modern sailing dink rigs

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ray b

modern sailing dink rigs

Post by ray b »

having seen the newer cats with a huge roach and long top head plate + crane
resulting in a gaff looking sail shape at the top without the extra gaff boom at mast head and weight up there
just a combo of batten and extra extra long head board and longer mast top crane
to allowing a bigger sail but not a higher sail

I am thinking of modifying a normal 13ft racing dink sail and mast [flying jr class]
by cutting off the top of the sail + mast adding full width batten/headboard with mast crane to match
and secured to the mast so the top willnot sag off to lee inducing poor sail shape
and allow the mast to rotate like a cat to project the top of the sail when off the wind

this maynot work on a bigger boat do to strain on the crane in a larger sail/boat or high winds
but who sails a dink in a gale
and a small sail in dink sailing winds should not create tooo much twisting forces on the head of the sail

I had a 16 foot schooner rig with a recut main top cut off as a foresail that sheeted to the top of the main mast

it looked like a gaff fore sail but no crane or headboard or batten used or gaff
just a minor overlap on the foot and an extra sheet to the top of the main mast
that allowed the baldheaded [no jib] rig to point very well
my rigging pro said the strain would break the rig if scaled up beyond my dinky sized rig
if used in strong winds

anyway I have a CD10 copy hull and the extra flying jr mast and sails ect
ray b

Re: modern sailing dink rigs

Post by ray b »

SEE MY POST IN THE FOR SALE SECTION FOR PICTURES OF MY CD 10 SCHOONER RIG