Intimacy issues with a 1982 Yanmar 1GM

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Intimacy issues with a 1982 Yanmar 1GM

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Over the past few days I have become very "intimate" with my 1982 Yanmar 1GM.

One of the "issues" that has developed is her apparent unwillingness to let me get too close to her fuel filter assembly. When I try to loosen the ridged cap and pull down the fuel filter housing to inspect the filter she resists mightily.

There is a rod (possibly throttle rod :?: ) that seems to prevent the fuel filter housing from coming all the way down below the filter so the filter can then be removed, inspected and either placed back in the assembly or replaced with a new one.

I would be interested in solutions others have come up with for this issue - how to remove and reinstall the fuel filter.

Thanks in advance for suggestions and recommendations.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

Perhaps a bit of wine, some sweet talk with soft music in the background might help. Failing that, a good dose of beer for yourself helps to alleviate some of the pain.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Ken Textor

Move it permanently

Post by Ken Textor »

Robert,

When I installed my 1GM a few winters ago, I moved that fuel filter way out to the forward end of the engine. It was really a simple project to complete. I will try to attach an image here of what it looks like completed. But if I fail, send me a PM and I'll send you the photos that show you what you should do if you want to avoid this problem for the rest of the time you own the 1GM.

Ken[/img]
seadawg
Corpus Christi, Tx.

fuel filter

Post by seadawg »

If you are talking about the primary fuel filter on the engine block it is necessary on my engine to remove both fuel lines from the filter and loosen the nuts on the far end of these lines. Also on my engine it is necessary to remove the bracket that the filter is attached to. Charlie
Dean Abramson

Primary/secondary

Post by Dean Abramson »

I think that the correct terminology is that the non-engine-brand (like Racor) filter which is mounted somewhere on the boat, in the fuel line, between the tank and the engine is "the primary filter." Just sayin'...

Robert, which one are we talking here?

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Spent another day cleaning S/V Bali Ha'i. She acquired a lot of "road dirt" during her trip from NJ to Miami. Her decks and topsides are now reasonably clean although they will get more dirt while at the yard. The cabin was spotless when delivered by the prior owner - probably cleaner than my home. :oops:

Greg:

I tried a bottle of excellent Chianti - Chianti Ruffino Reserva Ducale (2007) and soft Italian melodies. They did not work. :(

Ken:

Your photo did not show up - at least it did not on my computer screen. :(

Charlie (Seadawg):

That was pretty much the conclusion I came to but I figured that it must be wrong since it involved so much disassembly each time you want to just check the fuel filter.

Dean:

Apologies for not being clearer. The filter with "intimacy issues" is the one located on the 1GM engine block towards the rear on the "starboard" side. It appears to be original equipment from Yanmar - gray color, etc. It has a metal fuel line running "IN" and a metal fuel line running "OUT" - pretty much the way Seadawg described how he checks the fuel filter.

There was another fuel filter that was on the engine compartment wall starboard side. It was very large but easily accessed. I replaced it with a more compact Racor 2 micron filter.

If everyone sticks to their projected schedules I hope to launch on Veteran's Day, Friday, 11 November 2011. I am hopeful this is a good omen. :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jeff G

Post by Jeff G »

There is a steel pressure line that runs just off center of the fuel filter. I had to bend mine slightly so the bowl would slide down far enough to remove it. Do not get too aggressive on the bending because you do not want to put a kink in that line.
Carl Thunberg

What brilliant engineer thought of THAT?

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Changing the fuel filter just shouldn't be that hard. Damn engineers. They think they know everything. Oh, yeah, I forgot. I am one. :oops:
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton