CD14 long oars + sliding seat?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ehegenberger

CD14 long oars + sliding seat?

Post by ehegenberger »

Has anyone rigged their CD14 for sliding seat rowing? Are there any commercially available folding outriggers that would fit? Any other suggestions? I put a sliding seat in a 1/2-ton glass fourareen and could get up to 3 kt for about 10 strokes, would expect somewhat better performance from a CD14.[/img]
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Welcome aboard the board. By the lack of response, I would guess no one here has mounted outriggers and a sliding seat.

I have a CD-10 that I row as a tender and a CD-14 that is just plain fun to row. I made riser blocks for the oar locks and use 7&1/2' Shaw and Tenney, spruce, spoon blades with both boats. I have often considered foot blocks and a sliding seat. You can brace against the seats but the stance is pretty wide and not adjustable. A sliding seat seems like it would add the greatest improvement. Not only in performance but certainly with comfort. My pelvic bones get to feeling it after a while.

I have never rowed anything with outriggers so I don't know what I am missing. I do like the convenience of being able to toss the oars in the boat and go. There is a limit on performance dictated by hull speed. The CD-14 would max out somewhere under 4 knots. I have never GPS checked to see what speeds are attained with the oars I have.

It seems like a frame that would drop into the boat would be ideal. Does anyone make something like this? Have you rowed different boats with outriggers? Have you rowed the CD-14 with traditional oars? Would this set up be for a workout or do you have some other plans? Where are you? If you do get this together I would love to try it.

The CD-14 is a great rowing boat in any configuration, Steve.
Ldybg
CD 28 #125
Raritan YC, NJ

CD14 sliding seat

Post by Ldybg »

I have a little river marine heritage 15 that has just what your describing, sliding seat and folding diggers. Uses 9.5 ft oars (same as racing shells). It will go 5mph.

Mine is set up differently, but this may be what your looking for
Row Wing Folding Wing Rigger:
http://www.rowalden.com/pubsite11/index ... &Itemid=81

Dennis
ray b

Re: CD14 long oars + sliding seat?

Post by ray b »

I have used a skateboard as a sliding seat in dinks with out a cb trunk in the way and a flat bilge floor
or a plank to roll on

yard sale rowing machines are another source for a seat= track cheap
while outrigger oar locks are nice a seat will allow you to swing a 8-9 ft oar without the outriggers

they make drop in outriggers with a seat+ track for rowing shells but pricie new and hard to find used
and too high up to work in a hull with a C/B trunk

cheap oar trick
buy a 8 to 10 2/4 of suitable wood I like redwood light and semi-cheap and in stock in clear no knot wood
angle cut so one end is 3'' and the other 1''
shape with saw/router/plane to ruff curve and reduce the last 6 or so inches of the 3'' bit to hand grip size
my trick is then use a old 5 gal paint bucket to make curved spoon ends
aka 10 dollar oars sets

btw I have in miami a 10-6 CD [copy hull] with no C/B trunk or anything else bare glass hull
that would be a good sliding seat boat project
Steve Laume

Re: CD14 long oars + sliding seat?

Post by Steve Laume »

I looked at a bunch of the outrigger boats and it seems like the oar locks are spaced at about 66". I believe the CD-14 is about 54" wide. This would mean you only have to extend about 6" on either side. It should not be too hard to rig something up to gain that much.

The drop in units just don't seem like they would work on our boats with the seat and CB trunk in the way. A sliding seat that would clamp or pin onto the existing seat and trunk seems like a more workable solution.

How long an oar could be used with the original spacing?

I have built a good number of canoe and kayak paddles. Most of them had laminated shafts. The blades can be very thin and light if they are glass and epoxy coated. An oar building project might be fun and I am sure the commercial offerings are not cheap so it might be worthwhile as well, Steve.