Lifting eye in bilge

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

akerj

Lifting eye in bilge

Post by akerj »

I recently purchased a '75 Typhoon. Is the eye bolt in the bilge for lifting the boat frequently or was this used just at the factory during building. I need to do some trailer modifications over the winter and would like to lift it and use jack stands for off trailer support.
billc

Post by billc »

i don't know about the typhoon but my cd 25 had two. i removed them with a light tap from a hammer. they snapped cleanly due to corrosion. i would strongly recommend against lifting with....
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Keel Eye Bolt

Post by Oswego John »

I never use the keel eye bolt to lift my Tys.

Here is another way that I sometimes use to lift my hull. I place two or three scaffold planks across the scaffold uprights and use a sling to support a come-along for hoisting.

A word of caution. When lifting in this manner, make sure that the vee bow support is free from the cutwater. The idea is that part of the hull will rock, or pivot, up and down on the forward poppets. Otherwise, the entire weight of the hull will be shared by the vee bow support and the hoist and place an excessive strain on the scaffold planks and come-along. You will be raising the boat off of all the adjustable supports instead of the aft supports.

BTW, this is a pic of an early Typhoon. It was built in 1966 by Naugus Fiberglass Industries before Cape Dory got the rights to build Tys. Notice that there are no cabin port windows. The dots on the sides of the cabin are bullseye navigation running lights.

Best rgards,
O J

"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
ronkberg

OJ, I am shocked......

Post by ronkberg »

WHERE IS ALL OF THE SNOW? WE ARE ALREADY INTO DECEMBER AND YOUR BEAUTIFUL TYPHOON IS SITTING ON A CLEAR DRIVEWAY.

By the way, is that Pineapple? She looks better than when I inspected her back here in New England.

Regards and I hope the snow is coming soon for you.....yuk, yuk

Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Oswego John

Be Careful, You Can Get What You Wish For (in spades)

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Ron,

Truth be told, that picture was taken several years ago. Pineapple is resting about 40' to the right of where this picture is. I haven't done too much on Pineapple since my accident. If I can find them in my picture file (read shoe box) [one of many], I'll show you why I slowed down a step or two, why I couldn't go to Fair Hope this past November.

Under the crazy weather category, the weather guy last night said that we would have about 4" of the white #$%& on the ground when we got up this AM. There was just a little white coloring on the lawn.

I had to go to the VA Hospital in Syracuse this AM. I called in to see if all systems were "go". Good thing I called. The guy I was supposed to see hadn't got to work yet. He lives north of me and he got socked in with a blizzard.

As I write, the sun is out brightly. 8 or 10 miles to the north they are in the middle of a blizzard. We get hit with what they call "Lake Effect" storms. Depending on their intensity, they come in bands several miles wide and usually come off the lakes in a west to east direction. I guess that we lucked out so far. Knock on wood. We've only had a total of maybe an inch of snow this season. Last year on Dec. 6, there was 48" on the ground. Go figure.

BTW, the green Ty is my "Yup". I had her for a long time but I don't know how long. I never kept records back then. I had no idea that there was a Cape Dory outfit. I just saw the boat, liked it and bought it.

Now I'll look for the pix of my mishap.

Best regards,
O J

The tractor landed on top of me. The steering wheel in my chest pinned me under it. Gas was running down on one side of me and hot oil on my other side. It could have been a lot worse.

"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Ouch! Get well, OJ

Post by Joe Myerson »

OJ,

At least you weren't running the snow blower when the accident happened.

Get well!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
GLutzow

Not safe

Post by GLutzow »

When I purchased my Typhoon Weekender new from Cape Dory in 1980 I inquired about that lifting eye in the bilge. They told me that the eye was there to maneuver and lower the keel weight into the hull and was not stressed, nor meant, to carry the full weight of the ship. Just a word of caution.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
ronkberg

Okay OJ, there must be more to the story

Post by ronkberg »

The mower looks to be on flat ground and there are no beer bottles left on the grass. Did a moose run into you or maybe a strong wind gust off the lake? Gotta be a better story that you can sew about this and I am surprised that some of the other "wise guys" haven't commented.......yet! Neil Gordon must be asleep or he'd surely comment on the accident.

Anyway, hope you are healing well and will be up for all the holiday parties.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

From da Mainers, Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Okay OJ, there must be more to the story

Post by Neil Gordon »

ronkberg wrote:Gotta be a better story that you can sew about this and I am surprised that some of the other "wise guys" haven't commented.......yet! Neil Gordon must be asleep or he'd surely comment on the accident.
My best reconstruction based on all available facts is that it's an abduction by aliens gone wrong; as the lifting eye on the tractor gave way while OJ was being hoisted to the mother ship.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

certainly makes the blades easier to sharper in that configuration.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Oswego John

Mishap

Post by Oswego John »

Geez, you guys can be merciless and cold hearted, not a bit of sympathy in the whole bunch of youse.

Okay, since you're holding my feet to the fire, I'll confess. Here's what happened, the skinny, the real truth, the whole unvarnished truth sans literary license. Are you sitting down?

If you'll kindly scroll back to the pictures I posted, take a hard look at the fence. Notice that it is listing slightly to port. Under the first or upper picture, you will see a log lying against the base of the fence. I had logs around the perimeter to keep the dogs inside from digging under and getting out. Sometimes I thought that the dogs were half groundhogs.

Well, anyhow, I made mistake #1. I didn't need any more mistakes after that one.

I was mowing around the tree that is shown. The front wheels rode up on a log, head on to the fence, just enough to raise the front end of the mower. The mower started to roll up the fence. The angle of the mower threw me back in the seat and I couldn't hit the clutch or reach the ignition key.

Well up we went, still in foreward gear until we made a near perfect back flip, actually a half gainer of sorts. Kaboom, down we went, mower on top, O J on the bottom with the steering wheel firmly holding me to the terra firma. (much terror) Fortunately, when weight is removed from the seat, the engine shuts off. Maybe an inclinometer shutoff on my new mower might be in order.

Well, anyhoo, that's my story yer honor, and I'm sticking with it.

Stay warm, you northerners.
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Inclinometer

Post by tjr818 »

That kind of switch might come in handy on my CD. When the weight is removed from the seat the mainsheet is released....
Glad to hear you are OK.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Mishap

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote:Geez, you guys can be merciless and cold hearted, ...
A careful analysis of this thread will show that for the most part, we're either merciless OR cold hearted. Only a small handful of us are both. To suggest otherwise might be described as, well, being merciless and cold hearted.

:wink:
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Just to keep us "on thread"

Post by Jim Davis »

OJ

Where is the lifting ring on the tractor?
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei