Teak Oil Application

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ckreitlein

Teak Oil Application

Post by ckreitlein »

I have sanded my cockpit teak but have not yet decided on a finish - Cetol, varnish, Honey Teak, etc. In the interim, would I make a mistake applying teak oil as a preservative until I decide between options. Help from an old salt would be appreciated....
SPIBob

Re: Teak Oil Application

Post by SPIBob »

For anyone taking care of exterior teak, I would recommend Rebecca Wittman's "Brightwork: The Art of Finishing Wood". She routinely used teak oil before she applied varnish. After seeing the gorgeous pictures of her work in the book, I started doing the same thing and now use two coats of teak oil before applying, in my case, Cetol. I use two coats of Cetol Natural Teak and two coats of Cetol Gloss on top of the teak oil. Looks great and holds up well.

I don't know how teak oil would work under Honey Teak or other finishes.

Whatever you decide to use, don't delay any longer than absolutely necessary. That only invites discoloration and, in my latitudes (coastal south Texas), the appearance of what I call "the black crud", which I think is some kind of fungus.
NevisTyphoon
Hull # 47

Re: Teak Oil Application

Post by NevisTyphoon »

Tom Fabula, owner of Signature Finish (HoneyTeak) will tell you it's not problem putting down the teak oil first. Overall, I've had great luck with the product, but did have a huge problem with it putting it on Andaroba after a stain that he didn't predict. If you've got a good piece of wood to sample, and can, it would be a good idea to test first....
Chris Thompson
Nevis, West Indies

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving. We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it-but sail we must, and not drift, nor lie at anchor
Oliver Wendell Holmes