joe Long
Joe M
Location: 1984 CD Typhoon "Itilldoo" & CD10 No.315 Cape May, NJ

Post by Joe M »

Joe, The mast height on a Typhoon is 28' (waterline to mast head). On a CD 25 its 31'-6"....so you can see where I'm going here. Use the CD-25 measurement and you have some safety factor.

Another way of looking at it is using the sail plan specifications. The "I" measurement for a CD-22 is 28' (I = Height of foretriangle. Measured from deck sheer line abeam the mast to highest point of sail attachment.) Your shear line to the water line is probably about 3' +/- so again you're probably safe using 31' to 32' as your bridge clearence.

Now I probably should include some sort of legal disclaimer here. "Your results may vary, you should check your own boat, measure to the nearest 1/8 inch, measure the bridge at every possible tide change, account for boat loading, wave action...blah, blah, blah..."

Better yet find a bigger boat in the neighborhood and wait to see if they get under the bridge.

Buy the CD-22 and have fun!

Joe
josephlongAZ

Post by josephlongAZ »

Thank you Joe; makes perfect sense to me. No disclaimer necessary. I appreciate the insight.

Sincerely,

Joe Long