CD 27 & Inland Passage From Seattle to Alaska

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Richard G.

CD 27 & Inland Passage From Seattle to Alaska

Post by Richard G. »

Has any one either done this trip, or know of anyone who has? Would the CD 27 be suitable for this voyage?

Thanks.
barfwinkle

Can't Help But

Post by barfwinkle »

What a trip that would be and surely if a 25D can make it to Australia a 27 can to the inland passage..

Good Luck, Fair Winds and Happy Thanksgiving
Bill Member #250.
Stan W.

Paging John Vigor.

Post by Stan W. »

I don't know if he ever went all the way to Alaska but John Vigor sailed his CD 27 all over that area. It seems like he hasn't posted here for a while but maybe your post will catch his eye or maybe you can contact him via his website (www.johnvigor.com) which is worth a visit in any event. I'm pretty sure he will tell you to go for it.
Scott Launey
Naugus Fiberglass Mfg. Located: San Diego

Post by Scott Launey »

I've done it in a 7-8 knot trawler and it's a beautiful trip. There are quite a few books about it and it is a great adventure, but takes a lot of planning on the tidal currents. Seymour Narrows is a real thrill and must be timed exactly at slack. A CD 27 could do it with proper planning and plenty of time.

You'll also be motoring most of the time so make sure your power plant is up to it.

Scott
Scott Launey
San Diego, CA
1966 Typhoon Weekender
"Angelina"
Naugus Mfg. #36
Tod Mills

My 17' Montgomery has been most of the way...

Post by Tod Mills »

A previous owner of BuscaBrisas took her from Port Angeles, WA to Bella Coola, BC and back one summer.

His plan was to go to Alaska, but what he found was that since the boat was a little too small for a cabin heater, everything was slowly getting wetter and wetter and the voyage ceased to have enough creature comforts as a result.

So.....I suppose one thing to take from his experience is to have a vented cabin heater?

I think someone also completed the trip to Alaska in a West Wight Potter 19....
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Jim Buck

RE: Icy Straits

Post by Jim Buck »

In 1995 I spent a summer all throughout that area on an 85' research vessel. We were transported by helicopter from the ship to research sites all over the Anderson Archipelago. I can only echo Scott's sentiments; VERY strong tidal currents in certain areas. We had some anchorages which required all night vigils just to make sure the hooks didn't slip due to the strong tides. If you were to stick to Icy Straits and/or Chatham Straits the currents won't be so bad. But get into some of the smaller narrows and I'm not sure a small diesel would handle it. As Scott wrote, make sure your power plant is quite capable and research the tides.

We had a humpback that literally brushed the side of the hull. Pods of orcas and breaches by humpbacks were the norm. Halibut and crab were on the grill periodically. Bald eagles (Ketchikan pigeons as they are locally known) and sea otters were plentiful. Most enjoyable work environment ever for me. Only thing better would be to see it on a CD.
Jim Buck
Member #1004
SurryMark

Re: My 17' Montgomery has been most of the way...

Post by SurryMark »

Tod Mills wrote:A previous owner of BuscaBrisas took her from Port Angeles, WA to Bella Coola, BC and back one summer.

His plan was to go to Alaska, but what he found was that since the boat was a little too small for a cabin heater, everything was slowly getting wetter and wetter and the voyage ceased to have enough creature comforts as a result.

So.....I suppose one thing to take from his experience is to have a vented cabin heater?
True, a proper vented heater in a 27 is unlikely. I've mounted a Mr. Buddy propane heater on the door, in a way that I can take it off. On evenings in the mid or low 40s, with the heater turned up high and one board out of companionway, and a porthole or two open, it has made the cabin warm and dry. Suggestions for a vented heater are welcome.
Mark Baldwin
Surry, Maine
www.borealispress.net
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Re: CD 27 & Inland Passage From Seattle to Alaska

Post by Carter Brey »

Richard G. wrote:Has any one either done this trip, or know of anyone who has? Would the CD 27 be suitable for this voyage?

Thanks.
I just read a very beautiful book by Jonathan Raban, Passage to Juneau (1999, Vintage). It's a multi-threaded account of a singlehanded sailing trip he made in his 35-footer from Seattle to Alaska in the mid-1990's. It's part travelogue, part historical musing over the 18th century voyage of Captain George Vancouver, and part heartbreaking story of the death of his father and the breakup of his marriage.

