"Full Batten Main Sail" Pros & Cons?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

drb9

Not sure . . . .

Post by drb9 »

I have a fully battened main, with an attached foot. I've read the articles, and can understand some of the advantages of a loose foot. But, with my sail, I have two grommets in the clew of my sail, one about 8" above the other. I had read on this board *here* that the upper one is for normal winds, and you should switch the outhaul to the lower grommets under light-air conditions. Wouldn't that essentially give you a loose foot under normal sailing conditions?

I'm still trying to figure out what a batten car is, or why you would use it. Would you need a track for the cars? Why is my slotted mast, plus slugs, not good enough?
I set sail in the confident hope of a miracle
Dick Barthel

Re: Many Thanks

Post by Dick Barthel »

tartansailor wrote:Sincerely appreciate all of the input. Based on the insight gained here we are now looking at a batten slide and cars, plus the main.
With the mast down, now is the time to instal the slide. :(
I purchased a new main three weeks ago (North Direct) so I missed the benefit of this very informative thread. I came to a similar conclusion though - loose footed using 2+2. With a smaller boat/smaller sail like mine I think the 2 +2 might be close to a no brainer but I wouldn't argue the point.

I am installing a Tides Marine slide system which is fairly expensive but eliminates one of the worse features on my boat when single handing - the damn slides hanging up when you're trying to raise or lower in any kind of wind. The rigger that our yard uses tells me it's a very good system. I got the name from a recent Good Old Boat renovation article. I also found a good installation video on the Sail Magazine website.

Incidentally, Dan Calore who has presented various times at NE Fleet functions is no longer with North Direct but Mike Koster is very knowledgeable and happy to continue the tradition.

Good luck with all the upgrades.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Dick
GLutzow

shape

Post by GLutzow »

The cut of a loose footed sail is different from a sail designed to have a captive(slug) footed sail.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Maine_Buzzard wrote:Are you thinking of a loose footed main vs. a captured foot? The loose foot does move the load to the clew, which may be an issue if you have midboom sheeting.

How is that different from a reefed main (boom track slugs not bearing load--only clew and tack)?

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Foot loose--Loose foot, what's the difference?) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

the foot of the sail has a different shape to it.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"

Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Loose-footed main

Post by Carter Brey »

Hi,

I had UK make me a new main last year with a single full-length batten and three extra-length battens. Loose-footed, draft stripes. A real pleasure to trim. At the same time, I installed a Tides Marine sail track. Sail comes down into the lazy jacks faster than Mata Hari's drawers.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Photos/M ... w=3a08b02f

Best regards,
Carter
tartansailor

Re: Loose-footed main

Post by tartansailor »

Carter Brey wrote:Hi,
. Sail comes down into the lazy jacks faster than Mata Hari's drawers.
Best regards,
Carter
:) :)
Dick
GLutzow

Link

Post by GLutzow »

Carter; I tried your link and was slapped on the wrist because "I didn't belong there"
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"

Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

I don't think you need batt cars

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Dick,

I've had a full batten main for years and I don't have batt cars. Just the same slugs that came with the boat originally. Sailmaker told me that you only need them on big boats with big sails. My former 25 was fine and so is my 28. Never any problem putting the sail up or lowering it. Less complexity, less cost. :)
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Link

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

GLutzow wrote:Carter; I tried your link and was slapped on the wrist because "I didn't belong there"
Same thing happened to me. Obviously, Mata does not want us to see what's under her drawers. :wink: Not sure why. My reading of history suggests she let a whole lot of guys get a peek and more.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Wingaersheek II
Cape Dory 27 #250
Port Washington, WI

Not necessary to add a track and car system...

Post by Wingaersheek II »

I don't think it's necessary to add a track and car system if you switch to a fully battened main AS LONG AS there are no other pre-existing problems raising/dropping your main that you are looking to correct. One caveat to this might be if you're switching to some stiffer high-tech sailcloth (e.g. mylar).

My CD27 has a fully battened main using the original slide and slug system. At the start of every season, I lube the slide with McLube Sailkote. The sail goes up smooth & easy and drops like a rock. I replaced the sail a couple years ago and it never crossed my mind to change anything with the setup since I've never experienced any issues.