CD 25D refits

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ljholt

CD 25D refits

Post by ljholt »

I have CD 25D purchased two years ago. Ready for some upgrades and need some advice. Has lewmar #4 winches that are not self tailing. Do the #4 self tailers have same mounting template that is on original metal mounting brackets?. Or is there a way to mount cam cleat without too much alterations? Finally, she has new Yanmar GM2 but doesn't have raw water strainer, what size hose and size or model of strainer. Lee
Last edited by ljholt on Feb 4th, '12, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
Ron M.

Re: CD 25D refits

Post by Ron M. »

most CD intake fittings/thru hulls are 3/4"- so any raw water strainer with that size fittings would be suitable.
I have a Groco with the glass container and stainless basket.....don't have the model # handy.
As for your winches, before spending $ on self tailers an option would be to try those blue rubber- winchmates, I think they're called. I have used them on both my cd25 and 30 and they are surprisingly effective....... approx. $40.00.
CD 30c #42
S/V "Bluesails"
+ 41.69989
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

I think the determining factor for the sea water strainer is the size of the thru hull or the line attached to it. Keep us posted. I have had my 25D for ten years and it has brought many hours of pleasure and a modest but indeterminate number of hours cursing.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Re: Winchers and Tailing Hooks

Post by Joe Myerson »

Ron M. wrote:As for your winches, before spending $ on self tailers an option would be to try those blue rubber- winchmates, I think they're called. I have used them on both my cd25 and 30 and they are surprisingly effective....... approx. $40.00.
I know that this subject also generates a lot of mixed opinions, but I've been using those blue rubber Winchers on my 25D for 5 seasons and find them helpful when singlehanding. I still have the original winches on my 25D. I've contemplated replacing them with self-tailers for a long time, but other needs have already intervened.

If you can bear the expense, you will probably want to replace your winches with self-tailing models, but you might be able to get by with the Winchers.

Another possibility, relatively new to the market, is the Tailing Hook (http://www.tailinghook.com/), a system of plastic hooks and shock cords that is supposed to provide self-tailing capability to standard winches. They cost about as much as the Winchers.

I don't know if anybody has actually tried these devices, although they were mentioned in the new products section of Good Old Boat magazine.

--Joe
P.S. Like Dick K., I've had many hours of enjoyment from my 25D, as well as a "modest but indeterminate number of hours cursing." It is, after all, a sailboat.
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Just one additional thought: I, too, have contemplated self tailers but each time I

1) am astounded at the expense,

2) consider how light the loads really are on the 25D,

and then 3) consider what other nifty or required upgrade I could make for half the money...

I always wind up taking apart my original winches, lubing them - a 30 minute job - reassembling them and then going off for another season.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Jeff G

Post by Jeff G »

I have tried the rubber winch pads without much success. I have a pair of Lewmar ST30s on my 25D. That's way overkill for a 25D but a pair of Lewmar ST16s should fit the 25D nicely and bolt up to the existing bolt pattern of the Spartan winch stands. You might be able to find a used pair. As a singlehander, I love my self-tailing winches.

My 25D came with a bronze strainer screwed to the outside on the hull. It worked fine for many seasons. I did end up replacing the outboard strainer with a Groco ARG500 inboard of the boat because a surveyor recommended it. Both systems work but I think the outboard strainer is cheaper and more effective. Here's why, jelly fish, plastic sandwich bags, etc get sucked up into the intake and clog up the seacock, never making it to the inboard strainer. You still have to pull the intake hose to clear the debris.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Sorry that I can't speak on the merits of self tailing winches. I did add a second pair of two speed winches to Raven but they are not self tailing. They were used, Bronze and cheap. I also have two pairs of nice bronze cleats. I single hand virtually all of the time and just might not know what I am missing. I don't find tailing a cockpit winch to be much of a problem when an improvement would be in the multi hundreds of dollars. The only time I begin to wonder is when short tacking or maneuvering around where a lot of jib adjustments make for constant recleating.

Raven had only the through hull strainer for most of her life. When I took over, I added a Groco for added insurance. The strainer is usually very clean in the waters I sail. I have found eel grass in there though. I still have the slotted through hull so it is like belts and suspenders. I am not sure what a fresh piece of eel grass could do once it got to the water pump and beyond but the strainer does add some peace of mind.

If you keep the slotted through hull, be diligent about not painting it shut and keeping it clean during the season, Steve.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I looked at a Cape Dory 25D in Mass. that had self-tailing winches. I believe the owner told me they were Lewmar 16ST, bronze, self-tailing winches. I also think he said that he did not have to modify the winch stand (presumably Spartan Marine) when he installed the Lewmar 16STs.

I am going to check on prices at the Miami boat show in a couple weeks. I have seen them for sale new for $560-$600 each. That is a LOT of boat units :!: However, for me, with my limited experience and very limited skill level, having efficient self-tailers may be more an added safety factor than a convenience factor. At least that is how I will try to justify the purchase. :)
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
ljholt

Post by ljholt »

Jeff G wrote:I have tried the rubber winch pads without much success. I have a pair of Lewmar ST30s on my 25D. That's way overkill for a 25D but a pair of Lewmar ST16s should fit the 25D nicely and bolt up to the existing bolt pattern of the Spartan winch stands. You might be able to find a used pair. As a singlehander, I love my self-tailing winches.

My 25D came with a bronze strainer screwed to the outside on the hull. It worked fine for many seasons. I did end up replacing the outboard strainer with a Groco ARG500 inboard of the boat because a surveyor recommended it. Both systems work but I think the outboard strainer is cheaper and more effective. Here's why, jelly fish, plastic sandwich bags, etc get sucked up into the intake and clog up the seacock, never making it to the inboard strainer. You still have to pull the intake hose to clear the debris.

Thanks so much...wil keep you apprised of the on going project.

Lee
ljholt

Post by ljholt »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:I looked at a Cape Dory 25D in Mass. that had self-tailing winches. I believe the owner told me they were Lewmar 16ST, bronze, self-tailing winches. I also think he said that he did not have to modify the winch stand (presumably Spartan Marine) when he installed the Lewmar 16STs.

I am going to check on prices at the Miami boat show in a couple weeks. I have seen them for sale new for $560-$600 each. That is a LOT of boat units :!: However, for me, with my limited experience and very limited skill level, having efficient self-tailers may be more an added safety factor than a convenience factor. At least that is how I will try to justify the purchase. :)

Thanks,

enjoy the warm weather! Will begin the search..I am close to Annapolis so might get lucky.

Be safe
Lee
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Winches and Winchers - an update

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I spent two days at Strictly Sail this weekend. Great show; excellent weather; lots of pretty young ladies. :wink: All in all a great weekend.

I checked on bronze self-tailing winches from Harken and Lewmar for S/V Bali Ha'i. Either make is very expensive ($550-$600 - even at boat show prices). Harken is more expensive than Lewmar. Not sure why. The specs, etc. seem to be very similar.

A friend has recommended that, instead of expensive ST winches, I invest in the blue "winchers".

I am going to give them a try.

Joe, what size "winchers" fit the original factory non-self tailing winches on the Cape Dory 25D :?: :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Re: Winches and Winchers - an update

Post by Joe Myerson »

Sea Hunt Video wrote: Joe, what size "winchers" fit the original factory non-self tailing winches on the Cape Dory 25D :?: :?:
Sorry Robert, but I don't have the original packaging, and my Winchers are currently attached to the winches, which are on the boat.

I used to take them off every year, and putting them back on was a real struggle--until I realized why the PO kept a bottle of kid's bubble-blowing liquid on board. Just apply this soapy liquid to the winchers and the top of the winches, and they slide right on.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

yes, those winchers can be struggle to get on - but they must be tight to function properly. They are available in 3 or 4 sizes - measure your widest dimension and size accordingly.
Along with soapy water try heating them in very hot water for a few minutes.
CD 30c #42
S/V "Bluesails"
+ 41.69989
frankfurder

Post by frankfurder »

I just installed the Lewmar 15 EVO self tailers on my 25d. bolt pattern is different than the original Lewmar 7's but the brass drilled easily. Dont leave the shavings on the fiberglass like I did because it will stain :cry:

Any advice on removing brass drill shavings stain from the fiberglass?

BTW-the 15 evos were $450 each at Sailnet, best price I have seen.
Sea Hunt Video

Winchers - an update

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I purchased a set of "winchers" last week from WM. They were listed at a higher price than an online store. WM gave me the reduced online price.

They are no longer blue, at least not the ones I bought. They are gray. I think a better color. Does not stand out (contrast) as much on the bronze winch. Bought size "small" for the Lewmar No. 7 winches. VERY difficult to install. I heated them in warm water and liquid soap per instructions. Still could not pull them over the winch lip alone. It took two of us to do it. :oops: Oh to have the muscle strength I had when I was 20. Once on, they look OK and are VERY tight - as they are supposed to be.

Went out sailing that afternoon with a friend at the sailing club (Randy) who owns a beautiful Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender. Randy has done a lot of sailing around Long Island area and is very experienced and, equally important, patient in helping a tadpole sailor like me. I learned a lot from him in just a couple of hours sailing on the Bay.

The winchers worked well - at least for me. You have to make sure to wrap the jib sheet around the winch drum all the way to the underside top of the wincher and then snug it into the wincher groove. They cost about $40. A whole lot of "boat units" less than the $550-$600 each for Harken or Lewmar bronze self-tailing winches.

I will look forward to working with the winchers for the next several months and see how they perform under different wind conditions. The other day we had 8-10 kts with a few 10-12 kt periods.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097