Heading South thoughts

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

cguthrie

Heading South thoughts

Post by cguthrie »

I'm considering taking our 27 down out of Maine and all the way to Charleston or beyond this summer. I've sailed her as far as Boston before but never anything as ambitious as this. I know the ICW is available but have never used it before. It seems like a safety net that would always be available to me if needed.

What kind of prep do you think I need for a trip like this besides navigation planning? The sails will be new. I'll have extra parts for the engine. It is an underpowered YA8 but works okay. Since we have a tiller and no self-steering, the trip will be made in short stages rather than heroic overnight passages. I do have a GPS but I don't have the following: radar, wind generator, spinnaker, or an extra suit of sails (unless I keep the old ones aboard that are quite well used). But space in the 27 is limited and I don't was to overcrowd the boat either.

I'm thinking it might be worth having a survey done. I haven't had one since we bought the boat almost ten years ago.

What else should I be thinking of? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Cliff Guthrie
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Auto pilot

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Cliff,

I would make an auto pilot an absolute must. The advantage in avoiding fatigue, the ability to do other things while the ap steers, all add up to a must have in my opinion. You still have to keep a proper lookout, but I've never had a cruise where the autopilot wasn't voted most valuable crew.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
jerryaxler

Maine to Charleston

Post by jerryaxler »

I would check with members of this board for local knowledge for stopping points along the way. Some anchoring spots that are obvious to locals are not always evident on the charts. Manasquan"s Glimmer Glass and Absecon's Brigantine anchorages are examples.
Once you get to the Chesapeake it is fairly well protected all the way to Charleston, but the lCW does shoal so alert navigation is required.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

You might check out "Activecaptain.com" as well. It has some good info.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
cguthrie

Autopilot

Post by cguthrie »

Very helpful. I've done some reading today and think that I'll put the ST2000 on my self gift list for the summer. Activecaptain.com looks great. Didn't know about that.
Thanks for these great tips.
Cliff Guthrie
Klem

Post by Klem »

I wouldn't worry too much about not having spare sails with you. Provided that your old set are serviceable, you could get them shipped to you in the very unlikely scenario that you will need them. It does not sound like you will be going far enough offshore that a torn sail could spell disaster.

The best way to deal with engine problems is to have extra time built into your schedule. If the problem is fixable, the most that it will take is time (and money unfortunately) to get it fixed. Needing a complete replacement is something that no amount of spares can make up for and is something that you deal with when you get to as far as I am concerned. Having spares of things like your impeller certainly make sense.

In my opinion, the two biggest differences when sailing farther from home are that you can't run home and hide in the case of weather and you need to plan ahead more when restocking. Regarding bad weather, having the best ground tackle you can buy combined with a hurricane plan will be your best bet. With smart phones nowadays, you can often get good enough internet to really understand the forecasts better. This summer I had really good internet aboard for the first time and sitting out Irene was a very different experience than sitting out all of the previous storms because I had much better information.

Regarding restocking, having cruising guides or lists that include directions to grocery stores and marine stores as well as a good backpack that can carry a lot seems to work pretty well. When I worked commercially, we just considered cab-fare to be an expense associated with restocking in other ports but I like to do it more cheaply on my own.

Since you don't currently have an autopilot, you will need some way to allow yourself to leave the helm from time to time. This could be heaving-to, having another person always on board, an autopilot or maybe even balancing your sails really well. Having sailed thousands of days without using an autopilot, I feel that they are not necessary with some previous planning but it will sometimes mean that you hand steer for 15+ hours. Realistically, I never use one even when it is there when it is my watch unless I am doing something like a sail change but there are people who will use it almost all the time. I think that this goes into the personal preference category but you do need some way to steer or stop.

If you take your time, a trip like this is really not any harder than a trip to Boston, just longer.
tartansailor

Re: Auto pilot

Post by tartansailor »

Jerry Hammernik wrote:Cliff,

I would make an auto pilot an absolute must. The advantage in avoiding fatigue, the ability to do other things while the ap steers, all add up to a must have in my opinion. You still have to keep a proper lookout, but I've never had a cruise where the autopilot wasn't voted most valuable crew.
+2
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
svreleaseme

Re: Heading South thoughts

Post by svreleaseme »

Cliff,
Glad to hear your getting a tiller pilot. Hook it up to the gps and you'll love it. Heading south in the summer plan on motoring a lot. Have plenty of fuel cans on board and refuel when its calm not when you're low on fuel. And carry lots of diapers. So many places to go and check out. Have fun.
Randy
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

West Marine UNLIMITED TOWING

Get good local information on Cape may to C/D canal. The Delaware is big with strong tidal currents and a monumentally boring shoreline and HEAVY commercial shipping.