Mr. Raban is a British expatriate who relocated to Seattle years ago and has since done some unusual, insightful writing on America. He also loves to sail.

Highly recommended.

Carter Brey
S/V Delphine
1982 Sabre 28-II #532
City Island, NY
bill2

triton

Post by bill2 »

Also -

some years back - maybe mid/late 1980's - there was a story about a family that took their refitted Pearson Triton ( Alberg 28.5' ) up the inside passage tho not sure whether they got all the way to Alaska.

The story was in Sailing or Cruising World ( or ???? ) and there was a pic on the cover of a boat ( not the Triton ? ) anchored in an inlet of BC. I kept the article ( I had a Triton at the time ) and if I come across it I'll pass along month/year for those interested .

Being as CD's are - imho - " better " than the Triton ( no offense to Triton lovers meant - an excellent boat even with the atomic four ) I say go for it but keep your itinerary flexible - weather/boat capabilities/gear and such .

Good Luck
Steve Behnke
"Altariel", Juneau, Alaska

We see all kinds

Post by Steve Behnke »

Although I haven't done it yet, just about every type of boat known has made the trip, from the unpowered (kayaks,canoes, rowboats), to the underpowered (like our CD 27's!), to the over-the-top-powered.

A couple came up in a 15' sailboat last summer (note that they're selling her in Juneau rather than sailing back! (http://juneau.craigslist.org/boa/2707375558.html).

I'll second earlier comments about making sure your engine is in good shape -- you'll mostly motor. And figuring on spending lots of time scratching your head over the direction of tidal currents.

Weather tends to be drier earlier in the season in Southeast Alaska. We like June.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

The CD27 is a pretty rugged boat. The creature comforts are what you make of it as you prepare the boat the way you want it. Different strokes for different folks.

My only concern is the engine. The 27s with YSM8 or earlier engines are, shall I say, power challanged if sea conditions are against you. So think about that if you plan to do a lot of engine travel into contrary wind, waves and currents.

Otherwise I think the boat is up to the task of withstanding the trip. Its the power plant that can be the Achilles heal in all this.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
rorik

Post by rorik »

Another good read:

http://www.amazon.com/Row-Alaska-Wind-P ... 0945989229

San Juans to Alaska in a 17' open dory - rowed.
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.
Tom Keevil

Getting to Seattle

Post by Tom Keevil »

The trip from Seattle to Alaska will be a piece of cake after the trip from LA to Seattle. That's all upwind in some seriously bad seas.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
Tod Mills

Re: My 17' Montgomery has been most of the way...

Post by Tod Mills »

SurryMark wrote:
Tod Mills wrote:A previous owner of BuscaBrisas took her from Port Angeles, WA to Bella Coola, BC and back one summer.

True, a proper vented heater in a 27 is unlikely. I've mounted a Mr. Buddy propane heater on the door, in a way that I can take it off. On evenings in the mid or low 40s, with the heater turned up high and one board out of companionway, and a porthole or two open, it has made the cabin warm and dry. Suggestions for a vented heater are welcome.
In the case of a boat in the PNW, given the fact that there would be a lot of motoring going on, it might make sense to utilize engine coolant heat to warm the cabin. I've not checked into what products are available, but I expect it is doable. I know there is at least one product, but iirc, it is pretty expensive.

It would probably be possible to mount a vented cabin heater similarly to how you are doing the Mr. Buddy....a portable arrangement that vents through a custom drop board. Would of course be best to have the heater down low, but again, I'll bet a nice solution could be had that wouldn't involve mounting a heater permanently or punching holes in the deck for the exhaust....

edit: Another option might be to utilize an electric heater while motoring, assuming the current electrical system can handle the load. With all the motoring, that would go a long way towards keeping things dry and toasty belowdecks, although it would cool off shortly afterwards, I'm sure.
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
rorik

Post by rorik »

Reasonably cheap, simple to install. Engine coolant provides the heat. It won't help at all if your anchored or sailing, but it will cut heating costs while motoring.

http://www.suremarineservice.com/REALfanheaters.aspx

Edit: Since I assume you're not living aboard except for the trip, have you thought about a really small wood stove like a Fatsco Tiny Tot?
I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means no.