Lazy jacks

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Dixon Hemphill

Lazy jacks

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

There are several articles about lazy jacks in magazines these days but I'm looking for a brief description of how best to make some for my CD28. Can someone who made their own that work well tell me briefly just how you installed them?
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
John Danicic

Re: Lazy jacks

Post by John Danicic »

Dixon:

I made Mariah's Lazy Jacks by following the directions in a Good Old Boat Magazine article. I believe it was the June 2001 "how to" article by Guy Stevens. In any event, it was in GOB early to mid decade and gave very complete instructions.

His system consisted of simple 1/8th inch line and required only two cheek blocks mounted up on the mast with the control lines running down the mast to cleats. The system uses no blocks like the Harken product, just loops that the Legs run through and back to the boom where they are attached with eye loops. The whole apparatus can be folded away against the mast to allow the old sail cover to be use with out adaption. I rank the improvement as one of the ten best I have done to allow single handling.

It does tend to add more lines aloft and you need to drop and raise the sail dead into the wind but it does a good job of keeping the main contained while you anchor or dock. I also found you don't need to tie in the reef points, just tighten up the lazy jack control line and the sail is contained.

A worthy improvement for a worthy boat.
Sail on

John Danicic

CD36 - Mariah- #124
Lake Superior- The Apostle Islands
CDSOA #655
Cape Dory Picture Posts
Dixon Hemphill

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

Many thanks, John,

I also saw an article in a latter issue of GOB but it looked a bit complicated.

I will follow your instructions and make one ASAP. The only problem is getting up the mast install the fixtures. Guess I'll have to find some younger guy to climb up there for me!
Within the the unlocked homes of the Swedish villages on the shores of the Baltic around the rocks sings the sea.
rorik

Post by rorik »

I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

A now infrequent contributor to this forum, Carter Brey, published a post on this subject. He detailed a very nice diagram of what appeared to be some excellent lazy jacks that he made himself.

I tried searching for the link on this website but, alas, I am, at best, "computer challenged" :oops: and was unable to locate it. I know it exists. I studied it when it was posted. It was in color with different lazy jack lines in different colors depending on this position within the system.

I believe others on this website, at the time, were going to "copy" this system. I would recommend trying to search this forum. I am confident, regardless of your computer skills, they are much, much better than mine and you will readily find the link.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Robert,

I think that this is what you are talking about.

http://www.slowflight.net/upgrades/lazy ... ow-to.html

Good luck
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

OJ:

Thanks :!: That is the design I was remembering. However, for some reason I seem to recall the photos and/or diagrams being posted by Carter B. Not sure why I have this memory. I thought he either installed them on his former Cape Dory 25 or on his newer non-Cape Dory.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Robert,

You are correct again, sir. Your incredible memory is scary. Do you realize that you are reaching back to 09/03/06?

Here's how I found it.

Open up the Cape Dory Forum. On the home page, upper right side, find "Search" and click on it.

On the new page that appears, on the top line right side, type in "Lazy Jacks"

Directly below that, on the line that says author, type in "Carter Brey".

Scroll down a few lines and click "Search".

Six posts should appear. Scroll down to the 4th post to find the link to the lazy jacks that Carter installed.

Good luck,
O J
PS: Thanks for your concern on another matter.
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Post by Carter Brey »

Oswego John wrote:Hi Robert,

I think that this is what you are talking about.

http://www.slowflight.net/upgrades/lazy ... ow-to.html

Good luck
O J
Hi folks,

Yes, that is exactly the system I installed, with one minor improvement: instead of tying off each side to padeyes beneath the boom, I made lines twice as long that loop beneath the boom through nylon fairleads. This way the two sides are self-adjusting.

It's the best lazy jack system I've ever seen, and if you do it yourself it costs chump change.

Have fun,
Carter Brey
Sabre 28-II Delphine
City Island, NY
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Post by Duncan »

John Danicic wrote:Dixon:

I made Mariah's Lazy Jacks by following the directions in a Good Old Boat Magazine article. I believe it was the June 2001 "how to" article by Guy Stevens. In any event, it was in GOB early to mid decade and gave very complete instructions.

His system consisted of simple 1/8th inch line and required only two cheek blocks mounted up on the mast with the control lines running down the mast to cleats. The system uses no blocks like the Harken product, just loops that the Legs run through and back to the boom where they are attached with eye loops. The whole apparatus can be folded away against the mast to allow the old sail cover to be use with out adaption. I rank the improvement as one of the ten best I have done to allow single handling.

It does tend to add more lines aloft and you need to drop and raise the sail dead into the wind but it does a good job of keeping the main contained while you anchor or dock. I also found you don't need to tie in the reef points, just tighten up the lazy jack control line and the sail is contained.

A worthy improvement for a worthy boat.
Thanks! Luckily enough, GOB posted this article online at:

http://www.goodoldboat.com/reader_servi ... tamers.php
John Danicic

Post by John Danicic »

Duncan:

That's it.
Thanks for the research that I should have done.

I started looking through my old hard copies of GOB and well, got distracted. A great little magazine.
Sail on

John Danicic

CD36 - Mariah- #124
Lake Superior- The Apostle Islands
CDSOA #655
Cape Dory Picture Posts
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

One suggestion. If at all possible run your control lines from the spreader instead of using cheek blocks on the mast. Just four more lines which cannot slap on the mast on a windy night. I designed mine so when not in use they can be hooked under the reefing ram horn.
Have A Nice Day
Dixon Hemphill

Post by Dixon Hemphill »

Many thanks to all you savvy sailors who gave me exactly the information I need to install the system.

No I know what my first spring project will be. Maybe I should have started today while at the boat. Temp reached 69 degrees --- a perfect day for boat projects. I did varnish my brightwork so some worthwhile work was accomplished.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I have always debated weather lazy jacks were more trouble than they are worth. So far I have not had any great problems with the main. The mention of them hanging up or being finicky about heading up, along with the possibility of chafe, have kept me from installing them

I would be more interested in knowing if anyone has them on their stay sail. Lazy jacks, with or without a down haul might be very useful on the fore deck. It was mentioned in one of the articles but how would you attach the upper point? Would it go back to the mast? Does anyone have these?

My system usually involves dumping the sail and throwing a tie or two around the mess, then cleaning it up afterward, Steve.