Wanted to Buy: MAST MATE

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
Frank Vernet

Wanted to Buy: MAST MATE

Post by Frank Vernet »

Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in buying a Mast Mate for my CD-33. The P value is 37'.

Anyone out there looking to sell theirs?

Let me know.

Thanks

Frank
"A sailor's joys are as simple as a child's." - Bernard Moitessier
darmoose
Mystic Rose

Post by darmoose »

Frank

I have a Mastmate (at least I think that is what itis) which i think is at least 37ft long. It is at my boat on the magothy. I live in Severna park, north of Annapolis. Are you still interested in finding one?

Darrell
Frank Vernet

Post by Frank Vernet »

Darrell,

The link below will take you to the Mast Mate website:

http://www.mastmate.com/

Does yours look like those? What size CD do you have? That will tell me if it may be long/tall enough.

Thanks

Frank[/url]
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Post by RIKanaka »

Have any of you used Mastmate? Looks interesting. Are 3/4" nylon internal track slides strong enough to hold this in place (I suppose the bulk of the weight is carried by the halyard)?
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Frank Vernet

Post by Frank Vernet »

Bob,

You'll get a better response if you post the question to the General Board. I don't think too many CD'ers regularly "troll" this Buy/Sell Board.

Frank
darmoose
Mystic Rose

Post by darmoose »

Frank

Sorry I took so long to get back to you, I haven't been paying attention. I left you a private message in reply to yours.

Darrell
Russell

Post by Russell »

Frank, I am curious as to why you want a mastmate rather then an ATN top climber? I went the top climber route myself and I am happy with it, though it is a bit of a work out to use it seems more practical to me.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Jerezana

I loved mine

Post by Jerezana »

I had a Mast Mate with me when I was out cruising single handed for 9 years and loved it. At the time, my boat was a Crealock 37 with a second track on the mast, presumably for a storm jib. With the extra track, I could leave all the mainsail slides on their track while running the mast up on the other. Once I pulled the halyard taut, I felt perfectly secure going up and down and working at the top.
Chris Gordon
BillNH

MastMate vs TopClimber

Post by BillNH »

Russell wrote:Frank, I am curious as to why you want a mastmate rather then an ATN top climber? I went the top climber route myself and I am happy with it, though it is a bit of a work out to use it seems more practical to me.
I've used both, and found the MastMate much more stable than the Topclimber. Working off a fixed mast allows much less motion, as opposed to a halyard that is only fixed at the ends (no matter how taut it is). If you only have a single mast track (like most boats) the Mastmate will require you to strike the main if you need to go aloft underway, but the Topclimber underway can be a wild ride in itself! Once set up the MastMate is much quicker to go up and down. One disadvantage of the Mastmate however, is that it's no good for working away from the mast (like resecuring spreader boots or unfouling a wrapped ensign on the backstay).