Spartan wrenches

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
rollo_cd26

Spartan wrenches

Post by rollo_cd26 »

I am looking for a set of Spartan stuffing box wrenches to adjust the stuffing box on my CD26D (1" shaft). If you no longer use yours or have moved to a different stuffing box, please consider selling.
Rollo
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Or a really stout screwdriver and a small hammer.

That and a large set of channel locks works pretty well on Raven.

If you can find the wrenches I am sure they are a joy to work with, Steve.
rollo_cd26

Post by rollo_cd26 »

Yes, I have considered channel locks, but mine gouge and scratch the jam nut and are not as quick to handle as the wrenchs meant for the job. Mirabile is yet to splash in the water and I am only conjecturing what the first few minutes of launch will be like as I flail around trying to get it away form the trailer.

BTW, have you seen the post about graphite packing? Here I struggled to get that stuff in on my boat and now we find out it is poison.
Rollo
Carl Thunberg

Where are you located?

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I have a pair that I'd rather not part with, but you're welcome to borrow them. I'm in New Hampshire, where all the politicians come to roost every four years, like migratory birds.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
rollo_cd26

Post by rollo_cd26 »

And, I am still looking for a set of Spartan stuffing box wrenches to adjust the stuffing box on my CD26D (1" shaft). So far no luck, one lead has disappeared. I would really like to own these.
Rollo
jbsails
"Sumiko" Edgewater, Fl.

Spartan wrenches

Post by jbsails »

Rollo,

As far as I know Spartan Marine is still making them unless they have gone out of business? They run $45 acording to their price list. I bought a prop shaft hose from them about a year ago. Here are the links to their site.....

Catalog page with wrenches.

http://www.spartanmarine.com/catalog.html

And their price list.

http://www.spartanmarine.com/pricelist0 ... ABLED=true

Their home page.

http://www.spartanmarine.com/
Fair Winds,
John
rollo_cd26

Post by rollo_cd26 »

I have the link for Spartan and they do make them, but I was hoping that someone was tired of theirs and would part with them. An earlier lead fizzled. Is there a good alternative that does not score up the jam nut?
Rollo
jbsails
"Sumiko" Edgewater, Fl.

Spartan wrenches

Post by jbsails »

I stand corrected, I went and check the price on the wrenches and they are now $49. I know they cost, but there is no real (other tool) that works as well and that does not score up the jam nut. Something else to think about is that one of the wrenchs is straight and the other one has an offset. This makes it possible to get a good bit on the nuts which makes it easier to tighten them in the tight places they seem to be located. Put this all together when your are 50 miles off shore in a rough seas and you need to tighten them up $49 isn't a bad investment! Good luck, you never know when a pair could show up!
Fair Winds,
John
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Worth every penny

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

I fought my stuffing box for a week with every tool I could find. The box hadn't been touched in over 5 years when I bought the boat. I finally gave in and paid the money- 15 seconds later, the stuffing box was unscrewed. Well worth the money. If you are anywhere near Jacksonville, Fl you can borrow mine but I'm not willing to part with them permanently and would rather not mail them anywhere.
mike ritenour

Re: Spartan wrenches

Post by mike ritenour »

Rollo,
If you can't find any I could trace my and sent the traces to you for replication.
Rit
rollo_cd26

Post by rollo_cd26 »

I got mine yesterday from Spartan, $49 free shipping. Now i too can distort my body and descend to the nether regions of my boat to confront the horrors of the stuffing box.
Rollo
mike ritenour

Post by mike ritenour »

For that operation I cut a 24" hatch into my cockpit sole and now its an easy matter to climb into my
"engine room" and take care of things.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: Spartan wrenches & Cockpit Hatch

Post by tjr818 »

mike ritenour wrote:For that operation I cut a 24" hatch into my cockpit sole and now its an easy matter to climb into my
"engine room" and take care of things.
I have been contemplating the same thing. What type of hatch did you use? Would that compromise the cockpit floor?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27