centering outboard motot mount on TY transom

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mjohn

centering outboard motot mount on TY transom

Post by mjohn »

I have a 1979 TY with the standard Spartan motor mount shown here: http://www.rigrite.com/Hardware/Motor_B ... r_mnt.html. Question is, can/should the mount be centered on the transom. It would seem that the mount would clear the back stay.

mjohn
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: centering outboard motot mount on TY transom

Post by Oswego John »

Maybe by assuming the mount, itself, might possibly clear the back stay on newer models, the problem for me is when the motor is attached. The motor's steering/control arm conflicts with the stay as well as the main sheet system.

For me, it's better to mount my OB to the side of the stern, out of the way of everything. This makes for a shorter fuel hose, too.

To be honest, I never gave any thought to changing Alberg's design. He put it off center for a good reason, I guess.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
karonoko

Post by karonoko »

I sailed many Typhoons with the motor mount rig. No - it does not need to be centered (unless you use a massive hp motor!). They work GREAT and you simply use your tiller to steer.
T. Duffus
karonoko

Post by karonoko »

Oh, and be sure to put some small rubber buttons on the teak rail (or underside of the mount) so you don't harm the teak
T. Duffus
Jim Buck

Post by Jim Buck »

If you ever lose the ability to steer with your rudder (which has happened on a Ty or two), the back stay would most likely be an impediment to steering with your motor as OJ suggested and Alberg designed. Would the backstay also be an issue when using the pull start for right handers?
Jim Buck
Member #1004
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Engine steering of the TY is not just for an emergency situation.

When we were motoring the Typhoon into very tight places it could be turned around in it's own length by rotating the 2HP Honda. It was like having a stern thruster only better. You have continuous control of the stern in all directions just by swiveling the engine.

I can certainly see where the back stay would be a problem but wonder about depth of the hull on center line too.

The original motor brackets are a fine piece of work and seem to work well where originally placed, Steve.
Jim Buck

Post by Jim Buck »

Can't agree with you more Steve. I use the motor tiller for backing too as that's the only way I have complete control.
Jim Buck
Member #1004