Traveller Rail

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Gary H

Traveller Rail

Post by Gary H »

In rebedding the traveler rail on my CD22D, I was surprised to find that it is fastened with only small washers and nuts. There were no backing plates, nor does the deck appear to have any additional reinofrcement in that area. Is this typical? I suspect that their would be consideral force pulling the rail away from the deck.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Traveller Rail

Post by Neil Gordon »

Gary H wrote:In rebedding the traveler rail on my CD22D, I was surprised to find that it is fastened with only small washers and nuts. There were no backing plates, nor does the deck appear to have any additional reinofrcement in that area. Is this typical? I suspect that their would be consideral force pulling the rail away from the deck.
Easy enough to add backing plates, I suppose. But it also raises a question I don't know the answer to...

Depending on point of sail, of course, is the main sheet, and accordingly it's attachment point(s) to the boat, subject to the same force as the backstay? More? Less?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
shavdog

Original Traveller?

Post by shavdog »

Gary do you have the original unit?....I was thinking about replacing my original with something more current like from garhauer...The original unit is too cumbersome to use on the go..
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

If the small washers have been there and you don't notice any problems you could certainly add some peace of mind by going to fender washers.

I sometimes use a fender washer then a standard washer and an elastic stop nut. My reasoning is that the combination of washers will help spread the load, Steve.
Russell

Post by Russell »

Consider that the load on a traveler track is already pretty widely spread, massive backing plates are probably not really necessary. My CD36 does not have backing plates for the genoa tracks and is only thru bolted every 3rd or so fastener (rest are wood screws into the toe rail), and I am not at all worried about it. I spoke to someone a couple weeks ago who had to remove and reinstall their genoa track on an Ingrid 38 (by no means a boat anyone would call under built) and every single fastener was a wood screw, none thru bolted, and that replacement was due to hurricane dock damage, not failure.

On my boat, I have removed a lot of the factory hardware at some point, and in every case so far, I have found that the deck in areas where hardware was installed was always solid glass, never with coring. So while you may not noticed any reinforcement where your traveler track is, I am willing to bet there is, in the form of it being solid glass rather then cored like the rest of your deck.

The washer are fine IMO, if you remove it and replace, I would upgrade to fender washers, just because a couple extra cents a washer does not hurt for peace of mind, but I cant imagine big backing plates being necessary here considering how spread out the load is. CDs with elevated travelers and thus only two attachment points to the deck are another story though and substantial backing plates are important.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
shavdog

cd22 Traveler

Post by shavdog »

I ordered a new traveller system from Garhauer today...If you look at their catalog I ordered the mt 3...comes with the rail, car and two ends..my rail is curved so for 30 more they will bend a rail for me...total cost is 280 less 10% nov sale...I won't mount this for a few months as its under cover for winter..end to end mine is 44 inches.
Johnd

Garhauer Traveller

Post by Johnd »

What degree of bend are they going to use? I want to replace the traveller on my 22 as well.

Thanks,

John d
Godspeed 27
Chesapeake Bay
CDSOA member # 1325
shavdog

Bend

Post by shavdog »

John...Heres what I did...I laid a four foot yard stick on its side and centered it on the traveler thats on my boat...I then measured the distance at both ends which was about 1.5 inches ...he will bend the rail so the ends are 1.5 inches lower than the center...don't use that as a guide however...when I get it I will see how that looks and report back...my plan is to remove the old track and use the new one...its physically a large size rail(1.25x1inch)than the old one so I may have to play around with it so the car slides ok...the car is 2 3/8 x 4inches on the new one so I need clearance..I allready know the handle for the rear cover has to come off...but thats ok with me..
GLutzow

CD25

Post by GLutzow »

I need to replace the traveler system on my cd25 as the car and block are hopelessly broken. Has anyone done this and what system did you use that will fit into the space between the motor well cover and the rear of the cockpit?
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
tartansailor

CD-25 Harken Mid-Range

Post by tartansailor »

New thicker, wider teak back plate athwart ships.
Harken mid range traveler.
No pre-bend needed.

GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

I assume that I see a temporary boom gallows in this picture. Nice!
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
sfreihofer

Re: CD25

Post by sfreihofer »

GLutzow wrote:I need to replace the traveler system on my cd25 as the car and block are hopelessly broken. Has anyone done this and what system did you use that will fit into the space between the motor well cover and the rear of the cockpit?
Greg;

I replaced the traveler on my CD-25. I had to go with the 3/4" Schaeffer track, because they no longer make a car and block for the 1/2 in track that came with the boat. Or is it 1" track instead of 3/4"? I don't remember and I'm not where the boat is so I can't check it. The point is, you would have to replace both the track and the car/block.

I have the car and block from the original smaller track, and I can't use it since I went with the larger. If you'd like my car and block, a couple of bucks and postage will get it to you. It's in good shape, and may be your easiest solution since that size is no longer available from Schaeffer.

Let me know.

Stan Freihofer
1981 CD25 #794, S/V Pearl
Ft. Lauderdale
Instant Bubble-head. Just add water.