Block to Cape May presents the question of direct (outside) or indirect (inside).

Once in the Cheasapeake it is pretty protected.

Heading S/SW heads you into the prevailing wind in summer, so having an engine that is in good repair with spare parts is important.

I have the ST 2000 and it works great - if it is your style - tying it into the GPS is a good idea, but it is kind of a style thing.

Sounds like you will be going solo, but maybe not - who goes with you for which legs is an important consideration.

Wave as you pass through Buzzards Bay
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

cguthrie wrote:I'm considering taking our 27 down out of Maine and all the way to Charleston or beyond this summer. I've sailed her as far as Boston before but never anything as ambitious as this. I know the ICW is available but have never used it before. It seems like a safety net that would always be available to me if needed.
BE very careful and cautious in thinking about the ICW as, "a safety net"... Yes it CAN be IF your ALREADY in the ICW... Getting across various inlets from the ocean to the ICW is where the problem lies... Get IN SOON IF you think it MAY be necessary.. after the 'storm' is upon you is usually too late to run most inlets, especially at night and with an unknown pass.

Be safe and have fun
Randy 25D Seraph #161
John M

Post by John M »

Having just done the ICW from NC to west coast of Florida in a trawler, you need to be aware that many of the inlets can be hazardous. Also the current, can in places be considerable, you will have to transit certain areas at slack tide. The last issue is the depth although most of the trip is no problem, we did run aground several times with a 3ft draft, this happened where we were warned by the cursing guide that the shoals were variable.
John M.
Hud Smith

Post by Hud Smith »

Hi Cliff,
We had a 27 and loved it. For long hauls, I'd take the spare main, get a tiller auto pilot, and get a good oil change pump/system (plastic bags,etc.). The pump can be manual, but it needs to be good. I never seem to have enough hands to pump oil and hold the storage can. As for myself, I've never found a good pump, so if you succeed, please post any results of your search.
Hud Smith
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Sounds like some good comments you're getting. I would only add some strategic thinking about tools and clothing. What different jobs if any, could you do on this trip and what tools would you need for them? You can drive yourself nuts because it is like scraping paint and you can keep going ad infinitum but be honest about what you would really do or not and make a list of tools. Come back the next day and look at the list again. You can get things shipped to you as a post says so keep in mind your stowage!

A good pair of foulies is important. I once sailed to Australia across the Tasman with a borrowed sheepskin lined PVC jacket. I was wet as hell and moved like the Michelin man - but warm. It made me realize the importance of good clothing on a long night watch. There are a bunch of good and now pretty inexpensive jackets and bibbs around, West Marine Third Reef come to mind. I would add a lightweight jacket and pair of rain pants for when the bibbs are too much - especially in summer. Even on Lake Superior, known for its cold ass voyages, I more often use my hiking rain pants. But when you need the bibbs there is no substitute.

For a Chesapeake cruise I would also put some thought into a simple but strong and easily rigged awning. I could see using that as much as self steering rig. Consider seeing if it can be rigged while sailing like a bimini.

Good luck, sounds like a great time...
Paul
CDSOA Member
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

As mentioned, a good set of foulies is important. For me, not much is quite as bad as wet feet while on watch with no relief in sight for several hours. Deck boots work for me.

My eyesight is no longer as sharp as it once was. I rely on a good set of binoculars to discern navigation aids ahead of time, not when I am upon them.

Sun protection is valuable. A wide brimmed sun hat (with chin strap). Poloroid shades, (with neck band). Sun protection cream, SPF#15 or stronger.

If you are on any medications, make preparations for an extended duration. See if the MD can write time dated scripts for refills. Make sure that you carry the doctor's name and contact information should any refill problem arise.

Don't forget to bring battery chargers for your cell phone and other hand held electronics.

Replenish the first aid kit with fresh stock.

I was going to mention fresh limes and other ingredients to prevent beri-beri and scurvy from setting in at sundown. On second thought, I won't.

Have you considered asking others if they would like to crew for you, even for part of the cruise?

It sounds like a nice trip.

Good luck,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Duncan Maio

Post by Duncan Maio »

All sound like good advice. Maybe the loft that made your new sails will hold the old ones, and can FedEx them to you if needed.

I use EarthNC charting app on the iPad - it works great and has a NEXRAD radar overlay for weather info. You should be in cell range for most of the trip.

If you want a spare Guthrie Roller, I think I still have one.

Please keep a log and share as you go (or at least on your return).
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI