Bigger vs. smaller

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

fenixrises

Bigger vs. smaller

Post by fenixrises »

Hi all,

Just posted on the hank on vs roller thread. So here's a new look for a different opinion about the whole big vs. small boat thing.

When I bought my 28 I wasn't sure if I could afford or handle a bigger boat by myself. Now that I have a bigger boat I find that I wish I had it before. And not only for the added space and greater speed potential. But for a reason that I have heard only a few times before.

Under many conditions the bigger boat is easier to handle than the smaller boat. I'm talking my CD28 vs. the current S2 36'. In all but tight circumstances, docking in confined spaces for example, I find the added heft of the 36 tames the "at sea" motion down quite a bit more than the 28. This makes everything from sailing to sail handling to anchor retrieval easier. And I just had a 5 day sail from the Philippines to Hong Kong to prove it to me again.

While the gear is heavier to handle it is easier on a more stable platform, makes a world of difference, at least to me.

Your thoughts? Opinions? And most important, direct experiences?

Take care,
Fred
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
Russell

Re: Bigger vs. smaller

Post by Russell »

Generally I would say bigger is always better except when docking (though bigger also often means bowthruster in newer boats, which may cancel that rule) and more importantly when paying the bills for docking, haul outs, gear, etc...

Single handing a larger boat is not more difficult at all.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Always something bigger

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Bigger is better when it comes to motion at sea. The biggest difference between my 25 and 28 is that the 28 will punch through head seas that would almost stop the 25 in her tracks. And I'm sure a 31 or 33 or 36 would be even better. But I can afford this one, it fits in the shed during the winter, it's easy to single hand and still big enough for crew.

So how big is big enough. I'd fall back on the old 2 foot rule. Two foot bigger than what you have. Or maybe 3 ft. But if I had a 31, I'd start dreaming about a 36. If I had a 36 I'd dream about a 40. If I had a 40, I'd be trying to track down one of those elusive 45's.

You went around the world on your 28, if you had gone bigger would you have gone as soon? You'll never get those years back. Love your boat every day. And when you change boats, love that one every day.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

I would like to go "one size larger" than our CD25 so that I can stand up in the cabin and be comfortable to cruise for several days. I would also like to keep it small enough to be able to trailer it home at the end of the season.

Going the other extreme, I have a Laser for those small boat urges.
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
Dan McNece

Post by Dan McNece »

I've been around Cruisers Forum for quite some time. I've searched their archives and read lots of info there. Many say that larger boats are easier to handle when things get rough. Of course, there is more comfort and room to move around as well. I have my eye on getting a large sailboat. I'm about to move to Tenn soon for work and since I'm starting out with sailing I want to get a boat now to get out on the water. I'm 6'5" so I can't go too small. Right now, I have my eye on some CD27s from FL up to MD to get started on and probably tow to a lake around TN or KY then go bigger when I move to a coast.

Even though I'm looking at 27', I'm dreaming of doing extended coastal cruising and would prefer the larger more stable boat when out on the coast.
Daniel - Rhapsody Blog
“A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.” — Lao Tzu
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

The dream? A 40+ footer and the financial wherewithal to sail off into the sunset (with someone else handling the maintenance!) But when I wake up, I have to admit to myself that the reality is that my sailing is 98% day or weekend sailing in Long Island Sound, based in a marina slip. As such, my priorities and criteria are going to be much different than Fred's. Any further "bigger is better" debate in my own head is resolved quickly by 1) per foot cost of slip, launch/haul and winter storage vs. my bank account, 2) how I feel 3/4 of the way through sanding and painting the bottom or compounding/waxing the topsides and 3) getting into and out of the slip alone. It's sad to see how many people work their way up through a series of bigger and bigger boats until they realize they have gone past their comfort zone, end up selling and get out of boating entirely.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

The CD 33 to me remains the perfect size. Family of four for a week, no worries. Single handing, not a problem. Cost, well many marina's have a 30 foot minimum so it is not much more in operating costs each year. Want to do a big trip, she can handle it - with attention to the rig and systems (but I would like higher bulwarks). Speed and comfort, just the right combination. Maintenance, just on the big side for one person but achievable. Having a beverage below while the woodstove crackles on a raw, cold and windy night, priceless.

Now, having said that, sailing a Typhoon on a blustery day ranks up there with the perfect moments of all time.
Paul
CDSOA Member
mike ritenour

Post by mike ritenour »

I agree with Paul.
I've owned a number of sailboats over the years: 33', 34', 36',40, and a 44.
I put lots of miles on all of them and in the end my 33 CD is the perfect boat for either single handing or with a shorthand crew.
Both the 40 and the 44 had bow thrusters which made them more docile near docks.
In the end I think the big/small boat quandary depends on our pocketbooks, skill level, the mission the boat is being used for and the physical ability of the crew.

Rit
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Another vote for the 33. If my marina didn't require all boats to back in, single handing would be no problem at all. With the requirement, it's best left for days with the correct wind, current, and tide situation. It never feels too big to wash or too small to live on (which I did for a year). We keep her in relatively protected waters so I can't say how she handles in large seas but she always seems very stable underway.
Russell

Post by Russell »

Jeff and Sarah wrote:Another vote for the 33. If my marina didn't require all boats to back in, single handing would be no problem at all. With the requirement, it's best left for days with the correct wind, current, and tide situation. It never feels too big to wash or too small to live on (which I did for a year). We keep her in relatively protected waters so I can't say how she handles in large seas but she always seems very stable underway.
I have never heard of a marina where backing in is required, how annoying that must be! What is their justification for this requirement? Please dont tell me its cosmetic!
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

It could be that they have a fiberglass repair crew in need of work.

The only time I wish a boat would be backed in is when the bow hung anchor is sticking out over the dock, Steve.
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Yes, sadly it is for cosmetic reasons. Other than that, it really is an amazing marina and I absolutely love it. We have new management coming in a couple weeks so hopefully the stern-to rule is the only thing that changes!
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Here's to the 33! Having owned baby Bandolera (CD-25) for 18 years, moving up to my current 33 was a challenge, BUT... so much easier on so many things.. Comfort, speed, safety. Yes, maintenance is double the effort, but when you are out there, you can really feel how secure she is. For me, as a singlehander, this is my main concern. I am a coastal cruiser, and for this, Bandolera II meets all the needs.

zeida
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Jim Cornwell

Backing In

Post by Jim Cornwell »

I've noticed that power boaters usually back into their slips. With twin screws, it's much easier than for us. But I think it's also for social reasons. Those big cockpits face the dock and turn it into one big party. In my marina the big stinkpots rarely travel at all these days - they mainly sit there showing off their For-Sale signs.

Mostly, sailers seem to prefer bow-in. This is prudent because one has control over when to leave the slip in relation to conditions (and we can always warp out - the only way I can reliably handle Yankee in reverse) but have little say about wind and current conditions upon return. I think there's a social aspect to bow-in, too. A little bit of privacy in the cockpit and the ability to watch traffic on the water rather than traffic on the dock. Hmmm.
JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

Jim:

Really well said! I am tempted to laminate your post and have it ready to hand to every powerboat owner (and the Catalina and Beneteau owners) on my dock that cant help pointing out that it is soooooooo easy to back into their slips.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx